A Catalog of MLS-Based Center Back Candidates

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Maximum Optimal, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    We've had some interesting discussions about which players and which type of players should be given consideration for center back for the Nats. This discussion has been spread out a bit over various threads, so I thought it would be a good idea to have one thread that focuses on the MLS-based candidates who might be called in for the Costa Rica match.

There have been a wide range of arguments advanced. Some have advocated for looking at MLS defensive mids. Some have advocated for matching a big defender with a quicker smaller partner. Some have argued for trying to find some speed at center back.

Here is a catalog of the contenders:

The Voice of Experience: DeMerit

The Young Guns: Ream, Gonzalez, John, Opara

The Forgotton Ones: Marshall, Borchers

The Defensive Mids: Cameron, Larentowicz

Fullbacks Past and Present: Wynne, Pearce, Williams, Anibaba, Franklin

Quicker, Smaller: Ihemelu, de la Garza

It has been mentioned that we might be relying too much on bigger, physical types to man the middle. The need for both more quickness and athleticism, as well as more skill on the ball has encouraged speculation about defensive mids and to a lesser extent fullbacks. I've included on the list two young fullbacks (Williams and Anibaba) who have not been mentioned much but who have decent size, athleticism, and on-the-ball skills. Imo, the chances of successfully converting a fullback to center back are at least as good as doing this with an MLS defensive mid.

Anyhow, my list is already quite long and I'm sure others will add players I've not thought of. The hard part is prioritizing. Which ones to give the limited opportunities that present themselves such as the upcoming friendly against Costa Rica. If you could choose four center back candidates from MLS for that match who would they be? My choices: Gonzalez, John, Ream and Cameron.

One final thought: we've focused mainly on qualities such as size, quickness, skill on the ball when discussing the candidates. But every good defense needs a player with a high soccer IQ to be its leader and organizer. Do any of the players in the US pool offer potential in that regard? Larentowicz is one who seems to be a leader. De la Garza also strikes me as a smart player. I'd be interested in comments about leadership and organizational qualities. For now, let's try to keep the discussion focused on MLS-based candidates.

2. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Anyone that has watched AJ Delagarza will tell you that he has a good soccer iq. He is a small guy but it would seem him and Gonzalez have figured out how to work off eachother's strengths.

I think for the Costa Rica match Gonzalez, John, Ream, and Demerit should be the CBs called in. I really want to see Bob try a Gonzalez-Demerit pairing because I hope that Gonzalez can be our new Gooch.

3. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    So damn forgotten that the first thing I thought when I read this one is "you are an idiot, Tyrone Marshall is from Jamaica." Apologies for thinking you're an idiot. I remember Chad Marshall now.

beamish repped this.
  4. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't even know why we're having the conversation. Bob will call them in. They'll look good for the first 2 games and everyone on BS will proclaim that " (insert poor schlep who was called in's name) is the FUTURE of the CB position.) They'll have a bad game in game 4 and all of BS will proclaim (Ream (or next victim) is a talentless MLS level defender who should never see the field for the nats again unless it's as ball boy). We'll repeat this cycle ad infinitum for the next 3 years.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  5. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I worry about Ream's athleticism. Omar is pretty quick for his size- hopefully a gooch 2.0.

6. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    If only Cameron were able to be placed in the CB spot with the Dynamo. The guy has SO much talent back there and not enough ability to get a call-up in midfield. Sad.

7. perspixx

perspixx Member

Oct 20, 2005
    Temecula, Calif.
    If he can, then we need to find a new Demerit, too. Pair him with somebody else...

8. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    I had no idea Ihemelu is American. Really? He's an interesting player.

on the persistent LB issue, is Dunivant not American? What is the issue there? He's not a freak athlete, but he's not going to hurt you either.

9. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Whitbread or Bocanegra.

10. manq360

manq360 Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was thinking the same thing about Dunivant while watching LA last night. I also remember he has played a long time with LD, which might be of some help. He is obviously not considered by the BS board to be good enough, as he has never been mentioned. He seems to be good at going forward.

11. Maitreya

Maitreya Member+

Apr 30, 2007
    Providence, RI
    Dunivant couldn't defend at the international level, but he's technical enough to pass well and get forward a bit.

I've always been very high on Ihemelu's physical gifts. He has pretty good size and excellent speed, but he's been too inconsistent because of both mental lapses and injuries. Obviously he plays a lot with John, so it wouldn't be impossible to envision playing them together sometime, although I doubt FC Dallas would be thrilled about that happening in the Costa Rica friendly. At the very least, for those who are high on John (as I am), Ihemelu may indicate that John plays best next to someone with speed.

12. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Todd Dunivant is 30 years old. A number of these career MLS players bandied in this thread are really too old to be considered. At least as prime candidates.

George John is currently ranked #2 among all players on the updated Castrol Index with Omar Gonzalez coming in at #5.

Nat Borchers is at the third spot but is 30 years old.

MLS players who have gone on to contribute to National Team at the Mundial have almost all to a man won league wide awards: Agoos, Pope, Bocanegra, Conrad, Bornstein--Defender of the Year, Rookie of the Year, MLS Best XI.

Big exception being Hedjuk a wingback-type who spent a bit of early years with the Olympic team and then moved to Europe for a while.

Chad Marshall fits this profile with his multi-year awards haul and is only 26.

Jay DeMerit is 31 but given his experience and lack of major injuries probably has something to contribute over the next year or so.

Sean Franklin(26) won Rookie of the Year as a centerback.

Geoff Cameron whose being played out of position as an attacking mid of course won MLS Best XI as a centerback.

Prime choices: Gonzalez, John, Marshall
    Might still have it: Jay DeMerit
    Guys whose careers are being wasted at other pos: Franklin, Cameron
    Personal pick: Chris Schuler

13. rossgreen

rossgreen Member

Jul 16, 2006
    Austin
    George John is being recruited by the Greek national team, and being a FCD fan, I'd like to see him for the Nats. I think he has enough athleticism and IQ to pair with a number of different CBs.

14. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Franklin has never played CB for the Galaxy and he won rookie of the year because he was playing great at RWB. Franklin is not a CB at all. He is quick and can cross. He has even played RM, but not CB.

15. cd715

cd715 Red Card

Aug 22, 2009

Dunivant is really the perfect example of a really solid/good MLS player whose talents don't really translate well to the international game.

16. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    from his bio on the Galaxy's website.

I watched the games. He played as a center back in a 4 man backline. Arena upon his hiring shifted Franklin to right back.

17. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I've seen of Franklin, his crossing ability is somewhere in the range of "slightly better than Khano Smith".

18. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would they mind? Because they have a friendly scheduled on September 3? Because otherwise, FC Dallas has no games between August 27 and September 10. MLS is largely respecting this FIFA date, so I don't know why teams wouldn't want their players called up.

19. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    There is only one Khano Smith.

20. swedust

swedust Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    I don't follow the Dynamo closely but Cameron is an exciting player to watch every time I've seen him -- would be great to see how he might fair.

And even though he was so over-hyped after the U20 tournament and then kind of flamed out as an RB, I am not ready to write of Wynne at CB. It's a position that takes a long time to learn the subtleties of and (though again, I don't follow the Rapids (or is it RSL?) either) I feel like he's shown a continual upward trend.

Ah, let's face it: we're all ready for some different faces so we can get the Gold Cup final out of our memory. Or maybe that's just me....

21. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    That is so weird. I know that was 4 years ago but I'd think I remember him playing CB. Hmm weird.

Either way, I wanted to say I think Bruce Arena rates AJ delagarza higher than Franklin. This may mean nothing but a couple of weeks ago against San Jose, Bruce decided to start Berhalter and Gonzalez together so he pushed AJ to RB and sat Franklin.

22. cd715

cd715 Red Card

Aug 22, 2009
    And there is only one David Allen Bawden...

David Allen Bawden (born 1959), is an American citizen who was elected "Pope Michael I" by a group of six Conclavist or post-Sedevacantist Catholics, arguing that the elections of the last 6 popes were invalid because they are all modernists.

Sedevacantists argue that if the College of Cardinals will not or cannot elect a valid pope, ordinary Catholics can do so, under the principle of "Epikeia" (Equity). Acting on the basis of this, David Bawden was elected Pope by six people on 1990 (including himself and his parents). He is still on the job to this day.

23. clashcityrocker

Mar 12, 1999
    In the shadow of RFK
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    And the winner for most random OT post of the day goes to...

24. iceberg602

iceberg602 Member

Jul 23, 2010
    Well...this makes as much since as the "normal" election process IMO. Pretty random but interesting indeed.

25. chalaron

chalaron Member+

Aug 15, 2006
    Baton Rouge, Louisia
    your "new" version of a 31 year old player is a 32 year old player? Interesting. :D