7/1 - U19 WWC Final - Canada vs USA [R]

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by BrandiC63, Sep 1, 2002.

1. Pirrip

Pirrip New Member

Jan 11, 2002
    Saskatchewan
    You are because it is not true. Got a bit of a complex do we?

2. TopDogg

TopDogg Member

Jan 31, 2000
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I think you are the only person who noticed that...

The only team that was booed and harassed was the Brazilians in the third place game. After acting like a bunch of thugs and hooligans in the semis, the Brazilians virtually played an "away" game in the third place match against Germany, with the crowd in Edmonton firmly behind the Germans.

As for your "observation", while the fans cheered wildly for Canada (as the should have), they showed nothing but respect for the Americans.

3. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    quote from m9fanatic:

"Oakes, Tarply, O'Reilly. I never saw them play before and seeing thier names on the callup list to the Full squad in the past, i can see what April is so excited about."

i like (and maybe april does too):
    o'reilly's speeeeeed. haven't seen anyone on the senior team run the ball down like she does. maybe she just looks fast because her fellow u19s are slow. but i doubt it.

oakes' steadiness at the back. plus, her goal in the semifinal was a blast!!

dowling's jumping ability. haven't seen anyone on the senior team get as high as she did on the one she missed, and she won just about all the air duels with sinclair or whoever challenged her. tall, with hops!!

4. patrickdavila

patrickdavila Member

Jan 13, 1999
    Easton, PA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not talking about the final so much as the games leading up to it. The local crowds were booing the Americans. I didn't take any Peyote or drink a bottle of vodka! You could clearly hear it during the telecasts. I'm not the one with a complex, the jealous fans heckling 18 year old girls were the ones with the complex! I couldn't give a rats a$$ what any Canadian team does in any competition. At least you have hockey to look forward to! ;)

5. Pirrip

Pirrip New Member

Jan 11, 2002
    Saskatchewan
    I'll just let Kelly Wilson respond, then:

"Our games in Victoria were awesome. I love to play at a stadium under the lights and everyone in Victoria was just so nice and kind to us."

6. BrandiC63

BrandiC63 New Member

Apr 8, 2000
    Piscataway, NJ
    oooooh no...heather is so freakin fast, noone in high school, maybe not even college could keep up with that speed...shes freakin amazing with that.

7. ringster

ringster New Member

Jun 5, 2001
    Quebec, Canada
  8. SoccerUSA1

SoccerUSA1 New Member

Jul 25, 2002
    Bradenton, Florida

i agree. and i couldnt be happier that it was won on a golden goal because the canadiens came so close and then lost it.

9. lasoccervegas2002

Jul 7, 2002
    this planet
    LindsayTarpley is the true American idol.

10. soccerules50

soccerules50 New Member

Jul 23, 2001
    The U.S was outplayed by Canada, and should have been beaten by the superior team on the day. Luck however, was on the americans side.
    Congratulations to both teams on strong efforts throughout the tournament.

11. Pirrip

Pirrip New Member

Jan 11, 2002
    Saskatchewan
    The US was outchanced by Canada but the play was very even. I wouldn't say either side was superior to the other. Unfortunatly, some of the others here seem to need a "movie of the week" plot line. Sad really.

12. lasoccervegas2002

Jul 7, 2002
    this planet
    Canada was outplayed by US, but there were few very good chances they had.

13. Awe-Inspiring

Awe-Inspiring New Member

Jan 18, 2000
    Is this the first time that a women's soccer game has drawn over 45,000 outside the USA and China? Does anyone know?

If so, then the crowd is the real story of this game - and for U-19 tournament at that.

WUSA promoters, take notice. The Canadians are doing something right. Maybe the WUSA can learn a thing or two.

14. lasoccervegas2002

Jul 7, 2002
    this planet

15. MarkKness

MarkKness New Member

Sep 14, 2002
    Attendance Records

I think this is true, the U-19 final was the tenth largest crowd ever to watch a women's soccer game. This link shows the records as of 11 July 1999, and I don't know of anything that beat these since then (could be wrong), until this game placed 10th at 47,784.

http://www.soccertimes.com/worldcup/1999/jul11.htm

16. Awe-Inspiring

Awe-Inspiring New Member

Jan 18, 2000
    Re: Attendance Records

I am pretty sure you are correct. I think that the biggest crowd for a USWNT game in the aftermath of WWC '99 was 35,000 or so for one of the Brazil games. If someone knows better, please tell.

17. BrandiC63

BrandiC63 New Member

Apr 8, 2000
    Piscataway, NJ
    So who was it that said the U19'ers wouldnt get a call-up??

So thanks to Ape, i duno if this is good or bad, Heather wont be at the game when her HS team plays me. Oh well, maybe the second time, Oct 17th.

18. BB99

BB99 New Member

Jul 13, 2002
    Boo Birds

Canada and the USA are the best neighbors in the world.... and it looks like they are fierce competitors in women's soccer. I wouldn't get all hung up on a few boo's. I recall hearing how American's boo'd the Canadian National Anthem at a hockey game...now that was rude. At least you spelled Canadian correctly, not like that other Amoricon.

19. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Re: Re: Attendance Records

It was when the NIKE Cup had a stop in Louisville, Kentucky...

10/10/99: 35,211

20. Jo

Jo New Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Kansas
    Re: Re: Re: Attendance Records

No, the game in Kansas City right before that one had a larger attendance. I know; I was there. My first--and only--time. It was on Oct. 7, 1999. The game was not televised and I believe the opponent was Finland. We won something like 6-0.

I remember when they announced the attendance at Louisville I said, "Aha, we beat that in Kansas City."

21. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Attendance Records

You are correct!!! Thanks for the correction!

10/7/99 against Finland 36,405.

I started glancing at stats involving the Brasil squad only.

Off topic...is there really a mens NT match scheduled for the BOB later this fall/winter?

22. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    The Auslympics.

9/17/00: US v China 58,061
    Note that this was a DH with a mens Oly match as well. And I can't remember if the womens match was before or after the mens match.

23. Awe-Inspiring

Awe-Inspiring New Member

Jan 18, 2000
    I thought I remembered a significant crowd in '99 after the WWC; thanks for reminding me there were two (you, too, Jo ;)).

Fear, you have to put an asterisk by the above crowd - unless there is some way to verify that 58,000 actually showed up in time for the USA v. China match.

Glad my memory isn't totally shot.