NSR: A gun on Every Corner: Discuss the NRA, Gun Ownership and All Those Non-Mass Shootings..

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by dapip, Feb 20, 2015.

Tags:
?

Do we need more strict gun laws?

1. Repeal the second baby!

54 vote(s)
    51.4%
  2. We need better mental healthcare..

38 vote(s)
    36.2%
  3. A discussion on the topic would be interesting..

29 vote(s)
    27.6%
  4. That's Liberul talk for them to take may gunz!

7 vote(s)
    6.7%
  5. You can pry my gun from my cold dead hands..

15 vote(s)
    14.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some bitch went postal at a Rite Aid distribution center outside Baltimore and killed three people plus herself. Wounded a few others.
    I’m sure having to explain the origin of her first name has been cooking her lizard brain for years and she finally went Snap Action.
    Mental illness, amirite?

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/1366698002

2. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Think I heard was third mass shooting in that county.

Then there's this;

The shooting occurred in another building known as the Liberty Building, Johnson said. “Everyone is just walking around moping and grieving for the people who are in Liberty.”

I see Liberty as having the right to make an honest living in a workplace without fear of getting blasted while I'm typing an email or posting on BS. But that's just me.

Funkfoot, NORML and dapip repped this.
  3. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    No, she was black,, so ter'rist..
    And if she hadn't had a gun she'da used a pressure cooker...

4. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Maryland, Wisconsin, Syracuse, Van Nuys.
    It's happening so fast, I cant keep track.
    :(:cry::sick:

5. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety -Melania Trump

Don't be a wuss, son- bullet wounds add character and draw flies

Every gun is sacred
    Every gun is great
    If a bullet's wasted,
    God gets quite irate

Everybody talk about
    Pop music

xtomx and Sport Billy repped this.
  6. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    xtomx repped this.
  7. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did he pass a mental health background check before he bought the gun?

On the positive side, at least he did not use an "assault rifle".

8. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ceezmad and sitruc repped this.
  9. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    With all due respect, they now teach that if you capture someone with a gun, zip-tie them up and put the gun under an upside down trash can. Police will shoot whomever is holding the gun.

10. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Teach whom? He was a security guard.

Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  11. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Teachers, guards, etc. Civilians who have a high chance of encountering shooters.

12. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    They can't teach anyone not to be Black. Remember, that's why he was shot, not because they actually thought he was the shooter, lol.

dapip repped this.
  13. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Um no. Unless you can show me that this cop regularly shot unarmed black men, I'm going to assume he was shot because he had a gun.

You can argue that the police officer may have had a bias that made him see the black man as more of a threat and thus use deadly force quicker. But to say he was shot BECAUSE he was black is simply dishonest.

14. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Then stay where you are. I have no reason to try to make you understand something you may have been reared deliberately not to understand

15. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    What an absolute load of crap.
    Are you actually alleging that had this man not had a gun, the cop would have still shot him?

16. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yes.

If you're this bent out of shape about maintaining the status quo, I don't know why I'd spend time addressing your posts any further. Have whatever day you can manage.

17. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Dead good guy with a gun.

Shoot first. Don't ask questions later. Envelop in union pacts. Decry implicit bias.

Auriaprottu and dapip repped this.
  18. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Which I acknowledged. But an implicit bias is far different than saying he shot him BECAUSE he was black.

19. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Are you could just admit you made an kneejerk stupid statement.

20. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    When police arrived, an officer immediately opened fire, killing Roberson, as witnesses told them to stop. “Everybody was screaming out, ‘Security!’ He was a security guard,” Harris said.

They still did their job, and saw a black man with a gun, and basically killed him,” he added.

Doing their job indeed.

dapip and Auriaprottu repped this.
  21. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Or could it have been because he was black and had a gun? A combination that seems to make cops fear for their lives...

ceezmad repped this.
  22. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See, that's the thing. If the security guard had acted with recklessness, he would have shot the guy. Instead he had a knee in his back, holding a gun on him, staying calm.

I'm not a cop, but to me, if I run up to a person with a knee in someone's back and holding a gun on him, Job One, even if you think the first guy is the bad guy even though he's got on security gear, is to prevent him from shooting the guy on the ground. Not to shoot first and ask questions later. As a layman, this cop seems like a shitty cop. It's just luck that the man on the ground didn't get shot.

Here's the thing...the police have ENORMOUS power granted to them by citizens. It is a privilege, not a right, to be a police officer. This cop ********ed up. If someone on the street like you or I or Sport Billy ********ed up like that, we'd be in jail awaiting trial. (Well, you're a POC, so you might not have made it to jail alive.)

The problem I see is that the police want it both ways. They want that enormous power, but they don't want any consequences when they ******** up.

That's normal; most interest groups only want the good and not the bad.

The problem is the extent to which we, as a society, have bought into the police narrative of consequence-free, nearly unlimited power. We don't have to go along with them!

23. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Again - do your fcking job the right way. I'm sure driving up to a bar with people yelling "he's a security guard!" and blasting the security guard without properly assessing the situation is not in the manual.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  24. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Agreed.

Here's what I think is the part of the problem.

First, kids aren't allowed to fight anymore. Not bullying, but just a good ole quick fight on the playground lets boys know when they've gotten out of order way better than a teacher saying "Don't do that". But more importantly, from a policing viewpoint, many of these officers have never been in a fight. They have never had their adrenaline spike hugely while dealing with confrontation. So, when they first really experience it and it involves a gun, it is even a high spike and they can't handle it.

Second, some officers have a implicit bias that they might not even be aware of. Thus a black man doing something seems more threatening to them than a white guy doing the same thing. Thus, they feel threatened easier and thus use force quicker.

Moishe repped this.
  25. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    BTW, do we know whether the guy deceased was restraining was blackish or whiteish? Seems like that might affect any instant assessment by a biased officer...