A theory on Bruce's Plan vs. Morocco

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Casper, May 24, 2006.

1. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Bruce chose a lineup that valued experience over anything else. The only logical substitutions to get a more seasoned player on the field would have been Lewis for Gibbs (which didn't happen because of Eddie's participation in the Demerit Promotion Party) and Bocanegra for Onyewu (which is even arguable.) At every other position, Bruce went with the player with more cup experience. Maybe this was a way to give the vets the first shot at claiming starting spots; maybe it was so that the inexperienced players would get to watch the vets comport themselves a little bit first.

What did we learn? I imagine Bruce wanted to see if we could pull off Reyna and O'Brien together in midfield, to see if that's a viable starting lineup. Reyna's injury puts that experiment in the "unresolved" category. I think Gibbs performed to expectations, and the other defenders were themselves except for a tragic Cherundolo brain cramp.

Where Bruce got a little creative was up front, with a sort-of one striker and sort-of three striker formation. It simply didn't work. Minimal wing play may not be the right way to attack the bunker, and Donovan almost seemed too self-restricting to the middle. Wolff wasn't as dangerous as Johnson, or Dempsey or Convey.

Obviously Reyna and O'Brien won't be paired again, and I imagine we'll either see a 3-5-2 with true wing players or a 4-4-2 with at lineup designed for a true attack from the wings. I imagine you'll see Johnson get a chance to establish himself, and perhaps Dempsey as well. As much as we love some of the individual players in the "experience" lineup last night - Bruce might have forced it a little too much trying to get these eleven guys on the field. The best squad for most situations might require leaving a healthy Reyna or O'Brien, or even both, on the bench. It may almost certainly mean making Wolff an offensive sub instead of a starter. That's what I'm taking away from this match. Luckily for us, from Bruce's history as WC '02, I know that he's flexible enough to make a drastic change, and bench and "unbenchable" player like Reyna or O'Brien. And we can all watch Wolff's only start be against Mexico in a thrilling final, in which he'll surely bag a hat trick.

Maybe guys just didn't know where to be positionally in a 4-3-3 / 4-5-1, depending on how you perceive what happened. But at least there were valuable lessons learned, and we're ready to kick back and cap Michael Bradley on Friday.

2. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nonsense. Bruce was trying to do only one thing: Give me an aneuerism.

Didn't work! Haha Bruce, can't kill me!

3. Mason16

Mason16 Member

Apr 11, 2001
    South Florida
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    repped (in spite of the Avatar). I think Wolff may have raised his hand for the spark off the bench role because he didn't claim a starting position at all. I would have liked to see more Dempsey to see if he's sped up his game enough to be effective against a competitive team like Morocco yesterday.

4. ill quixote

ill quixote Member

Apr 5, 2006
    Very interesting. I hadn't thought of that.

5. imasyko

imasyko Member+

May 16, 2002
    Spring City, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why is it 'obvious' that we won't see Reyna/JOB paired together in the middle? Is Reyna's hamstring so bad that he is out of the tournament?

6. OutKast3000

OutKast3000 New Member

Jan 7, 2004
    I doubt that Bruce would ever pull off Onyewu and put on Dempsey....even if we needed a goal.

He was taking risks last night plain and simple.....now IS the time for that not on the 12th of June.

With that said -- Bruce's plan or lineup wasn't at fault.....it was pure execution on the part of the players. One misstake is all it takes these days.

7. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    I should have written more clearly - I meant that we won't see that on Friday. I agree that it's possible we'll see it in Germany ... I just don't like the idea.

8. Wallydrag

Wallydrag BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 24, 2002
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which is the beauty of last night's game. That's exactly how it's going to be in Germany and it's better they experience what it's like to be on the losing end of such a mistake now than in the WC.

9. kylesoccer

kylesoccer New Member

Mar 24, 2004
    boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i actually thought he would have taken cherundolo out for dempsey and moved pope to the right. although pope is not a right back, you have to play your stronger hand. Even before the cherudolo blunder, pope was better than him. leave gooch in the middle and gibbs on the left.

10. supershark

supershark New Member

Jan 10, 2006
    From Ohio, now Texas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

11. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Well thought out, and probably correct.

If you recall, Arena also fielded a geezer lineup for our first true (i.e., non Grenada) road qualifier in the '06 WC qualifying cycle, against Jamaica. Included Vanney, McBride, Stewart, Reyna, Pope, and Armas. He got ripped for that one. But it gave Earnie the chance to die with his boots on. I would guess that the idea was similar for that match, too.

12. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    I happen to like Reyna and JOB as deep mids. It was a good try.

13. TxFan

TxFan Member

Sep 6, 2001
    i don't understand why "its obvious reyna and o'brien won't be paired again"

14. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia

Friday approaches...

15. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia

I'm sure once/if Reyna is healed we'll see it again.

16. Caulfield

Caulfield Member

May 31, 2004
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think so too, but Lewis & Dolo will have to be in the back to give us some wing play, which was needed last night.

17. mrliioadin

mrliioadin New Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Hagerstown, MD
    I think the reyna/job pairing is a long shot just because it implies we'll need 5 in the midfield. with 5 in the midfield comes either 3 at the back or a lone striker.

Mcbride isn't a very strong striker one on one. and we don't want to play the czechs or italy with only 3 defenders.

18. swedust

swedust Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    I wonder if we'll see a greater emphasis on the wings in these friendlies. No doubt we'll need it in Germany, but I wonder if Bruce isn't challenging these guys to develop other viable options to offset flank play. Clearly, they struggled to do so v. Moracco; they may be focusing on trying to figure out something else. Such an emphasis helps explain the 4-3-3, which I happen to think we haven't seen the last of.

