News: A Long, Strange Trip - 2018 DCU Season Thread

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by morrissey, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Adler

Adler Member+

Aug 20, 2003
    das Schloss Adler
    Club:
    DC United
    Cough. Poplar Point. Cough

Ouch.
    Reading this (above) makes truly lament what a lost opportunity Poplar Point was. Its original 80-acres could have included the parking some of us crave. Even if parking ramps had been built instead (to facilitate the shops, bars, etc), Will Chang would have seen to it that a few acres was left open for tailgating. The FO he headed-up didn't despise the SGs like the current one seems to.

PSURoss, sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  2. ejs1111

ejs1111 Member

Aston Villa | DC United
    Mar 1, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    I understand the concern you are having. Of course it would be glorious to have parking garages adjacent to the stadium. Unfortunately that did not happen.

But your paragraph is not entirely genuine. This 'land' was not available to acquire. Land swaps were already done and property was acquired for AF, and it took over a year to complete the process. What other property do you think is available nearby? The PepCo site is in the way of ANY land acquisition- and moving that facility was estimated at over a $100 million. So that was NEVER going to happen. Those lines run to the White House.

And don't mention eminent domain- that is typically a last resort and nearly always leads to lengthy legal battles. Akridge is already taking the parcel to the south of AF through the planning process to develop it as residential/commercial. Imagine how costly that parcel would have been if DC tried to 'force' Akridge to sell it to DC for AF. It would have not been affordable. Eminent Domain sounds great in theory- but the govt is required to pay 'fair market value' for the property. The site is already designed for about 500 residential units and 100k SF of commercial space. Thats easily $100+ mil on top of the $150mil DC already spent acquiring land and site prep/street prep. Akridge land was never going to give that up without DC paying big time. Buzzard Point property DC got was the most we were realistically going to get in my opinion.

The 'open air' bar is a temporary situation while the Akridge site is going through the design/approval process. In another 18months that site will be under construction.

ElApacheTevez and Winoman repped this.
  3. ejs1111

ejs1111 Member

Aston Villa | DC United
    Mar 1, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    I agree... Poplar Point was the LOST opportunity. That was the best place for Audi Field, potential training site too, commercial, etc, etc.

big spaniel, PSURoss and Winoman repped this.
  4. ejs1111

ejs1111 Member

Aston Villa | DC United
    Mar 1, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    I mention the eminent domain as a negative in the earlier post because as a land planner I've personally worked with developers on projects involving eminent domain.

They find out that the govt wants to take a piece of their land for highway expansion/etc, they immediately have us prepare bogus lot layouts filling the parcel with development to increase its value and get the review process started. Then when the govt comes knocking on the door, this parcel is no longer agricultural/undeveloped...its shown as potentially developed with SFD's, townhouses, and commercial to increase its value so eminent domain is ALOT more expensive.

Akridge is NO different... if someone tried to take their land for the stadium- they will maximize the value of their property.

The legal battles are when the parties dispute the 'new' value.

Winoman repped this.
  5. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    New Audi Field at Poplar Point is still my dream.

John L, dcchelseafc, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  6. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That ship’s sailed. Poplar Point is being heavily developed in the next few years.

7. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United
    Come on lottery!

ejs1111 repped this.
  8. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Have I missed a bunch of approvals?

9. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Doesn't the Park Service/DOI need to approve anything there as well?

10. rocketeer22

rocketeer22 Member+

Apr 11, 2000
    Oakton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman repped this.
  11. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
  12. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    So how are we going to shore up this defense? I know we've mostly played on the road, but we're still giving up too many goals. 24 goals in 12 games. It's a miracle we have any points with that kind of defense.

The Brillant experiment is not working. I'm also feeling like De Leon's time at DC needs to wrap up for our benefit and for his. Trade him somewhere for a bag of peanuts, even if it just means dumping some salary and opening a roster spot.

The whole world is focusing on Rooney, but surprisingly, I don't feel like it's our attack that needs help. I'd be more excited about us adding a central defense leader like Geoff Cameron.

I say just keep going with the hot attacking hand of Arriola, Stieber, Asad, Acosta and Mattocks. For the first time in a long time we're scoring goals at a good rate (19 goals in 12 games). The one offensive area I'd like to see improvement in is set pieces ... which goes back to my #1 transfer priority : a top center back. We're creating a lot from the run of play. Mattocks is on track for 20+ goals and Asad is on track for 12+ goals. Acosta is on track for 15+ assists and Arriola is on track for 12+ assists. If our defenders could pitch in with just a handful of goals on set pieces, we could go from a decent attack to an above average attack. All without dropping multi millions on the controversial Rooney.

GumbyG, DCUSA, Winoman and 1 other person repped this.
  13. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    A lockdown CB would help DCU win, Rooney puts butts in seats and improves ROI. Guess which choice this FO will make?

MattR, Q*bert Jones III, Winoman and 4 others repped this.
  14. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    The wrong one

MattR, Q*bert Jones III, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  15. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it was Benni... but someone said that if we were to drop serious money on a transfer it should have been for Tim Parker when he wanted out. I agreed then and I still do.

We are paying Birnbaum and Brillant serious money and the ROI has to be in the negative.

It won't happen but I'd throw Robinson/Opare out there just to see what they can do. They can't be worse than whats on the field.

benni... and Boloni86 repped this.
  16. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't Opare injured?

17. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I think Canouse returning will make a difference. Especially if he's vocal. I love Durkin, but sometimes he's a little over aggressive tackles himself out of position. Canouse was very good at being a screen and maybe that's all we need with a pairing of Canouse and Durkin in two centeral mid spots. I haven't seen a lot of cohesion between those positions these past few games. As strong as our centerbacks are in the air I'd prefer to see teams try and beat us with crosses from the flanks rather than through the middle.

tallguy and GumbyG repped this.
  18. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I agree.

Eastern Bear repped this.
  19. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    New Camp Nou in Oakton is mine.

JRHokie and Winoman repped this.
  20. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I, too, am eager to see Canouse, but he has been out a very long time. Does anybody know what ails him? I have a bad feeling that his injury, plus the ministrations of our crack medical staff, may keep him off the pitch for a long, long time.

21. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Biggest difference we could make with a single move, for me, would be an all-star right back. Of course, if Cameron or Ream fell into our lap, I'd take them in a heartbeat. But I'd be working to get Lichaj or maybe Andy Najar.

DCUSA, Eastern Bear and Boloni86 repped this.
  22. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with the notion of getting a CB. Hell, I was one of THOSE PEOPLE who consistently said that we were overrating Birnbaum, from day 1. But please, not Cameron. The last thing we need is to pick up a 33 year old CB (on July 11), who has missed fully HALF of each of the last 2 seasons in the PL because of niggling injuries. And for that pleasure, we would probably have to overpay by a magnitude of 3 or 4 to get him. No thanks.

fatbastard, Funkfoot, sitruc and 2 others repped this.
  23. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cameron wants DP money to come back to the US. I wouldn't mind him on DCU, but not as a DP.

PSURoss, Eastern Bear and Winoman repped this.
  24. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Birnbaum is having a better season than last year but is still one head clash from selling appliances at Sears. He's all downside looking forward.

PSURoss repped this.
  25. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    It’s really amazing what effect the USMNTs crash and burn has had on players in the league, and many other things as well.