NSR: A gun on Every Corner: Discuss the NRA, Gun Ownership and All Those Non-Mass Shootings..

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by dapip, Feb 20, 2015.

Tags:
?

Do we need more strict gun laws?

1. Repeal the second baby!

54 vote(s)
    51.4%
  2. We need better mental healthcare..

38 vote(s)
    36.2%
  3. A discussion on the topic would be interesting..

29 vote(s)
    27.6%
  4. That's Liberul talk for them to take may gunz!

7 vote(s)
    6.7%
  5. You can pry my gun from my cold dead hands..

15 vote(s)
    14.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
  2. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  3. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Did I need to post in italics, to indicate sarcasm?
    In any event, aside from the staff, the place appeared full of bikers. The parking lot was full of motorcycles, I saw only one yellow car there. Now, who was driving that?

4. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Did I have to blatantly type: "You know what did go wrong? They only killed nine of themselves for one thing..."

5. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  6. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    #106 JBigjake, May 18, 2015
    Last edited: May 18, 2015
    It's not an experiment. These are 2 unrelated videos, in different states (Oregon & Nevada) spliced together.
    The second man is lucky that the Dr. Pepper truck didn't backfire, as the officer pulled up.
    His videos have been on-line for 2 years:

In the second video, the initial officer says that there was a citizen complaint. It's unclear if that was called in, or he was flagged down by somebody.

7. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  8. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
  9. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
  10. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/05/18/waco-texas-biker-gang_n_7307050.html?ref=topbar

Yet white-on-white crime should be a huge concern -- because it’s out of control. Granted, there are 201 thugs off the streets for the time being, but what about the rest of them?
    Around 83 percent of white victims in 2011 were murdered by other whites, based on the most recent
    FBI homicide data.
    As many as 3,172 white people were killed in 2011 -- and 2,630 of them lost their lives at the hands of another white person. This is compared to 2,695 black people, 2,447 of whom were killed by another black person.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    It’s time for a national conversation on how we can help these people alleviate crime rates in their community -- I mean, where are the fathers? -- and it's time for responsible white Americans to step up and condemn the violence.

fatbastard repped this.
  11. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003

The FBI stats include Hispanics in the white totals, which skews the numbers. The quoted passage also fails to note that the b-on-b percentage is 91%, down from the usual 93%.
    Even so, those stats report that 542 'whites' were killed by non-whites, 248 blacks killed by non-blacks.
    That's more than double, 219%, if you haven't got a calculator on your computer. Perhaps all those whites are being murdered by Asians.

12. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Given that there are 6x as many white people as black in the U.S., this argument doesn't accomplish what the author believes it does.

FormerGermanGuy repped this.
  13. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    The 7th Doctor Who got killed (until being reincarnated) by a San Francisco Chinatown gang. Seems like a realistic probability to me.

14. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
  15. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
  16. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Regenerated, not reincarnated.

There, the geek double-header: pedantically corrected someone on the internet ... about Doctor Who :D

I'm really not all that familiar with the 7th Doctor.

soccernutter and Moishe repped this.
  17. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Yeah true. Funny how the words are so similar, and the action is too. I couldn't be bothered with the 6th, 7th, and 8th doctors. I know the rest, to some extent.

18. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  19. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    A couple of problems here. First, "hispanic" is not an ethnicity the way you are using white and black. It means a person from or descended from a Spanish speaking country, but I can assure you that there are countries like Argentina that are extremely white . . . and hispanic. You can thank Julio Roca for making the statistics easier to hash through in Argentina. In fact the US Census Bureau specifically states that a "Hispanic" can be of any race or ethnicity. So, does the FBI stats include black Hispanics? If not, then I'm not sure why you would exclude white people who happen to be Hispanic from the white totals.

Second, while you have your calculator out, you might punch in how many total white people there are compared to non-white. That makes your 219% finding pretty meaningless.

20. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Well, not really. All things being equal, one would expect a group that makes up 15% of the U.S. to kill exactly the same number of people in the remaining 85%, as the 85% group does of the 15%. If murders were random, without respect to the descriptive factor used to create the two groups, that's how the numbers would play out.

I don't wish to add to this particular discussion besides that; I don't have much interest. But I did wish to touch on how the numbers should play out.

21. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    I don't think I get your point, but I'm not a numbers guy. ;) There are significantly more white people available to be murdered, correct? And on the flip side, it all white murders were completely random, then there are a whole lot less black targets. So, if there were 100 black shooters killing in an absolutely random fashion, they would kill 85 non-blacks (no idea how many would be Asian, Indian, etc.) You would also expect 100 random white shooters to kill a total of 15 black victims.

22. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  23. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Not sure how much thought you gave to all that, but in the time it took you to write it, you could have googled 'US Hispanics by county of origin':
    http://www.pewhispanic.org/2011/05/...-counts-for-nation-top-30-metropolitan-areas/
    and found Argentines in 12th place, at 1/2 of one percent. 32 million Mexicans.
    More nonsense. The smaller percentage of blacks kills twice as many whites, a ratio that also applies to other violent crime categories. That may not mean much to you, but it means something to a lot of other people.

El Chuma repped this.
  24. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    #124 Chris M., Jun 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
    [​IMG]

Ah yes. The dirty brown Mexicans, how could I be so silly? Perhaps your delicate sensibilities will be soothed by the fact that as much as 20% of the Mexican population is entirely white and of European decent. A very large number are also "mestiso" with a large percentage of their make up being white. How about Puerto Ricans? Do they fit your definition of brown Hispanics? Because more than 75% of them are white and most of the remainder are of African decent. Cuba? 7 million white, 3 million mestiso and 1 million black. Of course, you could have found all of this on Google in a few minutes as well. It's a shame you didn't actually know that our neighboring countries (and even one United States territory) have diverse ethnic backgrounds, not unlike our own, but instead jump to the conclusion that all "Hispanics" are alike, and all save Argentines are not white. Perhaps that is why our government keeps statistics (that you cite) on Hispanics meaning only that they come from a Spanish speaking country and not a particular ethnicity.

You know what means something to me? Tell me about the economic backgrounds of people killing people. Tell me about the quality of their schools. Tell me what advantages or disadvantages they have in life. I'm guessing that a lot of the violence you reference is an economic problem, but it is sooooooo much easier to simply blame "the blacks."

25. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    You prefer that they both ended up dead?