9/18/2007 Group B Sweden v DPRK [R]

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by nsa, Sep 18, 2007.

1. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sweden is in a battle to make the next round.

2. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Heja Sverige!

3. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Sweden goal

4. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    How bad is the travel for PRK to China? I thought ESPN was talking about Sweden at first.

5. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    We have an equalizer.

6. drahnier

drahnier Member

Aug 18, 2007
    Sweden
    Shit, this game could have been a sensation, Sweden were doing great.

Fighting for every ball and winning them, scoring an early goal, then they concede on a long shot on a counter after a quickly taken freekick.

7. episkeptis

episkeptis New Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Manchester
    Great long shot and 1-1.

8. drahnier

drahnier Member

Aug 18, 2007
    Sweden
    The North Koreans are diving so much it's like watching Italys mens national team.

9. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    It's hard to like this North Korean team even from a neutral standpoint.

10. trance-x

trance-x Member

Jun 22, 2005
    Berlin
    do both teams play comparable, or is there a dominating one?

11. drahnier

drahnier Member

Aug 18, 2007
    Sweden
    Sweden were doing better at first, then North Korea took over after the goal.

It's all about attitude.

12. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Goal Sweden

13. drahnier

drahnier Member

Aug 18, 2007
    Sweden
    That was a great goal.

Great pass and for once Schelin shows how good she can be.

Shit Sweden misses an open goal.
    Wtf.

14. trance-x

trance-x Member

Jun 22, 2005
    Berlin
    so sweden still need one or two goals?

i will see the game later (because Eurosport broadcast it after the other game usa/nigeria) ...

15. Andy Zilis

Andy Zilis Member+

Mar 9, 2005
    Rochelle, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    pretty sure they still need 2 more.

16. drahnier

drahnier Member

Aug 18, 2007
    Sweden
    Sweden keeps getting close to 3-1 but they screw up the finishing and crosses.

NK doesn't impress.

17. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I'm sorry you have to watch the US game.

18. trance-x

trance-x Member

Jun 22, 2005
    Berlin
    oh, its ok, i am interested in seeing both games ...
    the order is not so important ...
    it was only an explanation why i dont know what happens between sweden and north korea ...

19. drahnier

drahnier Member

Aug 18, 2007
    Sweden
    Well Sweden took a pretty good shot at this.
    It was close.

The finishing and decisive passes and first touches in the penalty area sucked though.

20. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    US wins the group and PRK advances

21. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    Not all was lost for Sweden today, the win kept their Olympic hopes alive (now Denmark has to get a draw against Brazil). They really lost this cup on Matchday 1.

And if the Swedes ever make a calendar like Australia did in 2000, please let us know. Holy Moly...

22. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    If Sweden could play a full 90 minutes like they did for the first 20 minutes of each half of this game, they could give any team in the world a real fight. Unfortunately... they didn't.

So I've heard differing opinions about the Olympics: if Brazil beats Denmark, then Sweden should go to the Olympics automatically, right, with a 1-1-1 record, while Denmark would be 1-2-0?

23. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to Wikipedia, the top three European teams at the WWC advance (not counting England), so that sounds right. Germany is in, Norway is in unless they lose to Ghana (not likely), so that leaves Sweden or Denmark.

24. reverb

reverb New Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Sweden played well, not superbly, but very well, and it was an exciting match. They were more fun to watch than NK, so it's too bad they will not continue.

Schelin was fantastic. Westberg seemed an improvement in the back line, and she should have started all the matches. I recall Svensson being faster in other games and tournaments, not sure if she is injured?

NK appeared very fast, but I also thought they very artfully (I don't mean that in a positive way) pushed and body tackled and also took many dives. They are smaller, so sheer physics (against Nilla Fischer, for example) is going to mean that they are on the ground more often from perfectly clean collisions or legit defensive tackles. The ref was also excessive with her yellow cards.

25. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Why Westberg didn't start the other games is a complete mystery to me, and the one obvious bad coaching decision I would pin on Coach Dennerby (who is a good coach with not a lot of extra talent to work with, unfortunately). Svensson ran hard, but perhaps has slowed down since last WWC (she still gets points for sheer determination and willingness to fight for everything). And Schelin? Yes, a great game. Why didn't she do that earlier in the tournament? They played so beautifully aggressively at first, knocking Koreans about, getting to every ball, taking chances, just lovely. I really thought they might pull it off.

Sigh. I know, it's all whinging at this point. But Sweden fans should be allowed to whine a little right now, just for a couple more hours or so until the pain lessens...