6/29 vs. Chicago Fire in US Open Cup (R)

Discussion in 'Charleston Battery' started by Mister Obvious, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Brook

Brook BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 13, 2001
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, this Banana is taking the Battery seriously.
    Who's coming to CBus?! JBG? Mikey?

2. RevHammerBat

RevHammerBat Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Charleston
    I say before each MLS season starts we ask each team who REALLY is going to participate in the Open Cup and actually play to win. And then if theres more than 8 teams (lol) that are serious have a play in game, if not throw all the teams in and open their other spots to amateur teams.

Beating MLS teams was fun and bragging rights at first but now that it's become a "regular" thing for us it takes a little fun out of beating them. lol. The only MLS teams who seem to care are DC United, Seattle, and thats all I can think of. Chivas is a joke in the tournament, Houston until last year was our favorite punch toy, Dallas loved to knock us out for knocking Houston out, my Revoultion have struggled since winning it and go hot and cold in the tournament.

Maybe they should do something like if a MLS team loses to a non-MLS team in the tournament then you have to pay the team $5,000 or $10,000 or something....get them to consider how much the open cup means to everyone else and have them take it more seriously instead of talking about how seriously they take it

3. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I was at the game last night. I made a post on the Fire thread as well.
    As I said I like the Battery and come to a Battery game whenever I'm in SC coast and there's a game. Mikey can attest to that.

But here's the deal. As a Fire fan I'm not so much upset at the loss as I am that they really don't prepare seriously for the USL teams especially in the early rounds.
    There were players out there for the Fire last night that many fans have never heard of. Some are years away from serious playing time. Fire coaches in the last few years think they can put out their reserves without preparation and everything will be fine. Well the USL teams do prepare for this. Some a year ahead of time. Beating an MLS team is a big deal for USL teams and their fans.

If the Fire last night would have put out the team that will start against the next MLS team they play and ended up losing then I would not be upset. They played the game to win and lost to a better team. But that is not the case and that is not an excuse. It's the reality. They play the reserve team most of the game. Don't score. Then try to put in McBride and Conde toward the end to try to get a quick goal. Meanwhile by now the Battery is in bunker mode, waiting for time to expire to go into penalty kicks. To little too late.

Honestly, not being a hater. I always wish the Battery well. But last night other the opening minutes of the game, they didn't really do much other then make their penalty kicks. Once Conde came in for the Fire the Battery sometimes barely passed midfield for stretches at a time. The Fire were playing keep away with them.

I agree with Mikey. If the MLS teams and in this case the Fire don't take it seriously by playing their starters, then don't play in this tournament. Don't have the FO say we take it serious and then show something different on the field.

Most fans would not mind losing to a USL team or any team for that matter if their team would put out their best product. But often they take it lightly and don't. Then when it's too late they try to insert a couple of key players but by then its too late.

Guys I'm really not trying to make excuses but this is what frustrates some of us Fire fans in the Open Cup the last few years.

Good luck the rest of the way. I will be rooting for the Battery.

4. RevHammerBat

RevHammerBat Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Charleston
    Man those Chicago fans have issues....lol....not talking about MRad but majority of the other people on their boards...lol.

But I guess when you are having a shi**y season you just wanna blame everyone and everything in your path. lol

5. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have always thought, that the difference between MLS and USL, were the starters for MLS should be the better 11. As reserves go, most of the MLS players wouldn't be guaranteed starters in the USL. Usually, you have more older experienced players, who can make more money as a starter in the USL, vs. being a reserve MLS player.

6. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I'm first and foremost a soccer fan, played the game all my life and enjoy discussing the game. I try to have respect for other peoples opinions.

My comments are in no way meant to direspect the Battery or their fans.

My frustration as a Chicago Fire fan is with the Fire.
    Don't tell me you take the USOC seriously and then field a team of scrubs. Then when they don't score you try to throw in a couple of first teamers to see if you can get a quick goal. It doesn't work that way. And then the coach says to the media the SuperLiga is more important. NO it's not! This is our country's national cup. And it should be very important like it is in almost every other country.

