A Boycott of US Soccer Is Badly Needed after Today's Latest Embarrassment

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Master O, Nov 15, 2018.

1. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not the American Outlaws job. Quite frankly I'm not even sure how much of an impact a boycott by them would have. AO is just an organization of people with a common rooting interest in US Soccer. For the most part, the majority of US Soccer Fans aren't hardcore or AO members, and attend games more for the fraternity/sorority party & College Football'esque tailgating atmosphere then the actual games and their results. It's just a good day/night out with friends & family.

This is by no means a knock on them either. AO is not (thankfully) even a smidge like Euro Ultras groups or the Bara Brava groups of South America.

2. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since June I've
    I'm a dues paying member of AO, and have gone with the org all over the country/world - so hear me out.

Sure there are bad supporters groups out there, absolutely, but at the same time I can't even imagine this happening in a historic soccer country like Italy (Italian-American here). The pressure from the media on the FIGC was unreal following Ventura's disgraceful exit post the Sweden playoff. In the US, soon there after, we hired Bruce Arena as an analyst for TV work, Ventura got hired like a month ago to manage Chievo, he lasted 4 games before he was axed again, and Chievo was torched online and in the media for hiring him and expecting any other result than what Italy received last year.

It's actually nice to see our media coming out with articles post-England saying how badly we need a coach, but this should have been done after the France friendly in June. We're going to hire a coach next month, maybe this month, and the USSF is going to survive because our player pool is getting substantially better. HOWEVA, That doesn't make it ok to conduct a crap coaching search and wait a year (!!!!) to hire a coach (GB) which we probably could have had in Nov 2017.

I appreciated what AO had to say about their concerns about rising ticket prices this Fall, after many fans payed like $80 for SS tickets against Brazil in a 40% full stadium. But keep in mind, they represent probably the most passionate American fans who pay $$$ to belong to an org who is committed to supporting the MNT, WNT, and YNT's. I want them to take the approach they took following Trinidad, keep supporting the players but publicly call out the Fed because we don't have a coach - if you don't remember - here's a quote below. The players look lost on the field, enough is enough.

"Bruce Arena was brought in with the singular mission of getting us to the World Cup. He has failed and should step down as well. The buck stops with them and we call on them to accept the responsibility of this outcome. As for the players we thank them and will always be behind them in the stands. We ask that the next time the players step on the field for their country they individually and collectively play with a renewed sense of urgency as we reinvigorate the fan base and begin to build towards qualification for the 2022 World Cup."

https://www.theamericanoutlaws.com/...ao-following-world-cup-qualifying-elimination

superdave and TOAzer repped this.
  3. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So what happened on Thursday that was embarrassing?

4. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
  5. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    It’s highly debatable at best that the USMNT receives incremental financial benefit from their SUM partnership as opposed to having a non-MLS marketing partner.

It’s patently obvious to me that it’s very lucrative for MLS however.