** A New Era - Rebuilding the Azzurri

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Stamos, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Stamos

Stamos Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Let's preface this thread with the following: Fvck Ventura.

With that said, who's our next manager?

Who do we move forward with on the pitch?

2. St. Michael's Sword

Mar 7, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Ancelotti is available and in the right part of his career for the gig.

3. krado33

krado33 Member+

May 23, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Is he going to do a 4 year plan? i.e. risk not qualifying for the Euro to build for the future. If it's another Conte (focusing on immediate results) then that would be a waste of time.

Calcio Pauly repped this.
  4. johnny6

johnny6 Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Jun 29, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    We need a long term coach not a quick fix

5. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Ancelotti is the best guy available.

6. romanista8910

romanista8910 Member+

May 7, 2010
    Roma
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Agrees. Someone who doesn't view that national team as a 4 year retirement plan.

7. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The only coaches immediately available for the job right now are Ancelotti, Mazzarri and Guidolin.

Ancelotti is the one with the most prestige. Obviously he has to want the job but I don’t think he is in it for any long term project.

Guidolin has a decent reputation and one of the best Italian coaches dealing with young players. But he suffers from anxiety and totally pussy from all accounts. Was one of the suggestions post Conte.

Mazzarri is a great hire if the FIGC want to continue to go in the wrong direction.

We can always promote Di Biagio from the U21’s.

Then you have heavy hitters like Mancini and Capello. Both command insane contracts that the FIGC likely can not afford unless some sponsor steps up and foots the bill. But their brand of Italian football is contrary to the direction we need to go.

If Italy really want to change focus and direction they would need to look to EDF, Sarri or Spaletti. All unavailable

8. GIGI RIVA

GIGI RIVA Member

Fiorentina
    Canada
    Aug 24, 2009
    Guelph Ontario
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    This Sucks But I am not surprised I have not liked the way Italian Football has gone in the last 10 years ., I think major overhaul is necessary get rid of the old start over. Taveccio, Ventura Galliani please go away start investing in the youth like Germany did 20 years ago or even France did . As far as a Manager I think Anchelotti would be a good pick he is available. But he needs it be longterm If Conte leaves Chelsea grab him/.

9. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Someone young and hungry

10. GIGI RIVA

GIGI RIVA Member

Fiorentina
    Canada
    Aug 24, 2009
    Guelph Ontario
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Italians are best when they have a massive chip on there shoulder . If he is available My choice would be Spaletti

11. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007
    As far as the players go, blood in Chiesa as soon as possible. Play with SES and Insigne for the time being.

Unearth talented midfield players....

Rugani, Romagnoli will probably be taking over the defense.

Rosay repped this.
  12. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Chiesa is having a sophomore slump. Looking at the roster for the playoff against Sweden, though, I giggle a little that there was no space for Benassi on this team.

Pietro Calcio and Calcio Pauly repped this.
  13. Alex101

Alex101 Member

Mar 15, 2017
    This thread is too soon, who ********ing cares right now. I wanna read headlines that say everyone fired. 2006 to this......:sick:

14. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    If someone could have hit the target today and we won, I would have been all over Ranieri just for the short team until the WC is over. He always gets results in a short period of time before coaches figures him out. Otherwise, it needs to be someone who's in it for the next 5 years. If Carlo is the man, let him do his work and give him a worthy contract.

1st - Exlax the whole federation, top down...crap it all out
    2nd - beg Ancelotti

15. Majin

Majin Member+

Arsenal
    Mexico
    May 7, 2013
    Zacatecas
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    forza azurri

16. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    I don't read threads that I don't want to read.

17. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Does Bernardeschi play much for Juve? I was surprised today to learn he was on the Italian NT.

18. Rob_420

Rob_420 Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Not because I am a homer, but Simone Inzaghi would be a great hire for the long term. He isn't going anywhere though.

19. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #19 Dante, Nov 14, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    Some things Italy needs to do...

1 - Clean house at the FIGC. Tavecchio needs to go, and the influence of Lotito needs to be purged.

2 - A new coach that is focused on grooming younger players and make them ready for Euro 2020 and WC 2022. Get them playing now. Anyone under 30 should not be considered at all.

3 - START taking friendlies seriously. The more you win, the better you rank when it comes to seeding. There's a method out there and it works. There's a guy that does this stuff for a living for national teams and it's proven to bring them up the ladder and get better seedings. He actually reached out to the Italian NT but was ignored. Start listening to him.

4 - Focus on youth development, this means allowing B teams in the lower divisions. The B teams should be capped with a 3 foreign players on the field limit. Focus on getting the younger players better competition and playing time. Limit the age to B team players to 21 or 23.

5 - STOP blaming foreign players.

6 - Invest in better stadiums, better stadiums bring in more people, which in turns brings in more money for the teams.

juveeer, Edhardy, romanista8910 and 3 others repped this.
  20. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Hmmm...

21. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I was blaming foreigners I'd say no foreigners on the B teams at all, what I'm saying is capping 3 of the 11 on the pitch. 8 must be Italian, this is to develop younger Italians. I also edited that to include an age limit on the B team players as well, keep those B teams for the younger players.

If I was blaming foreigners I'd say cap the senior teams to just 3 foreigners total. I'd call for halt to the influx of foreign players, but I haven't said that at all.

St. Michael's Sword repped this.
  22. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    It's sort of the same thing, and anyway I agree, there should be a limit so there is time and room for younger talent to develop.

23. world soccer magazines

Oct 31, 2016
    Kick anyone 28 and over to the curb.

Get a young manager and play young players.

Play the same team almost all the time with the same formation as much as humanly possible.

24. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The problem with Carletto is that he is still the cream of the crop of European managers (Along with guys like Pep and Mourinho). There will always be a European big looking for him and willing to pay him top dollar. Also I think that Ancelotti likes the grind of the European calendar ie. working with the team daily. One of the reasons Conte didn't like the Italy job was the large gap between games.

25. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Sacchi: ‘Ancelotti not enough’
    By Football Italia staff
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Arrigo Sacchi says appointing a great Coach like Carlo Ancelotti won’t be enough for Italy - “look at the two disastrous World Cups”.

The Azzurri have failed to qualify for the tournament for the first time since 1958, and the former CT spoke to SportMediaset about the national team.

“This defeat isn’t a result of chance, just look at the two disastrous World Cups,” Sacchi warned.

“The right team is born of so many things, it’s not that one player makes the difference. Our problem is cultural, football is a team sport, not a personal one.

“The whistles are born of the result, Ventura has had a dignified career.

“In these cases we look for a scapegoat, we easy our collective conscience this way but an individual can’t solve the problems.

“Ancelotti is great, but we need to do so many things differently from the way we are, starting with the basics.”

GIGI RIVA and Pietro Calcio repped this.