A woman's complaint

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by johan neeskens, Nov 14, 2009.

1. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    You've all known me for years. I'm hardly the vulnerable type. I don't neg rep because I think the repping thing is fascist. I can stand up for myself. I'm no angel myself. I however am getting sick and tired of the fact that sexist comments are not being reprimanded on BigSoccer. The things that are said to me in my face - replace Neeskens with black person and would you and your mods let it slide by? Would you tolerate a reply to a black person showing the face of a battered black person go by unmodded? I'm sorry but this is unacceptable. I'm an early generation free speech is everything internet person but the line has to be drawn somewhere. The way I and female posters in general, and indeed women in general are being commented on on this forum and the way you as a forum are letting people getting away with it is unacceptable. And I'm someone who's been going to football games with people of the male species since she was eight mind you, it's not like I'm not used to anything. God help you if real feminists ever stumble upon this website.

2. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Oh and check the Italian national teams board while you're at it.

3. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Please PM me some examples.

4. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Women don't exist on the internet

5. three lions

three lions Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Neeskins does have a knack for getting under poster's skin from time to time, but I would agree that some of the posts in the Italy -Holland match thread were uncalled for...They would have been binned in the England forum..

6. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Unfortunately all of the active moderators on the Italy board are in some strange form of limbo. We recieve emails but can not access the moderators forum. We can close threads but can't issue cards.

This seems to be the case for all moderators on the Italy forums, except Dante.

7. three lions

three lions Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hmm, that's strange... Hopefully, that will get sorted out for y'all...

8. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    If you could bring it up on the moderator forum or to some of the supermods I would be grateful. I have PM'd Dark Knight but he's not around today.

9. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I think Johan Neeskens has a fair point here. I went to the Italy forum and came in the Holland-Italy thread across disrespectfull photo's attached with her name on them, a picture of Adolf Hitler and some distastetefull sexual remarks. It's a clear example of wrong behaviour and the persons involved should know that they can't get away with it, because I saw one guy just opening the next thread with the same style of posting. I understand the need to spice threads up but not at the cost of people feeling attacked, made irrelevant or even made into an entity which you can treat and insult as you will, because of who they are.

10. mattteo

mattteo Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Neeskens made clear racist remarks towards Italian people multiple times in the past*, as a quick search through her posting history shows. It is no surprise that some people had strong reactions towards her inane, mindless trolling.

The only thing that went wrong yesterday was letting her post into the Italian forum instead of banning her racist ass the second after she made her appearence in the game thread.

* https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2121717&postcount=5

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showpost.php?p=14596421&postcount=314

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showpost.php?p=17478231&postcount=125

11. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I think you as a person should signal what you think is racist, stereotyping and what is a teasing remark. Every post should be dealt with accordingly by the moderators. Nobody can claim the moral high ground without being held responsible for his/her own words and actions.

What I'm still waiting for is how two wrongs make something right. In this case how somebody's past remarks lead to it being oke to use pictures of Adolf Hitler and beat up women to portray somebody in a certain way.

12. mattteo

mattteo Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It's basic newtonian physics: action--->reaction

If people get punished for those pictures, then the thread opener should be banned indefinitely for multiple racial slurs (the last of which occured just a few days ago).

Otherwise, let's just erase this thread, put back the mods in full charge, ban neeskens from the Italian forum and pretend nothing really happened.

I don't like people pointing fingers without first taking a look at their own behavior.

13. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    As I pointed out to you Matteo, I made those comments on Free For All. All of my comments on the Italy board were football related. If you want to have a go at me in any of the non-soccer related threads, feel free, I won't mind one single bit, as I've proved in the past I'm hardly one to whinge about that kind of thing. But FFS, if you don't understand why all of that was uncalled for in a thread where I commented on football related matters only, then you need your head examined. This wasn't a one off, that is why I started this thread. There is an on-going trend across all BigSoccer boards to belittle women in general - and the mods generally seem to let these posts get by. By contrast I've been posting on the Dutch board for years and have NEVER felt insulted. This to me underscores that this is the mod's doing. A board will go as far as the mods allow it to.

14. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    What exactly did I say on the Italian forum that should get me banned exactly? It's the mods job to impose forum rules. If I've ever said anything going against forum rules, then by all means ban me, I've no problem with that. I've yet to see you say anything against the post directed at me though. Hmm.

Let's just erase this thread indeed. I guess even you deep down don't feel comfortable about what was posted in that thread about me then eh.

15. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Mattteo once neg repped me for saying that Genoa is a great town. :D

I wouldn't get to worked up about posts made in a FFA chat thread and now being taken completely out of context.

