5 portuguese players in a dangerous car accident

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by Frank Cunha, May 16, 2005.

1. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    5 portuguese soccer players including Bonsingwa FC Porto, the driver, Nelson [Boavista] in a dangerous car accident at 1 am in the morning, where taken to the hospital, by the name of the players it looks like they all got roots from the Cape Verde Islands

http://www.record.pt/noticia.asp?id=673547&idCanal=4

2. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Re: 5 portuguese players in a dangerous accident

the players where taken to San Joao Hospital, in the city of Porto, Bonsigwa, Edu e Nélson (Boavista), Jaime Miguel Linhares (Ovarense) e Sandro Luís Gonçalves Borges (Santa Clara

for the time of the accident it looks like the players had the night off, from the respectived teams

DESPISTE NA A4 CAUSA QUATRO FERIDOS LIGEIROS E UM GRAVE
    Bosingwa e mais quatro futebolistas envolvem-se em aparatoso acidente

Cinco jogadores de futebol profissional, entre os quais se encontrava José Bosingwa, do FC Porto, sofreram hoje de madrugada um acidente de automóvel na A4, junto a Valongo, que causou quatro feridos ligeiros e um grave, segundo informou à agência Lusa fonte dos bombeiros locais.

O condutor do veículo de alta cilindrada era o atleta portista, que viajava na altura com Edu e Nélson (Boavista), Jaime Miguel Linhares (Ovarense) e Sandro Luís Gonçalves Borges (Santa Clara), isto de acordo com uma fonte da Brigada de Trânsito da Maia.

Os bombeiros de Valongo acorreram ao local onde encontraram um veículo em chamas. O acidente ocorreu ao quilómetro 16 da A4 no sentido Amarante/Porto, em Susão, pelas 01.00 horas, com as autoridades a admitirem que se deveu à chuva e velocidade excessiva.

Após o despiste, o veículo galgou a vedação da auto-estrada e caiu numa ravina com cerca de oito metros, incendiando-se numa altura em que os jogadores já não se encontravam no seu interior. O ferido mais grave, o jogador do Santa Clara – com várias fracturas –, foi mesmo projectado para fora do carro ao passo que os outros "saíram pelos próprios meios" da viatura, segundo a Brigada.

Todos os atletas rumaram posteriormente ao Hospital de S. João, no Porto. A prestar assistência no local estiveram seis viaturas dos bombeiros, incluindo três ambulâncias, um veículo de desencarceramento e um outro de combate ao fogo.

Data: Segunda-Feira, 16 de Maio de 2005 08:09:00

3. Força Sporting

Sep 29, 2002
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Luckily, none of them have any life-threatening injuries. Can't take anything in this life for granted...

4. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
  5. Força Sporting

Sep 29, 2002
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  6. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    per person, we have the worst record in Europe, we just have to many accidents for such a small country

most of the accidents are for drinking and speed, to tell you guys the true, I'm scare of driving in Portugal, and I got a vacation coming

its driving and swimming, you always have to be careful

7. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    The Police stop you for the dumbest things there and miss all the drunks. They got a breathalizer that if your drunk you pay them on the spot and drive off :rolleyes: .

8. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I think some of the problems stems from not only drunk driving but from the lack of Driver's education....

Kids just get in cars and drive with no formal lessons.:eek:

I don't mind driving when in Portugal, but it is a "different" experience....

And you should always be ready for that BMW or MB that flies by you doing over 160KM

WTF are they in a hurry for:D

9. PassItOn

PassItOn New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    NJ
    Portugal tops the EU, in accidents, and deaths on the roads.

Driving in Portugal is not only aan adventure, but purelly scary.

Juve 160? Sometimes you have to do 160, just so they don't run you over.

They tried, just about everything from commercials etc.. Until you hit them in the wallet nothing will change. Their mentality is if a car can do 180Km, they will do it. Another thing you don't see much there is fender benders, when they crash, they crash.

Pretty sure drivers education is pretty hard there. So until you change the mentality of the people, Portugal will continue to lead EU in something not very desirable.

10. ALBU

ALBU New Member

Jun 15, 2004
    Toronto/Albufeira
    Though driving a car at 160km/h is an issue, much of the transportation infrastructure in Portugal is the greater issue...there are some nice auto routes linking the North with the South but once people start driving on secondary routes they still drive with the mentality that they're driving a well marked and fairly straight route.

11. Benfica_fan

Benfica_fan Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Connecticut
    I hope anyone involved in this accident wasn't seriously injured and are able to fully and quickly recover.

12. PassItOn

PassItOn New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    NJ
  13. El Ardillo

El Ardillo New Member

Jul 15, 2004
    Delaware
    driving in europe is always dangerous. bad roads, drinking, and small-fast cars are not a good mix.

...why is that always dangerous? sharks? gigantic carnivorous whales? or maybe the whales are angry at portugal for all the whaling you guys did around the acores...lol. still, why is swimming dangerous?

but in regards to the players, are they gonna be okay? accidents are always a fvcking pain in the ass. two boys from my school died an a girl a knew since third grade has been in the hospital for almost 3 months now. she had brain swelling and such, but she's getting better. which is little consolation to her b/c her boyfriend and best friend were killed in the accident and she wont be graduating with us now.

