NSR: A gun on Every Corner: Discuss the NRA, Gun Ownership and All Those Non-Mass Shootings..

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by dapip, Feb 20, 2015.

Tags:
?

Do we need more strict gun laws?

1. Repeal the second baby!

54 vote(s)
    51.4%
  2. We need better mental healthcare..

38 vote(s)
    36.2%
  3. A discussion on the topic would be interesting..

29 vote(s)
    27.6%
  4. That's Liberul talk for them to take may gunz!

7 vote(s)
    6.7%
  5. You can pry my gun from my cold dead hands..

15 vote(s)
    14.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Do you think it has something to do with this?

http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=National_Rifle_Association

The NRA is a long-time member and longtime funder of the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC), and an NRA representative has served on the Public Safety and Elections Task Force, and its predecessor Crime Committees, for many years. ."[10]
    Tara Mica, NRA-Institute for Legislative Action State Liaison, was the co-chair of ALEC's Public Safety and Elections Task Force from 2008 until the Spring of 2011. [11] [12] [13] (formerly known as the Criminal Justice and Homeland Security). [14] While the NRA was co-chair, that Task Force approved the controversial "voter ID" bill and the Arizona anti-immigrant legislation, SB 1070, as model bills, in addition to other gun laws.[15]

3. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    WTF?

https://www.yahoo.com/parenting/mom-starts-guns-with-babies-safety-class-112712837367.html

Shooting sports are evolving into a younger, more professional, more unisex demographic,” Tom Hudson, general manager and investing partner of the CrossRoads Shooting Sports indoor range in Johnston, tells Yahoo Parenting. “And one of our target markets is female.”

So when he met Melody Lauer at a professional networking event and learned she was a firearms enthusiast and mother of three with a passion for gun safety, he says that having her offer the new class — “Babywearing and Carrying” — was a no-brainer. The first such seminar, held in February and offering onsite childcare, drew about a dozen moms and a handful of dads. And now, because of the high level of interest in the topic, Lauer is getting booked up with more plans — like leading a larger weekend workshop at the end of the month, teaching classes at other area shooting ranges, and presenting discussions at various chapters of the Well-Armed Woman, a national resource for female gun owners.

I could not agree more on the highlighted part..

4. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What does it mean when somebody has a "passion for gun safety?"

5. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    That she cannot get off if her guy has a quick trigger?

6. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

I'm not sure, but if the bolded turns out to be a magazine that pre-dates the internet, I wouldn't be at all surprised.​

7. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was thinking more along the lines of safe sex.

8. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Chris M. repped this.
  9. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Its all about the Constitution! I wish they had as much passion for the Fourth Amendment. You know, the one which is really being undermined. However, the money is in the hardware. When it comes to the Second Amendment the money is in the guns. When it comes to the Fourth, the money is in the stingrays.

Chris M. repped this.
  10. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I bet the GOP rhetoric has some folks afraid to admit they have guns in the house since they think Obama's gonna personally come to their house and take them.
    Or that someone would perform a background or mental-health check on them.

11. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    "ISIS IS COMING FOR US, So our government WANTS US TO BE DEFENSELESS!"

Ummmm, hey Rita. Guess what? We spend more on our military then any country in the world by a huge order of magnitude. You and your side arm is not going to stop ISIS (who is not coming for us by the way).

12. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    ISIS got nothing on the Mexican drug cartels. How come one gets so much more bogeyman coverage than the other?

13. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw a quote today, that SAE (Sigma Alpha Epsilon, the frat currently in the news) has killed more Americans (in hazing incidents) than ISIS and Ebola combined.

14. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    #39 JBigjake, Mar 10, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
    http://newsok.com/a-fraternitys-troubled-history/article/5399918
    "A December 2014 report ... labeled SAE one of the most dangerous fraternities in the country, after it found at least 10 student deaths since 2006 related to drinking, drugs or hazing, the most of any fraternity in the country."

I dislike the concept of fraternities & sororities in the first place. I am also offended when political correctness mandates expulsion for idiots making racist comments privately.
    I see Boren condemning the chant. Could "zero tolerance" be extended to expulsion of any student using the 'n' word, even if not directed at anyone else? Playing a song that contained the word in its lyrics?
    http://newsok.com/ou-president-bore...acist-fraternity-bus-incident/article/5400062

"We have to put a stop to the idea that it is a part of everybody's civil rights to say whatever he pleases." - Adolph Hitler

15. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    What is it about horses and dust and manure that makes any of these short bussers think they've got something going on that the rest of us do not? I see you going out of your way to be photographed on a horse and I know you're a conservative, I'm thinking you're a no trim-gettin' simple-ass punk who knows how to ride a horse. Nothing more.

Funkfoot repped this.
  16. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    There are many, many worse things you can do to people than just kill them.

It's interesting that the tired old chestnut of Free Speech got trotted out pretty fast in the media. I read some comparisons to Hitler on FB as well. WTF? It's not like they lost the right to assemble, hop their dumb White asses on a bus and chant dehumanizing slurs about POCs. SAE national has no responsibility to retain their charter.

17. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Well, it wasn't just the "word" it was also a catchy little tune about stringing up African Americans from a tree. It's not that private when you do it on a bus full of women who are not in your fraternity and when a video is released to the world. You are seriously offended when some white kids get expelled after singing about lynchings in the 21st Century? It wasn't that long ago that a black man was dragged to death behind a pick up truck a few hours south of Norman. You don't think that a bunch of white guys singing that song and having the video go viral wouldn't make some uncomfortable?

luftmensch, fatbastard and Auriaprottu repped this.
  18. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    #43 JBigjake, Mar 10, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
    Talking behind their back, is none of those things. You think these guys would be chanting this anywhere public?
    The saying is, "It takes two people to hurt you: one to say something stupid, the second a so-called friend who repeats it to you."
    Yeah! ******** the First Amendment!
    He shared the same sentiments as you.
    Actually, it's exactly that.
    True. But, for that group, the only sin is getting caught.
    Actually, it is.
    Well, they didn't quite post the snippet on their Facebook page.
    Not seriously. They're certainly idiots from the get-go, by joining a frat, an environment generally rife with racist, misogynistic, homophobic & anti-Semitic comments, along with hazing abuses.
    Helluva leap there. You think the killers were inspired by a song they heard?
    Some? Uncomfortable? Oh, dear!
    Boren said that he was up all night!

19. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
  20. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    They were on a bus with roughly 100 people, half of whom were not affiliated with their fraternity at all. Sorry, but that ain't private. You are responsible for what you say in that situation.

I'm not sure why they teach an entire class on the First Amendment in law school. I mean, it's only a couple of sentences and the speech part is just a few words. Oh, that's right. We don't have absolute rights of free speech. Never have.

Oh goody. Hitler references. Because we all know that punishing students for singing about lynching black men is exactly what Hitler had in mind. If we don't allow a good 'ol lynching tune, we are no better than Hitler. Well done. You are masterful at this stuff.

Actually, no, it is not. Feel free to make the argument that these idiots had an expectation of privacy on a bus with 100 people, all of them can be presumed to have phones with video cameras, and half of them have no ties to your organization that you are claiming some privacy expectation.

When you say something publicly, the point is that you don't have to post it on your Facebook page. Any of the other 99 people can do it for you, because, you know, you were not in private.

Wow. Now you are going to make sweeping generalizations about all fraternities as well. They actually aren't generally rife with those things, and hazing has been drastically reduced so that it is real news when you hear about it. But feel free to paint with your big, broad First Amendment brush. You are free to say anything, no matter how inane. But if you are not incensed about what happened to these guys in particular, then what is it? You want to protect your right to drop N bombs and sing lynching ditties on a bus? The PC police are going to keep you from having fun?

It might seem like a helluva leap to you, but I'm guessing that if you grow up black in Oklahoma or North Texas, it's not such a big leap. On the second part, no, I don't think the killers were inspired by a song they heard. I DO think it's quite possible that those killers used the type of "free speech" we are talking about to intimidate African Americans before they actually killed one. It's not the effect on the killers, its the effect on African American kids who are students at OU or live in the Norman area.

Yes, oh, dear! You are advocating for protecting the rights of these idiots in a way that would create an atmosphere where African American students would feel like they are something less. Like they don't belong. Like the University will take them in, but won't include them in what it really means to be a part of a community. You can pooh pooh it, but if my kids were paying big bucks to go to a school where they were made to feel uncomfortable and not a part of the real university community, yeah, I would not be happy about that. President Boren's quick and clear action will help them feel like it is the racists idiots who do not belong and that the rest of the school, starting at the top, has their backs. Well done OU.

21. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    100? Probably 40, not that it matters. It is private. Not one-to-one, but they're not standing on street corners.
    ConLaw 1L is more than the 1A.
    There are a series of standards & tests. If this was the BSU, standing on the front steps of Evans Hall, calling for race war, there'd be a row of constitutional scholars defending their right to free speech.
    Shoe. Fits.
    Try to understand the distinction. Ask someone else to explain it to you. I've tried. You just don't get it.
    Frats suck. End of story. Make your own friends. Don't pay for them.
    Mighty white of you.
    I don't care what stupid things these idiots, or you, say when you're alone, or with one person, or in a small group.
    Don't suggest that I'm saying or singing these things, asshole.
    Any actual evidence of that?
    Life is 1% what happens to you, 99% how you react to it. Not everyone is going to love you.
    Nonsense. What I say is, if someone says Chris M.is an asshole, no one needs to run to you & repeat it. If that person comes up to you & states it to your face, that's another thing. If that person is your boss, or your professor, another matter entirely. Your spouse, understandable.
    You think everyone loves your kids? There are probably days, when you yourself have doubts.
    It's all about donations & damage control. I'd bet his first thought was not, "I'm offended", but "Oh, shit, how do I deal with this?"

22. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rep. Mike Thompson weighs in (with legislation) on why responsible gun owners and other 2nd Amendment supporters should favor expanded background checks, expecting the NRA to have its cow (then shoot it) any minute now :)

http://www.politico.com/magazine/st...rt-background-checks-115953.html#.VQBgU7PF_r-

dapip repped this.
  23. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/2015/04/05/nra-nashville-things-to-know/25291131/

6. Security
    A multilevel security plan went into works not long after Nashville was chosen as the convention destination. All guns on the convention floor will be nonoperational, with the firing pins removed, and any guns purchased during the NRA convention will have to be picked up at a Federal Firearms License dealer, near where the purchaser lives, and will require a legal identification.

But, what if there is a bad guy with an operational gun?

24. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
  25. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia