A Midget's Worst Nightmare, he'll eat you like Breakfast - The Almighty Pepe thread

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by raven3k, Jun 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. .halamadrid2.

.halamadrid2. Member+

Nov 5, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Still our best CB and our club are refusing to give him a deserved contract. Pathetic by the club

ABB94 repped this.
  2. janos audron

janos audron Member+

Apr 12, 2010
    Still going strong!

Digital repped this.
  3. ABB94

ABB94 Member+

Feb 18, 2015
    England, UK
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Much better than Varane

4. RaMaaa

RaMaaa Member+

Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    It's his hair! looks so fresh fast and young :D

CR7PT and Shay Z repped this.
  5. Aimar 21

Aimar 21 Member+

Jan 27, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    It's true he puts world class performances more often than not, and I still believe he is our most reliable CB, but our CBs situation in the summer is a delicate one.

A center back lineup consisted of Ramos, Pepe, Varane, Nacho, and Vallejo is simply not practical. My preference would be giving Pepe 1 year extension, moving Nacho to back up either fullback (he will be 1000 times more useful than Danilo and Coentrao), and slowly introducing Vallejo into the team, but can we keep testing Varane's patience? I know he has yet to make a case for himself but he admitted that he was closer to leaving in the past summer than ever before, so I kind of understand it if the club thought of making Ramos-Varane our starting defenders in next season and let Nacho and Vallejo be their backup. It'll still be sad to see Pepe leave, but it looks reality now.

Doni, MerlinRM, ABB94 and 1 other person repped this.
  6. Digital

Digital Member+

Dec 10, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Agree, but we can't have another Benz situation of "just because", Varane still has a lot of this season to prove that he deserves to start, I think he can recover, but I would be opposed to making him and Ramos the starters just because he was close to leaving or might leave, whilst on the pitch he puts in subpar after subpar performances, I wouldn't want to watch that for a whole season just to keep Varane happy,

he's got time, he needs to up his game and on a consistent basis to how he used to perform to prove that he is the one who should be given the spot , IMO his game has dropped off somewhat, all of this is not to say keep Pepe until the cows come home , if he's gone at the end of the season I will sorely miss him and his quality as a player his love for the club, his determination and his influence on the team, I'm just commenting on the reason why Varane should or should not be given the starting spot.

7. Crimson

Crimson BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 11, 2009
    Vallejo is better than you give him credit for. He is way ahead of Varane atm, go and check his performances against Bayern, Shalke, Wolsburg and BvB this season.

8. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, but he has had several mediocre performances as of late, which has me worried he may hit a wall a bit. I don't think he is completely ready but with Pepe likely to walk it may not matter. Vallejo reads the game well but could stand to be more aggressive in his marking. He and the central CB in their 3 man backline are not great at marking strikers/forwards that get in between them, as one assumes the other has it covered. Vallejo also comes out a lot to cover mids pushing up and is good at it, but it can leave the backline exposed for near post runs on his left side of goal. Guy is talented, no doubt, but not every showing is been like the ones you mentioned.

Shay Z repped this.
  9. Crimson

Oct 11, 2009
    Vaelljo has been average in only two out of his last seven games and the reasons why are pretty obvious. Against Ingol his partner got a red card early and he was taken off at HT for a niggle. Against Leverkusen where they lost 3 nil he wasn't even bad and was easily the best of the defenders, he had 2 tackles, 3 interceptions, 1 blocked shot and 10 clearances. The other game you could criticise would be the RB game but they had an early red card and the fact everyone was bad makes that game moot.

Put him in Madrid and Varane in EF and we would see the difference in quality.

10. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, we disagree on this a bit. And that's ok. I think Varane would be just fine at EF.
    Vallejo has impressed me ( and everyone else) in many matches, but I've also seen him slow to react or out of position in others. Also, he needs to be more physical at times to as you will see players beat him to headers as he isn't timing his jumps correctly. Pepe's stature helps him of course in the air, but his aggressiveness and willingness to take risks also stops a lot of attacks. Vallejo is fundamentally sound but I don't see anything that makes me think he is head and shoulders above Varane. Rafael is held to a pretty high standard because of his early success with Mourinho, and injuries have hurt his ability to regain that.

Again, to reiterate, I like what I see with Vallejo but we really don't know how he'll play in a Madrid jersey. We have all seen how some players are up for that special challenge and some are not. That's why I won't say Vallejo > Varane, even if Rafa isn't in peak form.

Edit: it's insane that Vallejo is only 20. Wild.

11. Aimar 21

Aimar 21 Member+

Jan 27, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Overall I agree with your post, but just to clarify I didn't mean we should just hand Varane the starting spot because we are afraid to lose him. Although he is not having a good season, but maybe with a fresh start, having the trust of the club as a main CB and getting the continuity with Ramos in a team with hopefully a better defending system than the one we use now, maybe then we will see the real potential of this guy who was incredible at 19 years old.

It's not guaranteed of course, it can fail and Varane may never regain his form, or it could go the other way around and Pepe may have a drastic drop in performance but that's a risk we gotta take in football, but I just wanted to point out that if we want Pepe to stay then it could be "Pepe for 1 year and then Vallejo taking over vs. Varane for the next 8-10 years" summer question, and that isn't easy one to answer.
    To be honest I didn't follow him closely, mostly I'm reading the reviews you guys post here and in other websites, he seems to be doing very well and I didn't suggest otherwise. It's possible he is a head of Varane now but we know RM is an entirely different universe in terms of the expectations so I'm not sure if he will be doing better with the team in his first season than Varane is doing now or if he should replace him in long term for that matter. Being 4th CB in RM seems a pretty good step for him IMO, he will get some playing time with the reliable injury history of our defenders and Ramos' suspensions and at the same time he won't be thrown into the massive pressure here.

12. Doni

Doni Member+

Dec 4, 2010
    London
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I'd still take Pepe over any other CB over the course of a full season. Is he a top 5 Madrid CB of all time?

Excape Goat repped this.
  13. Crimson

Oct 11, 2009
    I'd say so, my top 5: (no particular order)

Santamaria
    Sanchis
    Hierro
    Ramos
    Pepe

Excape Goat, Digital, ABB94 and 3 others repped this.
  14. .halamadrid2.

.halamadrid2. Member+

Nov 5, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Contract!!!!! Where is the bloody contract??!!!

CR7PT, MiamiNative0722 and surgeon repped this.
  15. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's still got it. Really don't want to see him go. *slow tears*

YOUNGSTARS87, raven3k, CR7PT and 6 others repped this.
  16. MerlinRM

MerlinRM Member+

May 5, 2014
    NorthEast USA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I really don't get his situation. He wants 2 but the club wants 1 year right?

Ideally we extend and still bring back Vallejo who can get minutes since our CBs are injury prone.

17. PigBenis

PigBenis Member+

Sep 5, 2015
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He wants 2 years but club is offering 1 with an option to extend for another. I think they have Vallejo in mind and also intend to keep Nacho therefore they are hesitant on renewing. But yeah ideally we extend and still bring back Vallejo. Sell Danilo and Coentrao and use Nacho for the FB positions.

MerlinRM repped this.
  18. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Anyone remembers that we were after Chivu before Pepe? Chivu decided to stay in Italy and joined Inter instead. Glad it panned out that way. :D

Doni, Aimar 21, Digital and 1 other person repped this.
  19. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    Oh god. Yes, I wanted Chivu because he could "also play LB". :D

Excape Goat, Doni, Aimar 21 and 3 others repped this.
  20. Shay Z

Shay Z Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Oh God. Yes. I remember. Hahhaha. It's funny now but damn what a good move it's been. Thank you for the service Pepe.

Doni, djak_24, Aimar 21 and 3 others repped this.
  21. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which one of you chumps actually wanted Chivu over the majestic Pepenbauer???
    *tries to remember which one I preferred*

22. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Man, i remember how much sh*t i got when i wanted Pepe and we paid 30 mil. for him. Marca and AS ran out on the street asking people "do you know Pepe? Real Madrid paid 30 mil. for him" That proved to be a bargain.

Doni, YOUNGSTARS87 and CR7PT repped this.
  23. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Turned out to be an absolute steal. I remember him being touted as a quality player but I also remember 30 million looking like A LOT at that time for a defender. Glad it worked out for Madrid and Pepe. Playing at the top for this long is a huge achievement.

Saeta Rubia and Digital repped this.
  24. Crimson

Oct 11, 2009
    Most expensive defender in the world at the time I think

25. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    I think Nesta's transfer from Lazio to Milan was for slightly more.

4x4s repped this.