Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Bradman, Apr 3, 2011.

1. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I truly can't say that I want an indefinite future of the REVs being the Pittsburgh Pirates of MLS or the Washington Generals to the Globetrotters. I really want my local team to be interesting to watch (competent interesting). Plus a dead REVs team is probably better for MLS and, eventually, the USMNT.

This forum will go on though. In fact, it will probably be more lively. The total impossibility of a team will generate threads like the SSS threads that go on and on about the next fictitious owner and stadium location.

2. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Exactly.
    I assume you mean the recent-era Pirates (since the Pirates have had great teams and won multiple world series).

You seem to imply that there's no hope of the Revs being competitive, but the fact that they've made it to 4 MLS Cups contradicts that.

It may seem inconceivable now, but that's fairly typical when a team is at a low point.
    Oh, I'd love to hear the explanation for this one.
    That's something to look forward to. :rolleyes:

3. SeñorFutbol

SeñorFutbol Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Die? Possibly, but I would think it would be a heck of a lot easier to actually put a competitive team together.

MLS is not that great and most teams get a 2-3 very solid field players, a solid GK and they are quite competitive team in the current MLS.

With salaries low at this stage in the game it's feasible. Down the road when salaries could be much higher then we'd have a serious problem of becoming an afterthought.

4. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    20 years without a winning season, so if that's "recent era" then OK yeah. Those World Series wins and great teams are ancient history. That team is stuck in stagnation because ownership has figured out what the Clippers did 30 years ago, people will pay to come see major league pro sports to see other teams' stars- so you sit back, spend nothing, and take in the collectively shared money.

The team that made it to those cups is is deader than Joe Piscopo's career. The core was allowed to rot, nothing was really done to build a winner, important players weren't replaced with anyone in the same zip code of their quality, and the same small-budget/minor-league mentality of the management has continued unabated. Slowly but surely we have been left behind in MLS school with only the Mexican exchange student in the back of the class for company (but at least he has his own house).

5. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, yes, it's rkupp and Baseball has a long history. He'll pull totally irrelevant bullshit out of nowhere. I'll compound my mistake and quote Wikipedia:
    1990s–2007: The McClatchy/Littlefield era

After the 1992 season, the front office set out to rebuild the team, giving up several high-payroll players in favor of a younger crew. The Pirates have been unable to produce a winning season since, accumulating an 18-year losing streak — the longest in any of the four major professional North American sports leagues.[13]

In case you think I'm ignoring 2007-2011 for some nefarious reason, let's include this quote:

Main article: 2011 Pittsburgh Pirates season
    On May 9, 2011 the Pirates defeated the Dodgers to bring the team's W-L% to .514, the first time over .500 in May since 2004. As of June 16th, 2011 the Pirates have a 35-33 record, their best record this late in the season since 1999.

I'm not interested in 18-21 years of the crap the REVs are serving up.

6. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm taking bets on the red phrase being served up to me as a reason to stay with the current impotent, incompetent management team.

7. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again; I'd rather have no team, than this team.

8. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ditto.

I'd rather MLS flourish without us, than struggle with us.

9. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS Rumors here we come. According to a reliable source, the NER are moving to Phoenix!;)

10. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    they should just contract the team

11. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude, you totally missed my "rising out of the ashes"/Phoenix joke.:(

12. RevsFanDan

RevsFanDan Member

May 24, 2005
    North Shore
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've had such a Love/Hate with this Org..you'd think she was a beautiful ex-girlfriend who cheated on you but gave amazing...

Anyways...

I HATED with a Passion way back in 95 that Krafty was going to own this team...First thought was..What the FLOCK does this guy know about the beautiful game??? Yea, he ran a billion dollar company..etc..etc.
    I didn't like it but I was reserved to the fact that oh well..he'll just hire the right people and the team will form its own niche..!

First year...last game...38k showed up...2/3 never came back together, except possibly the 2002 Cup final and some odd David "Beecham" games...Most of the people that I knew who were great Soccer fans said they came to a few games but left in a hurry..!!

Even the great Walter Zenga couldn't bring them in...He's a GOALIE!! And Galderisi was a dissappointment from the get go..the guy replaced Paolo Rossi on the 86 team and was invisible.

Do I want the team to die..??? NFW...But, if I were RedBull, Phil Anschutz and Dave Checketts..I'd say get out the yard sale signs and call wicked local. Those fools in New England are DESTROYING our Brand. MLS is a joke of monumental proportions in the Boston area. Yea..we've got all these "other" champions of Sport in Boston..Blah Blah Blah. But, we also have a plethora of fans of Soccer that they've NEVER seemed to have even the slightest way to get at them...I don't believe they ever tried.