Anyway, that's one of my theories on Bruce's game plan.

19. maddog36

maddog36 Member

Mar 2, 2006
    Bergen Cty, NJ
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally, I've moved into the camp (is there one? I don't know) of moving a healthy Reyna over to RW. Pablo as a Destroyer, JOB as the playmaker, Donovan as the 2nd striker teamed up with McBride, Beas out on the left (really, let's be honest, Convey is not starting there from the get-go). It puts all our best passers out on the field, and allows for overlapping runs by both the RB and LB. Convey and Dempsey in as late subs to run at the opposing defense.

20. DaMa

DaMa Member

Jun 17, 2002
    New York

I still don't see why we need a destroyer. Look at it this way. Ignore for a moment, the uncharacteristic gaffe by cherundulo. Defense is not really our problem. Granted against the Italians it might be... but it's at least as likely that our problem will be breaking throgh THEIR defense. Reyna and JOB are both very similar players. Holding-esque midfielders with good vision who have had significant defensive responsibilities in their careers. Add in DMB and you have 3 midfielders, at the least, who can help out on defense without sacrificing any offense whatsoever.

Don't get me wrong, I love Pablo. I would have no problem with him starting whatsoever with Reyna out on the right. But it is obvious at this point, that scoring goals with our anemic forwards will be a lot more of an issue than preventing them.

At this point I would favor moving Landon up to a withdrawn forward role (assuming a 4-4-2), having JoB and Reyna in the middle with DMB and Dempsey/Convey on the wings (Wolff cannot play the wing... I know people think hey he is fast, makes good runs, can't score to save his life, why not? The answer is I dont know... but we saw that he is at best a late sub). If necessary move Reyna out wide and have JOB and Pablo in the middle. Landon may have looked hesitant around the goal against Morocco... but he can put it in the net. Nobody other than McBride has the slightest ability to claim that at this point.

We need offensive spark, having JOB and Reyna both in the middle to pick out the best runs and get the ball there is our best chance to provide it.

21. Zeppelin

Zeppelin New Member

Jan 24, 2006
    I think DMB should be on the bench in Germany, he isn't as good player as during early season of PSV, or it just Convey plays better soccer.

22. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is only an opinion of course, but I would think watching the USMNT play would answer that question, at least in part. First, the whole idea that a destroyer means the player can't pass or do anything offensive is wrong. You don't have to look any further than the Morocco game. IMHO, Pablo was better for the offense in this game because (1) he won more balls, which gave the offense a jump start and (2) when he won the ball, he either dribbled it up the field at speed and then distributed it or distributed it quickly, usually down the field. Reyna on the other hand, played slower and more deliberately which can be critical against teams contesting us in the middle of the field, but which was of zero value against a packed defense. Generally, destroyers not only help your defense but if they can play or carry the ball forward like Pablo can, they help the offense by creating more transition activities.

Too similar and not dynamic enough for me in most situations.

Which is why having both Reyna and JOB in the game is NOT a good idea.

Let's see McBride didn't score (other than one cancelled game) goal for his club in his last few months and was completely useless against Morocco. Instead of worrying about Pope, I would worry about those players like McBride who are slumping for both club and country.

I am not sure that adding different characteristics to the mix might not be better for the offense.

23. maddog36

maddog36 Member

Mar 2, 2006
    Bergen Cty, NJ
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See, I guess we see different reasons for not breaking down the defense, and getting the ball to our forwards. I see it as a lack of vision, overall passing ability and not being able to control the ball. Please tell me who has those three qualities besides Reyna, JOB and Pablo? If Reyna and JOB are not dynamic enough, who would you put in there that has the passing skill and vision? Donovan!?? Riiiiiiight.

I'd rather have someone take their time to make the proper pass, then be quick about it, and turn it over. The idea is to KEEP possession.

We are also going to need a destroyer IMO against most of the teams in our group. Since they outclass us in attacking play. And yes, Ghana's Michael Essien is better than ANY of our midfielders.

Anyway, I doubt we'll see that lineup, I just think it would be a good idea.

24. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Landon Donovan is the US all-time assist leader, and still not old enough to rent a car at a regular price. But I'm sure we can come up with a whole lineup of players more likely to make a great pass likely to lead to a goal than he.

25. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see the cause as:

Having a left back that nobody had to guard;
    Having a power forward who won few balls sent his way;
    Having an off-forward who is simply not much of a threat when he shoots;
    Having a left/center mid in Demarcus Beasley who has totally lost his abilityt to make things happen;
    Having nobody using the right side of the field, including an off day for our right back going forward.

The cause was not Pablo Mastroeni winning balls and sending the ball forward.

Yes, Donovan. He is much more likely to make a dangerous pass than Reyna. It is hard to say whether he is more likely than JOB, because we have seen so little of JOB to make a comparison. Even more importantly, LD is more likley to create his own chance or set up a chance for a teammate by using his speed or dribbling than Reyna or JOB -- in those situations chances can be created with a more simple pass. And if you have JOB and Reyna playing together, you get a bunch of possession passing plus some low-probability passes that are made with a lot of skill, but are still low probability. In other words, difficult passes are only one way to breakdown a ddefense and, IMHO, not one that should be relied on exclusively.

That's ONE idea, and the right one against some teams in some situations.

Wow that's a newsflash. Thanks.

Fair enough. I have a lot of doubts.