a survey about the most popular club in EUROPE

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by oxygen041, Jul 17, 2003.

1. oxygen041

oxygen041 New Member

Jul 15, 2003
    china
    i am a chinese fans ,i want to know more about brazil football, can you tell me which EUROPE club have most fans?

real madrid or ac milan or others?

2. Riotom9

Riotom9 Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Texas
    I'm trying to learn about figure skating. Do you like ketchup or mustard on your hamburgers?

Sorry, couldn't resist...

3. MIGkiller

MIGkiller Member+

Flamengo
    Brazil
    May 9, 2003
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I don't know if that's what he wanted to ask, but I will give a try.

European clubs don't have really a fanbase in Brazil because there are plenty of good teams here in Brazil for people to follow. Euro clubs have "watchers" in Brazil mostly because of the brazilian players who are playing or have played there.

You can see a lot of people wearing european jerseys around here, but mostly cuz they are "cool" or have the markings of some brazilian star.

When Bebeto was at La Coruña a lot of people were following/buying their jersey.

Same thing with Romario/Ronaldo when they were at Barcelona.

When Ronaldo transfered to Internazionale you could see some new Inter jerseys as well.

Now people are paying attention to Real Madrid (Ronaldo, Roberto Carlos), but their jerseys haven't exploded here yet.

There's also the rivalry factor: when some european club beat any of the local rivals in Tokyo they would also cheer for them just to tease their rival fans.

When Vasco was to face Real Madrid in 98 some Flamengo fans founded the Torcida Fla-Madrid :)

I bet there were also a lot of new Ajax fans in Porto Alegre when Grêmio was to dispute the world championship with the dutch club in 95. Maybe SoccerScout can confirm this. At that time Grêmio was very unpopular among other fans too, including flamenguistas, so I bought an Ajax jersey myself.

4. oxygen041

oxygen041 New Member

Jul 15, 2003
    china
    but the entire level in europe are more high than south america. don't you admit that ? the local club plays a talent producer role. they feed a good player and sell it to change money. so as a asian, we only watch europe league.

5. MIGkiller

MIGkiller Member+

Flamengo
    Brazil
    May 9, 2003
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    No. Why should I?

There's too much hype and marketing about the european clubs and championships.

Did you see how boring was the Champions League final this year? The last Brasileirão and Libertadores finals had much more excitement and entertaining value than that.

6. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    because it is true - the best players of south america are largely found on european teams, but how many of europe's best players go to SA?

i'm not sure one match really represents all european football - what about inter-lyon, ajax-milan, real-manU? - those were barnburners - besides excitement doesnt necessarily equal quality - dutch football is maybe the most exciting in europe, but certainly not the best league

7. oxygen041

oxygen041 New Member

Jul 15, 2003
    china
    marketing indeed exist. it is why football can develop quickly in europe. money is motivity.
    hype is mere to see. you don't have provement.
    i know the south american football are excitement, but it is not practicality, triumph is higher than everything

8. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    No, it is not true. And this is partially a fallacy. Why would the best European players not go to South America? I will give answers:

A: Because South AMerican is a miserable place to live?
    B: Because the competition of South America is on a vastly lower level and they want to challenge themselves?
    C: There is more money in Europe - and the economies of Europe are **generally** more stable.

You can make somewhat of an arguement for A+B. But I'll bet the most popular and most correct answer is "C". The Brazilian and Argentine leagues are two of the best teams in the world. The top teams can compete with anyone. You simply cannot dismiss that there are loads of talented players in South America that do not wish to go to Europe for whatever reason.

I always warn against falling into the misconception that "Europe is better because the best of South America goes there" because that isn't always true. And when you get beyond the business aspect of the football, well, if you live in Sao Paolo and are a huge SP fan, chances are you do not care what is going on in Europe.

As for what UEFA taems fans tend to go to - it is sort of like Migkiller said. IF you are a Ronaldinho fan, and saw him go to St. Germain, okay then suddenly you may be a St Germain fan. It is funny - I really do not think that Real Madrid took off though.

9. oxygen041

oxygen041 New Member

Jul 15, 2003
    china
    I will choose A and C .
    which side is strong is judged by the match in tokyo. recently years ,the win side are european side most time. refer to real madrid , can you tell me who is more better than ronaldo or carlos?

10. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    the answer is C

of course it is true - i'm not trying to downgrade south american futbol, the distinguishing factor is that the world's best players, many of whom are south american, go play in europe - european football is much deeper in quality - please you shouldnt judge by looking at the best teams (bocas v. milan, santos v. real, etc.), let's for fun compare something like the 5th best team in each league:

liverpool
    parma
    hertha berlin
    valencia
    sochaux

atlético-MG
    colon
    santiago
    santa fe

in my view, not much question which group is superior