Look at the debacle that Team Ops created on Sat night. The only reason that turned so bad was not the swearing and/or some soccer moms complaining about Suzy's innocence..but rather the condescending view that many in OPS have for the Supporters of Soccer!!!

When are people going to wake up and understand this...??? It's that simple. And then when you get a BUFFOON like Kraft and his infinite Apathy/Indifference Let's keep that Tax break going, ownership..you get what occurred on Sat. Night...

It's going take more than me yapping about it, day and night...It's going to take more than all of us sitting quietly with Black Shirts to get this Owner to wake up and pay ATTENTION to this team...

But honestly, if one Phil Anschutz, finally fed up was to say something..Then you'd see something get done or better still, Kraft Be Gone!!! :D

13. frankieg73

frankieg73 Member

New England Revolution
    Portugal
    Apr 8, 2001
    St. Petersburg, FL (not my choice)
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    How come nobody has mentioned the good crowd we had Saturday night? 14,246 is pretty good.

14. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And surprising. Obviously it wasn't going to be as bad as Wed, but I was pleasantly surprised by the crowd.

15. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because it doesn't support the notion that the Krafts' are evil, and that because they don't market the way we want them to nothing good can possibly happen to this franchise.:rolleyes:

16. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gotta love the sarcasm.

Going into the weekend, the only team with a worse attendance figure than us was a team playing in a high school stadium. So while 14k is good (for us) I don't think one good crowd is worth jumping up and down celebrating either.

17. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree with your point, and in re-reading, my post came off as waaaay more snarky than I'd intended.

However, my main point stands, had the attendance been 7,000, there would have been dozens of posts that this proved that the Rev's were no longer viable. While 14K is not exactly thriving, it's not exactly putting Krafty out of business.

18. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Is 14,000 even above the league-wide average? It was a decent crowd, and a major upgrade over Wednesday, but it was "youth soccer night." It was a lot of young families, children, etc. who won't be back again this year unless they get more free tickets. The Fort was really quiet, there wasn't a whole lot of atmosphere, and to top it all off, there was an issue with security. Is that better?:rolleyes:

19. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    League average going into this last week of play was 17,350. The Revs 6k and 14k won't be helping.

Attendance around the league this past weekend:
    Revs (Wed) 6,680
    SKC (Fri) 18,467
    TFC (Sat) 21,839
    Revs (Sat) 14,246
    Hou (Sat) 13,039
    Col (Sat) 18,277
    RSL (Sat) 16,841
    Van (Sat) 20,168
    Chv (Sat) 11,253
    Por (Sun) 18,627

20. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    My point exactly. Out of the nine games played this past weekend ours came in seventh. Is 14k better than 7k? Of course. But you have to remember that better is a relative word.

21. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    This team is only better than the low expectations it sets for itself.

22. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    We were a lot further behind the competition before getting to those MLS Cup finals than we are now.
    Reality check: we were in 3 consecutive (and 4 out of 6) league finals less than 4 years ago.
    Yes. And it also doesn't contradict the evidence that weather and season play a major role in the numbers.
    Exactly the type of negativism that goes on in this group. When there's a decent showing, there are all kinds of reasons why it's not legitimate, when there's a predictably crappy showing because of a likely once-in-a-lifetime event, it's no excuse for the low numbers.

23. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Never mind that 3 of the worst 5 crowds in MLS belong to the Revs this year. Let's just ignore that ...

24. rscaramelo

rscaramelo Coach/Hack Defender

May 5, 1999
    MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're 17th in the latest power rankings!

25. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually we weren't. We were not a very good team on the field, but in terms of attendance and buzz, we were way ahead. Out of the 10 teams, the only ones who generally had higher attendance were NY and LA, the two largest cities, and DC, the most successful team on the field. Now we wish we could be like the Wizards and the other teams we used to make fun of.

Reality check: What have we done since then?

So what about the game days that had good weather and did not have another team playing for their first championship in 39 years or the Sox not playing the yankees with first place on the line? Excuses work both ways, y'know.

But what about when there is a crappy attendance number? Must be because "this is not a good soccer market," right? Because it certainly isn't the responsibility of the organization to make even the slightest effort to entice people to buy their product. You remind me of the Mad TV skit where Bobby Lee would stand outside a nightclub next to his Daewoo and whenever he'd get rejected by various hotties, he'd just yell "Pass!"