** A New Era - Rebuilding the Azzurri

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Stamos, Nov 13, 2017.

1. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Have u ever played soccer? When you’re on a run like that and there’s a clear shove like such.. what do you think is going to happen?

Rosay repped this.
  2. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    more like a tap.

3. UdineseFan98

UdineseFan98 Member

Mar 12, 2017
    St. Catherines, ON
    Club:
    Udinese Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Berna didn't dive

calabrese8 repped this.
  4. O'Ghiattone

O'Ghiattone Member+

Jan 11, 2014
    Ireland
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Doctore Agricola

5. GIGI RIVA

GIGI RIVA Member

Fiorentina
    Canada
    Aug 24, 2009
    Guelph Ontario
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    As far as a rebuild goes for Italy I think we are on the right track but there is still work to do.I may get criticized for this but This years U21 TOURNEY which Italy is hosting and at the same time Italy has had some very good success over the past 20 years or so . will probably be the most important in a very long time . Im not saying they have to win but a successful tournament will do wonders for confidence etc

6. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    As I posted on the youth team thread, I have a feeling some of the senior team players will play for the U21's & U23's.The 19 year olds, Moise Kean and Nicolò Zaniolo , 20 year old Gianluigi Donnarumma and 22 year old Nicolò Barella are all still eligible to play for the youth teams and I don't see any reason why they wouldn't be included in a non WC year. Italy's last qualifier this year is on June 11th and their U21's start on June 16th. If I was DiBiaggio, I'd pick them.

7. Insigne4BalonD'or

SSC Napoli
    Italy
    Apr 6, 2017
    In Hiding with Sal's mom
    An U21 team of

Donnarumma
    Calabria - Romagna - Bastoni - DiMarco
    Barella - Tonali - Mandragora
    Zaniolo
    Kean - Cutrone

Can someone confirm if I listed any players that are not eligible? It's hard to imagine a team like this not going far

8. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #858 falvo, Mar 24, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
    Thinking it over more, I'm not sure if DiBiaggio and Mancini will let them play in both the Euro Qualifiers and the U21's but I believe some will be picked for both. I can't imagine them leaving both Keane and Donnarumma off of the U21's...... .

Here is the current list of the U21's...

[​IMG]

9. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    And you're not convinced that he's world class yet?

10. Insigne4BalonD'or

SSC Napoli
    Italy
    Apr 6, 2017
    In Hiding with Sal's mom
    Mandragora is a players I've rated

Rosay and calabrese8 repped this.
  11. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    my prediction is by next years Euro's we'll see Orsolini in the squad.

He's been getting more and more time at Bologna recently and has looked pretty good..

Rosay and Insigne4BalonD'or repped this.
  12. TorontoCalabria

Fiorentina
    Italy
    Sep 12, 2018
    I thought orsolini was going to be the real deal a few years ago, havent seen him much recently but it seems against top opposition his silky skills are nullified. How do you rate him in 2019?

13. Gilbertsson

Gilbertsson Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Apr 1, 2012
    Geneva
    Club:
    Toronto Croatia
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    There are no great Oriundo players, where 2,3 football federations would fight for the players. Usually, their birth countries don't invite them, so they hope to play for Italy. Best solution is to turn to the domestic league players, youth national teams.
    U21 team has players from Sampdoria, Napoli, Milan, Genoa, Parma, Udinese, Torino, Atalanta, Roma, Juventus.
    Interesting, no one from Inter, Lazio, Fiorentina on this list.:confused:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italy_national_under-21_football_team

U19
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italy_national_under-19_football_team

U17
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italy_national_under-17_football_team

14. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Italian players need to be on Italian top teams. We can’t have a bunch of players all over the place. Italy was at its best when players were at Juve,Milan, and inter with a few players from outside those few teams. Making players who are playing their career at smaller teams will not bring Italy success.

totti fan and r0adrunner repped this.
  15. Gilbertsson

Gilbertsson Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Apr 1, 2012
    Geneva
    Club:
    Toronto Croatia
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Italy is on intersection period. Several European countries started to accept players from migration communities in the last 20-30 years, mostly their previous colonies. That's how they are successful. I don't think that this can be the good idea in Italy. Club ambition dictates that they buy top footballers and invest expensive amounts for hiring them. Money which was given to Ronaldo, Juventus or FIGC could open several youth centres with academy status. Soon it will be normal to see billion USD teams which end among top 8 in the Champions League. But some day, this pyramid might collapse. Banks are not so patient. Greek, Turkish, Cypriot, Russian, Ukrainian, Romanian clubs collapsed because of irrational financial construction. This is visible among other clubs: Anderlecht, Grasshopper, Stuttgart, Schalke, HSV, Newcastle, Fulham, Southampton, Leeds, Aston Villa, QPR, Bolton, Celta Vigo, Villarreal, Malaga, Deportivo, Mallorca, Zaragoza, Monaco, Nantes, Bordeaux, Sochaux, Auxerre, Lens, Udinese, Parma, Palermo, Venezia, Anzhi. These clubs were once great.