You guys have always treated me well at Battery games at Blackbaud and have enjoyed a cold one and some good conversation with you guys.
    Lots of love here.

Just frustrated with the way my hometown team approached this game.

7. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can understand your pain, I'm an Arsenal fan also.

8. RevHammerBat

RevHammerBat Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Charleston

Like I stated before MRad...my issue wasn't with you, my thing was some of the comments from other people on the boards from other teams...and some of the fans on your board just set me off with comments that dont need to be made whether or not your team lost and to who. Its a bit ridiculous.

But I can understand the frustration and I want to make sure that you know I have nothing against anything you've said.

9. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    do you mean bunge and mister warmth? Such classy guys, just the kind of fans every team is looking for.

10. RevHammerBat

RevHammerBat Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Charleston
    Esp. them...lol. Friendly banter is one thing...but like I said some comments go beyond that.

11. RevHammerBat

RevHammerBat Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Charleston
    They got reported anyways heh

12. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wish I could make it up. I did the math and it just wouldnt work out. plus I have company coming in from out of town Monday night and staying through Wed.

I have a bad feeling they are going to want to go out for dinner on Tuesday night....

13. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MRad....you must be Catholic...all this pent up guilt. :D You got no reason to apologize for anything. You've always been honest, polite, articulate and classy. Hell, you post here more often than the majority of Battery fans. No foul, play on. (and no FIFA replay required to verify that call)

14. goindownsouth

goindownsouth Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Central, NJ
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I have said it countless times before and I will continue to say it... I am proud of our Battery for being as successful as they have been in the USOC over the past years. Sadly though, unless it is the Final - where no MLS club wants to lose to a lower division side - FEW IF ANY MLS CLUBS TAKE IT SERIOUSLY.

Some within MLS clubs and try to paint it any way they like, but there is truly no incentive for them to go all out for the USOC when making a playoff run in MLS can lead to even more.

I am not trying to pooh-pooh the whole thing. I enjoy the idea of the USOC. Ask most MLS fans about it, many will not even know it exists.

I am a Phila Union guy and, if not but for them being a ravenous lot and in their innaugural season, I am not sure many of them would know about USOC.

A shame though, regardless. It is a very cool thing.

Rant over.

15. goindownsouth

goindownsouth Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Central, NJ
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    That speaks directly to my last comments. Spot on.

16. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With a CONCACAF Champions League spot on the line, I dont know why the MLS doesnt take it more seriously. they could very easlily be playing for a spot for that with only three games.

That competition has a lot more in purse money. as it has FIFA money backing it.

17. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    BTW, saw Lazo Alavanja at the game. I don't think he's playing anywhere other then an occasional game in one of the local leagues in Chicago.
    I told him maybe it's time he thought about getting into coaching. I think he would make a good coach. Just has to get his foot in the door.
    He seemed to agree.

18. RevHammerBat

RevHammerBat Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Charleston
    All thuds talk about MLS teams not taking it seriously and 6 of the final 8 teams are from MLS lol. The upper part of the bracket carries both USL hopefuls in us and Harrisburg...lol. So MLS already has one foot in the door to the finals

19. Theonefish

Theonefish Member

Jul 28, 2008
    Greenville SC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is pretty much it. MLS coaches earn their bread by making the playoffs. The USOC and CCL aren't lucrative enough to make it where they can be a priority. Clubs will try to win them if they make it deep enough, but they'll have to get there on the backs of the scrubs.

20. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    There were some Battery fans at the game but they drove in from St. Louis. They said their son plays for the Battery, I believe.

21. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    heard there were around 20 or so, mostly friends and family. maybe a transplant or two.

Tommy Heinemann, one of our forwards, is from St. Louis so it could have been his parents.

22. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think, that's the case any more.

23. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Yes. There were folks there with "Heinemann" on the back of their shirts.

24. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really?, Im was pretty sure a CCL spots went to the MLS cup champion, USOC champion, and the Supporter shield winners.

of course MLS may have petition to change that after the Battery have them a scare in 2008

25. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States