** A New Era - Rebuilding the Azzurri

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Stamos, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Stamos

Stamos Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It’s like that in every league. Three or four top clubs flanked by average/mediocre sides that are vying to finish top half of the table. Nothing new.

It appears as if Serie A is in the beginning of a resurgence, ironically (saying that because of the latest discussions in this thread, for lack of a better word) started/pushed forward by a certain Portuguese superstar. Now with Ronaldo in, and Juve going all in on their European adventures, Milan looking to pump some talent (and a young, talented Italian backline) and perhaps bring back Conte to the Italy, Napoli with Ancelotti, Inter going after Modric, and Roma looking to continue to develop their global appeal, Serie A is on the up. Investment and sponsorship, spurred on by a global signing, is what was always needed and it appears that’s what’s developing.

MLS is what it is. Giovinco did nothing of note in Italy – really talented, but got pushed off the ball far too often and never realized the immense potential he seemed to have early in his career. Would have barely made a difference for the Azzurri.

You don’t just ‘try out’ players during crucial qualifying games.

Rosay repped this.
  2. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    well you do

Giovinco went form a top team to an average one, in an average league, so it's easier to score goals for him. How does your statement no longer apply to him?

calabrese8 repped this.
  3. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    How did Luca Toni do it? He went from Bayern to Roma to Genoa to the Juventus bench and to Al Nasr in the UAE Pro-League at 34 years of age. He went to Verona, scored 48 goals and was the Serie A's leading scorer at 38 years of age. He was discarded and done as a player and no one wanted him anymore and he came back to the top of the Serie A on the scoring charts and scored 48 goals in 98 games. I'm not comparing Giovinco to Toni but if he could do it, you honestly believe it can't be done? Of course it can.

4. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    So what you're saying, is that the theory of going to lesser teams is non existent then? You know from Genoa, to Juventus, to Al Nasr, then Verona, etc? From one lesser team to another back to a good one, then lesser, then ok, none of it mattered for Toni or Giovinco, but did for Bonucci and players in all other sports?

5. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    How do you know Toronto is an average team? I doubt you ever really watched them play week in and week out not do you follow them. Anyone can say MLS is this or that but you have no clue until you watch and analyze games on a weekly basis and I don't believe you or anyone else who bad mouths the league really does religiusly. They were Runners-up and Champions in two consecutive years so they aren't as bad as you think.

6. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    It's in a shitty league that might be comparable to Serie C. I've watched enough MLS, more than you watch Serie A, to know that it's slow, defending is horrific and tactics almost non existent. Giovinco never has to actually face competent defenders, at all, ever. If you watched Seria A today, instead of reminiscing about it 100 years ago :p then you should be able to observe the same thing. They give him so much space on the ball that if he didn't score the goals he did, I'd worry that he was injured, like maybe sporting a broken femur or something.

Same argument can be said of you and not watching Serie A. I do watch MLS though. I probably go to more games, on the road. It's a cheap way to get a bit of soccer in. I watch more than you think. It's still a garbage league.

It's garbage.

calabrese8 repped this.
  7. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    That is not true. I watch the games and the training sessions. It doesn't have highly paid or greatly skilled players but its not as easy or as crappy as you think. Again its not the Serie A but its a good league.

Regardless, you or no one else will know if Giovinco will do well or not until he is given a chance.

8. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    What part, that you don't watch Serie A, or that MLS is shit?

Yeah but you want to believe it's good and that clouds your judgement. Also you have nothing to compare it too because you've said yourself you hardly watch Serie A, or champions leagues, or many internationals anymore. If you did, you'd see how slow, sloppy and tactically non existent MLS is. It's a shit league.

But you do
    because you just acknowledged it's "not Serie A" admitting it's a lesser league and according to you,

"In any sport., you go from a top team to an average one, you could easily lose a step, your stamina, speed, strength, ability and continuity. That is true in every sport."

This is true "in any sport" and since MLS is at best an average league (I still think it's a shit one) then the argument you made applies to Giovinco.

And he was given loads of chances when he was with a good team, which also according to you gives them more stamina, speed, strength, ability and continuity. He couldn't do it then, and now that he's been in a bad league for so many years, then surely your argument about him losing stamina, speed, strength and continuity applies.

You can spin it all you want, but this is your argument.

9. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    First of all, why are you arguing about this and why is this such a huge issue for you or why do you care so much about it?

Secondly, I’m not spinning anything. The only two leagues I watch are the Serie A and MLS. There is absolutely nothing to spin!

10. Stamos

Stamos Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    :ROFLMAO: My thoughts exactly. The guy literally argues/debates/whateverthe********youwanttocallit everything and within minutes. He must not work or collects an early pension or on maternity leave or something...