16. Alex101

Alex101 Member

Mar 15, 2017
    Italy are doing fine in producing young talent these days. problem is Germany,France,England and Spain are still ahead of us.

17. Insigne4BalonD'or

SSC Napoli
    Italy
    Apr 6, 2017
    In Hiding with Sal's mom
    And not by a little

18. Gilbertsson

Gilbertsson Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Apr 1, 2012
    Geneva
    Club:
    Toronto Croatia
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    They are taking descendants of different ethnic groups which joined since 60's, 70's. Germany wouldn't have Rudiger, Goretzka, Sane, Gnabry, Gundogan.
    France would only have Pavard and Thauvin. Spain uses domestic players in their clubs in much wider range, that's why they are great. They took Diego Costa from abroad.

Alex101 repped this.
  19. TorontoCalabria

Fiorentina
    Italy
    Sep 12, 2018
    I wouldn’t overate some of the other European giants at the moment.
    Besides France and Belgium none have been overtly impressive both on the field and on paper.

I don’t think we are far behind England at all.
    Besides Kane they don’t have anything that we substainly lack.

Zaniolo Kean Chiesa Barella etc are all unknown outside Italy. If you break through in England you’re a known quantity but time will tell if Foden has a better career than Tonali.

We’ve been here before with the likes of Scholes being rated above Pirlo until the evidence was clear.

Talent “on paper” isn’t everything in international football, especially the Euros. A strong group identity and players that fit can go further than a bunch of stars, as we’ve seen. We’ve rarely had the perfect 11 in the past if ever.

Each national team is extremely fragile, including Brazil Germany France. We are growing and can give anyone trouble if Mancini does half the job Conte did.

Germany and England are both overrated at the moment.

Rosay repped this.
  20. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    England are far overrated... especially Kane.

He's good..but he's not a world class player. He can take his hat trick and penalties vs panama and stick that phony golden boot up his culo

21. Gilbertsson

Gilbertsson Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Apr 1, 2012
    Geneva
    Club:
    Toronto Croatia
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Balgium and France are the most complete teams. The Netherlands is trying to return, they are not far from top. Spain is changing generation, but they always have great players. They can't resolve team spirit with Catalan, Basque, Galician players. Portugal can be complicated, but their defenders and attackers are often weaker. Central players can't resolve things alone. Two draws at home they have. England is solid, on individual quality of Sterling, Rashford, Trippier, Sancho, maybe Welbeck.

22. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    Kane is a world class player. Stop. I get the English get carried away at times, but let's be rational. Outside of Messi and Ronaldo, there isn't one out and out striker I would take over Kane.

Let's also not over-hype our guys. Don't get me wrong, I am excited about some of the younger players coming through, but until they are making meaningful contributions at the top level with the best teams, we won't win anything. National teams that win have star-studded starting XIs where almost everyone plays at a top club. We're not there....yet.

r0adrunner and indestructible repped this.
  23. Alex101

Alex101 Member

Mar 15, 2017
    Thats what bothers me these days about International Football is England, Germany, Belgium and especially France are all very multicultural, I would say a good half of the their squads don't even have origins from their countries, Italy and Spain are a last of a dying breed in Europe.

Ya sure if we brought in massive amounts of African and Asian immigrants we would be just as good as France, but were not so I can take value that in the fact that if we win or lose its with our own kind. Not being racist but that's what international football should be, its changing now and its a shame.

Deleted User x repped this.
  24. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    If you had the choice to have Harry Kane or any of the guys I list below (excluding Messi and Ronaldo).. you are taking Harry Kane?

Mbappe, Suarez, Aguero, Salah, Hazard, Neymar

25. Insigne4BalonD'or

SSC Napoli
    Italy
    Apr 6, 2017
    In Hiding with Sal's mom
    As a number 9 I would go with Suarez and Aguero tbh. The others are more wingers than natural #9's.

I'd also throw in Lewandowski before Kane

calabrese8 repped this.