8 year old Mani Eftekhari at Dinamo Zagreb

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by genom, Dec 19, 2012.

1. genom

genom Member

May 27, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    The article also sagely notes that the 8-year-old is a "budding talent."

soccersubjectively repped this.
  3. UcIceD2011

UcIceD2011 Member+

Jul 10, 2011
    Nor Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also said that the directors told the dad his son has a chance to become world class and the dad convinced the mom of said plan.

4. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Wow what a shot below the belt. Is this true for a 8 yr old. If he has the commitment to send his 8 yr old to Dinamo wouldn't he also be able to find an top training environment in the US with a top team too? Barcelona USA, Fullerton Rangers, Manhattan FC all top notch pee wee training.

“If I left him here in the States, it would be a disservice,” he said. “It comes down to what [European Academies] do in development.”

5. rizvo7

rizvo7 Member

Oct 2, 2012
  6. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    This Internet thing is going to take off one of these days. Look what I found on it.

7. Ironkick14

Ironkick14 Member+

Sep 29, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, he has a chance to be world class...:rolleyes:

8. UcIceD2011

UcIceD2011 Member+

Jul 10, 2011
    Nor Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The famed rug!!!!!!

9. CajunChicken

CajunChicken New Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Think it's great. The more kids we get training in Europe the better we will be in a few years. Sort of reminds me of when the Koreans took to getting trained by Dutch coaches, really helped them move up.

10. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Well, they are from Persia!

Of course, considering that the family's predilection toward medicine, they should double the kid's load and let him do some brain surgeries at the same time. You just never know what his backup plan might entail.

Signed, Adam "Cheesy" Meltz.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  11. Cleats Up

Cleats Up Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Saint Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, it will be great for the kid, except his whole family is moving to Croatia, so by the time he is "World Class" he may be a Croatian citizen playing for Croatia.

12. rizvo7

rizvo7 Member

Oct 2, 2012
    He come to Zagreb and will play with 2004.

13. rhrh

rhrh Member

Mar 5, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Question - we are trying to get our 16 year old to train in Europe, but he only has US citizenship. We are taking him to a private company trial (they would then send leads to pro clubs), and are trying to line up a club trial as well. Would we need a visa, or since it is a trial with no guaranteed outcome, can we just travel as tourists and get a visa for him if everything works out?

It seems like all of these "wunderkind" stories are very simple, parents line it up and do it. But I hear stories about having to get a visa etc.

14. rizvo7

rizvo7 Member

Oct 2, 2012
  15. jay kovic

jay kovic New Member

Jan 25, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    My son and I were at the camp and nothing could be further from the truth, Firstly, the Dinamo coaches were fluent in English and were very professional . They explained to all the players and parents that they do not even look at kids before they reach 14 years of age . Mani did partcipate with 11- 12 year olds but they treated him more like a little brother than they would competition . Have you seen a 12 year old lately ? They must have been 6-8 inches taller and 30-40 pounds heavier. There isnt a chance a kid his size could play with those boys. It makes a for a nice story but not a realistic one and Im suprised this article would be endorsed by Dinamo . They surely dont need the publicity as their Academy as recognized as top 3 in Europe. Sounds like a gimmick to me.

16. PortBob

PortBob New Member

Aug 2, 2012
    You're hating on him because your boy didn't make it. I'm happy to see an American take initiative and if more kids get exposure around the world then it's bound to show benefits here. Only gimmick is your spin. It said his trial coaches in Croatia didn't speak English, not at the camp in the States. Here's the Dinamo Zagreb USA site confirming the story:

"Q: What age was the youngest player at a camp or at invited for formal trial in Zagreb?
    A: A 7-year old was assessed during the morning of day 2 of a week long camp and he was allowed to participate all week because of his level of focus, his talent and his competitive attitude. By the end of the camp week, he was voted the “Best Player of the Camp” by Dinamo staff and offered a formal trial in Zagreb."

here's the link: dinamozagrebacademyusa.com/faq/

He's got talent...good luck to them!

Tom Collingsworth, jond and Zak1FCK repped this.
  17. rizvo7

rizvo7 Member

Oct 2, 2012
    He is in Feynoord on trial this days.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  18. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Rotterdam - Zagreb of the North Sea.

19. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Tom Collingsworth and Testudo repped this.
  20. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Any word from the past 12 months?

21. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    He was recently in the DA with Ballistic United, but I'm not sure he's still there.

22. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oakland residence? Seems a bit of a drive to go to Ballistic and pay through the nose for the privilege. It's changed alot since I was a kid, but the prices have always been sky-high, and I can't imagine the coaching's gotten any better.