*Calciopaulie response in minutes...*

totti fan repped this.
  11. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Exactly! Vai a lavorare! LOL!

12. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    i cant speak for Pauly. but for myself.. it's when Seba stated that TFC would finish mid table in Serie A and all those MLS idiots (pundits) ran with it. I think they would get pumped by a Torino, a Sassuolo, a Genoa, etc.

I always tell people to try watching an MLS game after watching a major European league match. You see it instantly, the clunky heavy touches, the abundance of space, etc.

Rosay and Calcio Pauly repped this.
  13. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Why are you arguing about it, and why is it a huge issue for you and why do you care so much about it?

So your argument that players who go to lesser teams was just a fake argument about nothing then?

14. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I have the stamina. Don't be jealous.

I get paid well, what's the problem? :p

How about seconds?

I'm just giving Falvo and his pretend arguments a workout. Poor guy has been responding non stop while he works about something that he didn't think through clearly enough.

So I'm helping exercise the brain. You could use a bit of exercise yourself, lol.

Stamos repped this.
  15. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Well there you go. Jovi himself, even while overrating his team, said it would finish mid table in Italy. So if Falvo's argument that going from a first placed team to a 6th place team cost us the world cup because Bonucci couldn't score literally within 5s and lost a step, continuity, stamina and some hair on his head, then it must be the same argument for a midget striker that couldn't produce on multiple occasions.

If he and Stamos would only watch a bit of football once in a while, then maybe we could get somewhere with this discussion, like how Luca Toni could have scored goals with blinders on for Al Nasr and probably while doing hand stands against Sweden. Maybe Vierchowod could have helped us bribe the Russians instead of them helping the French and we could have secured a fifth world cup, if only Bonucci didn't do something unconceivable and leave Juve just to return again.

Back to work Falvo :p maybe you can tie it into Berlusconi saving Milan from B in 1980 with the help from the Dutch trio?

16. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #666 falvo, Aug 7, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
    Ma vai a dormire Pauly! Ti voglio bene! :thumbsup:

Stamos repped this.
  17. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Of course! CNN certainly won’t give Trump credit so he may as well pat himself on ghe back hen he can! Just like Seba! Go TFC! :thumbsup:

18. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    You sound over worked :p

19. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    How do you explain his seasons with Parma then? And in the two games he featured for the Azzurri in 2015 he was the main catalyst as soon as he was subbed in.

20. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    guys Giovinco is shit. he's an all star in the MLS which is sweet but the MLS is shit.

turco3 and Calcio Pauly repped this.
  21. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Jovi is not shit. He's exactly where he needs to be, the center of attention on a team that he can make a lot of money from and win them championships. But the league is crap.

calabrese8 and Stamos repped this.
  22. Stamos

Stamos Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    He was the focal point in Parma and a goal every third game isnt exactly a milestone. Great stats but 20 goals in 60 games doesnt necessarily make me turn my head either.
    And neither does 2 good games..

I like Gio but there's a big part of me who will always be disappointed by him not reaching his potential. Him and Balotelli were supposed to be the next generation after the Del Pieros/Tottis...and though Mario showed flashes, Gio disappeared. Watching him on the field flail his arms looking weak made me shake my head multiple times.. Then the fact he took a fat contract to go play in MLS at the peak of his career...says a bit about him in general - that he lacks the mental fortitude to be a focal point in an important program. Maybe Im wrong and overthinking but thats the vibe he gives me.
    Good player, talented, phenomenal dribbler and playmaker - and maybe he wouldve been something special in Italy....but thanks to his MLS adventures, we shall never know.

And here's the kicker (pun intended) - I LOVE watching him for TFC. He looks like an absolute star out there most of the time.
    But also completely different vibe compared to his time in Serie A. For a reason..

23. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #673 falvo, Aug 8, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    My MLS team for sure is crap. They wouldn’t even make the C2! We paid a designated players salary to a guy from Sweden no one knows or ever heard of over $1 million dollars. He is complete crap!

They then got a Swedish coach and another crap Swedish league player.

Like Who TF has Sweden ever beaten?

24. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Great post, but I have to ask, why are you afraid of saying that MLS sucks? Just let it out already, lol.

The bottom line here is that Jovi essentially retired at 28 years old and is getting paid double what he made when he was really playing the game in Italy.

Well of course he is, he's playing in MLS. Only retired footballers go there to make bank and not have to run much. We all know that. They get paid for selling jerseys and making tv show appearances. It's all rigged for fans who want to believe...

Falvo stop posting and go to sleep already :D

25. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #675 falvo, Aug 8, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    Just awoke ! Gotta love those Swedes! How about that everyone else gets overaged superstars and my crap team with an Italian GM had to buy a 28 and 25 year old retiree.