...i suggest we pray for those who are in car accidents b/c they really are terrible things.

14. RonaldoQuaresma88ca

RonaldoQuaresma88ca New Member

May 9, 2005
    When I was in Sao Miguel Azores in 95', my cousin and I went to a festival, and proceeded to have a few drinks. Anyways, as the festival was winding down, some guy we knew along with his cousin offered to give us a ride home. He happened to be drunk out of his mind, but that didn't stop him from driving, or us from getting in. Anyways, turns out this idiot behind the wheel was leaving (embarcar)for the U.S. the very next morning, and this gave him reason to jeopardize the lives of his passengers, so he thought. He began to drive about 100 miles an hour in the dark, on roads that could only fit one car. Anyways we go over a hill, at full speed, and all we see is headlights, and the idiot takes his hands off the steering wheel. His cousin in the passenger side grabs the steering wheel just before we slam head on into this car. We avoid the car, but take out the entire cement barrier around of a house (a mouro) not sure of the spelling. The owners come out of the house and look at us like we're , while the drunk idiot starts to cry like a baby, and say's, get this, Quando meu pai sabo disso, ele vai matar a mim, eu iria embarcar amanha, meu pai vai matar a mim" WELL NO ******** SHERLOCK!!! His cousin told the people that he'd drop by and fix the entire wall of cement. Not sure what happened with that or that f~ckin drunk idiot. We would of all probably been in the hospital if it wasn't for that guy. I happened to make the sign of the cross as we were goin over that hill when I saw the headlights of the oncoming car. Anyways, long story short, never get into a drunks car, especially when he's takin off to another country the next day.

Like Frank Cunha was saying, swimming can be dangerous. If you don't know how to swim, you shouldn't venture too far in the water. Same goes for driving. If you don't know how to drive well, you shouldn't be driving 160 km/hr.

Almost always when kids get into accidents, its cause they get cocky and try to impress their friends behind the wheel. I know from personal experience. You gotta be careful...driving isn't a joke.

For sure, our thoughts are with her and all their families.

15. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
  16. GatoFedorento

GatoFedorento New Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Porto, Portugal
    My mom is a nurse at Hospital S. João and she said to me that the doctors amputated that guy's foot. :( So his football days are over...
    When i was arriving to the hospital today at 20h00 pm i saw a journalist from sic television doing a live report there. I don't know if they already gave this news.
    This is really sad...

It's a shame that we have such a high dead record on the roads. A friend of mine had an accident recently while he was driving. Her grandmother died in the crash. He was naturally very disturbed. Two young men from my highschool already died in accidents. Almost everyone has a relative or knows someone that have perished in such circumstances. It's a shame.

17. El Ardillo

El Ardillo New Member

Jul 15, 2004
    Delaware
    death is a part of life. its a weakness of humans to have such attachment to it. we should know that they are indeed with God now and that we should not feel sad for them.

we should remember them and gradually move on, never forgetting, but not dwelling on the loss.

somethings are meant to happen, even death.

(not posting this to make people sad or whatever, just expressing a philosophy of mine.)

18. Portista69

Portista69 New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    London,Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    That is horrible news :(

19. El Ardillo

El Ardillo New Member

Jul 15, 2004
    Delaware
    yeah. it reminds me of rose. such a smart girl, whitty, cheery, beautiful, now she might have brain damage...

she wont graduate with us and i dunno if i'll ever be able to talk to her ever again. i told her that weekend that i'd talk to her on monday, i dunno if i ever will.

it makes me wanna cry and throw things around. why does stuff like this happen to good people?

20. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    more on the issue

A jeep driven by Porto midfielder Jose Bosingwa left the road and plunged eight metres down an embankment in northern Portugal early on Monday, police said.

Bosingwa and his four passengers, all soccer players, were injured, one seriously Sandro Luis, who plays for a third division club in the Azores Islands, underwent surgery and doctors indicated he may not play again.

The others injured were Boavista's Edu and Nelson Ramos and Jaime Linhares who play for second division Ovarense. They were treated in hospital and released.

Police said Luis was thrown from the vehicle and the others climbed out before it caught fire.

--------------------

21. Filho do Dragão

Filho do Dragão New Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Uma Nação
    [​IMG]

:eek: This says it all!

22. El Ardillo

El Ardillo New Member

Jul 15, 2004
    Delaware
    sheez, thats a wreck if i ever did see one!

it caught fire? cant get much worse...

23. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    they must be doing 200mph thats bad. i feel sorry for this. but i do agree the lack of knowledge due to drinking and drivers isnt present in portugal and they should start doing something about it.

24. RonaldoQuaresma88ca

RonaldoQuaresma88ca New Member

May 9, 2005
    Wow, the fact that all four survived is a miracle. I mean, even I'd be happy coming out with my foot amputated, when you consider the mess the car is.