If you think Neeskens is racist - well I am sorry but you are just wrong.

16. Prawn Sandwich

Oct 1, 2003
    Bhutan
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS37SNYjg8w"]YouTube- Women: Know Your Limits! Harry Enfield - BBC comedy[/ame]

But seriously, having had a few run-in's with Johan in the past I disagree with her on a fair few things but on this I think she's pretty much spot on. No poster should have to face that sort of knee-jerk discrimination and abuse simply for posting a reasoned opinion. It's one thing to mix it up in a rivalries forum or FFA where you know there's a chance an offensive response will be made but it's out of line anywhere else IMO.

And to echo Jitty, johan may be many things but racist isn't one of them

17. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    To be fair to the Italy mods, I don't think it's right to accuse them of condoning this sort of stuff. None of them were online when everything was going down in the PBP/Post-Match thread, and then some technical issues in the last 24 hours have prevented them dealing with it. I get the impression it's being dealt with now.

18. Prawn Sandwich

Oct 1, 2003
    Bhutan
    Absolutely (and I alluded to this in the mods forum as well). My point was more in general - we stamp down on other forms of bigotry in the main forums so why should sexism be any more acceptable?

19. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    It is and the mods there actually apologised to me and I'm perfectly fine with all of that. I'm not even pointing the finger at anyone specifically, I wouldn't even have carded whatshisname if it were up to me probably. I'm just not happy with the general trend of sexism being tolerated on BigSoccer.

20. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    FNU got what he deserved. Unless you want to defend the use of the picture of a battered woman for (questionable) comedy's sake... :rolleyes:

21. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I'm just going to come out and say how much I disagree with you and this campaign you've taken up.

The poster made absolutely no racist remarks in the Italy - Netherlands thread that is the key in this situation. The only person that went out and searched after remarks to use against her was you. As far as I am concerned your behavior did nothing but escalate the situation and help create the reaction.

Honestly I'm very disappointed with you. I'm disappointed because you ARE a good poster. You are not one of these childish posters always looking for an argument. You could have helped diffuse the situation, instead you helped to make it worse.

And over what? If she is so arrogant as to believe that stuff she wrote, then it's her loss. I happen to know that Italian people are some of the friendliest and most loyal people in the world, and I've lived all over the world! If she wants to believe that crap, it's her loss.

The next time something offends you, you go and report it. Quoting these things in the Italy board serves no purpose what so ever. You just agitated people, some who are very immature, and brought them down to the same level of bad behavior that you were trying to protest. How utterly counter productive!

What's the end result? A person that was likely looking to get arise out of the posters on another forum was able to do so without breaking any rules.

I'm very proud of being Italian, so reading some of the stuff you quoted bothers me. However if someone else has a problem with me over my nationality then it's their loss. I will set the better example by not even acknowledging them.

That's my two cents on the situation.

22. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just want to point out that this is a WR post.

But since we don't live in a vacuum, we don't have to be equal and opposite.

I haven't seen the thread in question, but the point that neeskens is making about the sexists posts on BS, IMO, is correct.

23. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    I never meant to insult anyone but if I did, I apologise. The comment I made about Italians was on a non-football related thread. Comments are made there about clog wearing cocaine sniffing windmill dwelling prostituting Dutch people all the time - by my forum friends even. I couldn't care less about those and nor does it hurt my Dutch pride, actually some of it is quite funny. These are just stereotypes though, used for fun in a bit of banter, no harm done. Putting up pictures of a battered woman on a football-related thread however is on a whole other level. I don't really get that some people can't distinguish between the two but then again that's probably the problem to start off with.

24. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTPsFIsxM3w"]YouTube- The Truth About Amsterdam, RE: Bill O'Reilly loves Amsterdam[/ame]

Don't forget your 'wonderfully naive ideas about teaching your children to have sex and smoke grass'

25. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I hope you did not misinterpret my post. I just wanted to illustrate a point to Matteo about how he failed to help and only made the situation worse. I understand that the post came from a free for all thread and it was probably only meant as a joke.

There is no harm done as far as I'm concerned, but more importantly I wanted to try and get across that even if the post he quoted you from was serious and malicious it really doesn't change the situation. Him quoting it and posting it for all to see in the Italy - Netherlands thread only served to escalate the situation and raise tension in the thread. The appropriate action would have been to report it to a moderator.

So I hope I didn't give you the wrong impression with my post. The thread he dug up is from 2004 and in a forum full of stereotypical behavior. Everyone realizes that he took it and used it out of context. I was more trying to convey that while he is hiding behind the guise of the offended patriot he's just making matters worse instead of improving them.