PBP: 9th fixture: Chelsea FC v. West Ham United

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Brock Hannsen, Oct 22, 2015.

1. hudson hooligan

hudson hooligan Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 6, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One foot forward, two steps back.

Where the hell do we go from here...

2. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Where are the optimists now? It was obvious we'd lose.....there's nothing to indicate we were going to all of a sudden start scoring.

3. ComeOnChelsea

ComeOnChelsea Member

Jan 18, 2007
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Will we ever even consider a change in formation?

4. Dtrip77

Dtrip77 Member+

Jun 10, 2009
    N NJ!!!
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hazard has been useless. He doesnt deserve a start in my book.

Carrol used Azpi's shoulders to get above him.

And we will not be given the benefit of the doubt for any ruling for the entirety of this season. Jose needs to figure this shit out or im afraid tptb will take it into their own hands.

5. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Mourinho...surely he is gone after this?

6. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    That's the thing, Chelsea will never get the border line calls. Too much animosity in the game towards the team. Announcers love it when the team lose, media loves it, and if you don't think that has a psychological effect then it's short sighted. The team has had to battle through decisions all last year and it's all catching up when the team can't fight through it anymore. Don't get me wrong, the team has been awful, but there is not spirit that I can see to push back. Jose is just a whining now, even when he does have a good point that's how it's looked at.

7. RamboTambo

RamboTambo Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I thought it was a pretty good performance - we were chasing for the 2nd goal to lead and West Ham for much of the 2nd half didn't look too threatening.

Willian's a phenom and Hazard is showing glimpses of his brilliance. Hopefully things take a turn for the better come November-January period where we traditionally slump.

addicted2chelsea and WorldsEnd repped this.
  8. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Hazard man. Never seen whatever it is that has happened to him. Does he really want out? He certainly doesn't seem to be enjoying himself. Or motivated at all.

9. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I get your point but it's always hard to take a game where we played so much of t with 10 men and relate it to the season. Granted the the team didn't even look good until they were already down.

10. WorldsEnd

WorldsEnd Red Card

Aug 29, 2015
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    1. We defended poorly to concede the first goal.
    2. We played quite well.
    3. Down to ten men we still played well.
    4. West Spam were lucky to win.
    5. We deserved a point from this game.
    6. Hazard will get better - not worried about him.
    7. Willian is a great player - I have always thought so - many around here have doubted him.
    8. We will get back to winning soon.
    9. The way we are playing filled me with confidence.
    10. Jose is still a good manager.

Keep the Faith :)

11. WorldsEnd

WorldsEnd Red Card

Aug 29, 2015
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Yoo hoo! Here we are :D

Welcome to the world of following an English football team :)

12. hudson hooligan

hudson hooligan Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 6, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely not. I don't care how poorly we do this season. We just won the damn title last year and these performances are as much on the players as Jose himself. If he gets scapegoated and sacked I will rage like a ********ing lunatic.

Wrath repped this.
  13. RamboTambo

RamboTambo Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Yep - pretty much how I saw the game!

14. hudson hooligan

hudson hooligan Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 6, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm still here.

Can't really say it was "obvious" we would lose, it's not like anyone could have foreseen Matic's red card, which was no doubt the game changer today. 11v11 for 90 mins and I think we would have won.

As one of his previous doubters from last year, I willingly admit I am eating Willian crow. Though to be fair, this Willian > last year's Willian by a lot.

15. schafer

schafer Member+

Mar 12, 2004
    Does he seem a bit sluggish, maybe? Doesn't really appear to be separating himself from defenders with the same ease he did at times last year. Maybe he just looks slow in comparison to Willian, though.

Some serious problems with this team right now obviously. You can't start a game with essentially 2 non-factors going forward at both fullback positions and expect to manufacture much. West Ham didn't even pretend to be bothered by the potential of Zouma overlapping.

16. ArmanSLR

ArmanSLR Member+

Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    This has been the first performance where we lost, and I am not upset at the team or the manager or the club.

We played away to a West Ham team that beat Arsenal, Man City, both away and Liverpool.

Matic 2nd yellow was a stupid foul, I would say some refs would not give it to him but warn him 1 more and he is off but he gave the ref the chance to send him off, so no complaints.

Willian was world class. His workrate and pressure on the ball went up after we were down to 10 men and truly led by example, he went deep looking for the ball trying to create while unfortunately Eden was hiding on the wings.

Most of the players played very well and we deserved a draw considering the circumstances.

We can't catch a break and I wouldn't except that to change all season. Everything is going against us, we really have to be perfect to win difficult matches it seems.

Hopefully this defeat will be the catalyst to a great run. At least we lost while playing good football and working hard and showing a desire to fight back and win.

WorldsEnd, Crawleybus and Dtrip77 repped this.
  17. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Yea, this loss is definitely different than the others. And I do think we need to play baba. For no other reason that maybe his defensive trade off is more than made up for giving the other team something to deal with and someone to combine with hazard. With the obvious benefit that azpi can stay on the field and actually use his right foot whilst running.

18. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    The most frustrating thing is the team CANNOT catch a break. Not doing themselves any favors, but decisions and lose balls and deflections. Everything is breaking to the other team. Both goals today came from defensive clearances that were not great but fell right to the other team who took advantage. Azpi got isolated on Carroll and it didn't help that he climbed him but that was always going to be a losing battle.

19. ArmanSLR

ArmanSLR Member+

Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I don't think BABA at LB and Azpi at RB would have done much for us today tbh. Our attacking players outside of Willian need to wake up and score goals and most importantly keep possession. Our attack has been dire as of late especially with no Oscar involved at all. Other teams constantly are attacking us and putting constant pressure on the back four. I also think while Begovic has been great, if we had Courtois in the net these passed two months we probably we would got 1-2 results our away just with the stability he provides.

20. ArmanSLR

ArmanSLR Member+

Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I know. It's so annoying. Every other team catches every break against us and we cannot catch any. In every match you will find legitimate cases.

Cesc's offside was marginal and usually benefit of the doubt given to the attacker.
    Our goal that was ruled not to have crossed the line was the closest I've ever seen since the goal line technology was introduced.

WorldsEnd, Wrath and Ninjatend0 repped this.
  21. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    As schafer said though, with literally NO threat coming from the fullbacks, that allows the opponent to concentrate on space, overlaps, or marking. Whatever they want to do really.

22. ArmanSLR

ArmanSLR Member+

Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I don't see how Azpi can move forward when half the time Eden has the ball he loses it which causes a danger break.

23. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Yea. Fab was on if you are going by attacking benefit rules. And that non goal? Seriously? At first I thought he handled it too. Don't think he did though.

24. ArmanSLR

ArmanSLR Member+

Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    A draw would have been better but like I said, sometimes a defeat where you play good and feel undone is a catalyst to a great run and that is what we need.

25. Bruckner283

Bruckner283 Member+

Apr 25, 2006
    Lake Of The Coheeries
    There is one thing I hope Jose comes away with from this game. We were much better in the 2nd half even a man down when Mikel came on for Cesc. When Mikel does a better job at driving us forward than Cesc you have to YOU MUST recognize how shit a player he is.