News: 40 Man Provisional Roster For The 2019 CONCACAF Gold Cup

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Sebsasour, May 20, 2019.

1. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    So who is the long shot CB to make the final GC team? We know Miazga is in for sure.

2. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brooks, Yedlin, and Wood are all injury causalities. I was really bummed not to see Novakovich. That's a head scratcher given his season in the Eredivisie. That one thing that makes sense if that he's looking for a new club or headed back to Reading and that preseason is vital.

Tom Collingsworth and CyphaPSU repped this.
  3. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    My initial take was how does he even select Gutman and not select Wooten. However, I think GB is skewing towards youth and promise. If he brings in a new guy in to the fold they will be in the younger range. However, this is not the same as what he is doing with old, existing players.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  4. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    Tommy Thompson is a bit of a snub when you look at some of names on that list.

5. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    Yea something didn’t go right for the guys that are 25-29 now. Off the top of my head the best from that range is Yedlin, Brooks, and Lleget?

wixson7 repped this.
  6. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    I don't agree with the extreme negativity about the player pool. This isn't the best player pool ever, but I'd say that based on their club play (even if they haven't gotten a chance to prove it with the Nats yet) Pulisic, Adams, and McKennie are as good as any trio of players that the US has ever had playing at the same time.

There are plenty of question marks when it comes to filling out the starting 11 around them, but there are also lots of talented, youngish guys who could be ready to step up and break out as early as this summer--Steffen, Sargent, CCV, Horvath, both Robinsons, Holmes, Amon, etc. If a couple of those guys have a good tournament that leads into good starts/continuations of their club seasons, we could be looking at things much more optimistically come the fall.

And that's not counting anyone on the u-20 roster.

7. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Brooks, Yedlin, and Jesse Gonzalez are the only March callups to not make the list. With the first two being injured, is Gonzalez also injured?

Patrick167 repped this.
  8. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For all those questioning Gutman's inclusion on the 40-man roster..... I know he's currently on loan in the USL but mind you it's from Celtic. They wanted him to get game time and there's a real possibility that he could challenge for the starting LB spot next season. Anyways, being a Celtic guy I've kept me eye on Gutman since his arrival in Charlotte. Dude has been lights out. Three goals and two assists in 10 matches. Charlotte has been pretty dreadful but he's looked fantastic and clearly looks like be should playing at a level above that. Gutman won't make the final 23 for the GC but he's one for the future.

9. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suppose that is possible if you started counting from the T&T fiasco. I seem to recall that before then, neither McKennie nor Adams were mature enough. Personally, I think you are forgetting how slim the player pickings were under JK and BA. IMHO, this is clearly the beginning of a new and much better era.

gogorath, Marko72, GumbyG and 1 other person repped this.
  10. Smileton

Smileton Member

Richmond Kickers, Ipswich Town FC, FC Kaiserslautern
    United States
    Feb 7, 2012
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm glad that Berhalter went with youth in most cases. Our midfield core of Pulisic, Adams, and McKennie is strong and young enough to be with us for multiple cycles. I have faith in Sargent for the long term at striker. We definitely need some of the current U-20s to pan out. Things look much brighter if Tyler Boyd proves that he can ball at this level. Outside back is a problem, but at least there are multiple youth candidates who have the potential to come good. I'm hoping that Antonee Robinson has improved from his previous NT stints. He had a good run at the end of his time at Wigan. The one headscratcher for me is Alvarado. It seems like we could have used a veteran center back with Brooks out.

gogorath and wixson7 repped this.
  11. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only Johnson and Bedoya could possibly be considered snubs. Brooks is injured.

Deadtigers, WrmBrnr and Marko72 repped this.
  12. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Having Gyau on the list is very interesting with Green missing out. Green produced 4 goals and 3 assists compared to 2 and 1 for Gyau, but Green also started four times as many matches as Gyau.

Gyau has the advantage of being a winger, however, while Green is hurt by competing directly against Pulisic (because people want Pulisic as a #10).

13. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Chandler and Morales clearly deserve consideration given the lack of other options in our pool.

nowherenova and btlove repped this.
  14. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    Glad we found a spot for Bradley. He's been lights out for Toronto. Youth is ok for the other positions.

FormerNo10 repped this.
  15. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the thing. I am quite certain Berhalter has actually considered all the omissions and knows what he is doing. He has no expectation that BS participants or anyone else will agree with all his choices.

tomásbernal and DHC1 repped this.
  16. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    "Guys, Bruce has considered all omissions and knows what he is doing. He doesn't care if BS posters agree with his choices" - lmorin, 2017, probably

17. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    lmorin,

I completely agree that Berhalter can make the choices he wants. The question I have is if there are structural preferences at play that lower our collective ability. He and you can think that excluding multiple players who earn playing time at elite levels is what's best for the program but I simply disagree and am worried that our performances will continue to be subpar as we're making the same structural errors as the last failed cycle.

Namdynamo, FormerNo10 and Jazzy Altidore repped this.
  18. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I agree on Gutmans potential. The only issue is that he has very few pro games. I would say that this is Berhalter clearly putting a pro youth and potential on the years ahead.

19. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Shows just how far off the radar Hyndman is. Not even a sniff at the 40 man.

20. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m so glad that it took me 6 tries to find that Michael Bradley is in the provisional 40.

I’m so sad that it took me 6 tries to find that Micheal Bradley is in the provision 40.

Deadtigers, FormerNo10, TxEx and 6 others repped this.
  21. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Not too fair as the U17 and U20 (and upcoming U23 Olympics) have spread the pool a ton. Agree this 40 man GC roster is not deep at all, but the pool itself is solid.

22. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Players, age 28 and older;

Altidore, Bradley, O. Gonzalez, Guzan (GK), S. Johnson (GK), Nagbe, Ream

23. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a Union fan I'm torn. On the one hand it's nice not to lose one of our best and steadiest players to Gold Cup duty. On the other hand.......based on his play the past two years, it's rather shocking that Bedoya wasn't brought in to camp just from a leadership standpoint. Not to mention he's played in the same system that GB uses before, the past two seasons. If MLS Best 11 wasn't such a popularity contest, and based more on merit, Bedoya would be a shoe in.

Plus he's versatile and can play RB, CM, and RM.

That said, this roster will likely change with injuries and cuts.

FormerNo10, yurch10 and DHC1 repped this.
  24. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know who he is. He doesn't deserve crap. Lets see if he ever breaks in at Celtic.

25. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Who said anything about deserving? He comes with the @m vann seal of approval.

I can see that we view the GC very differently. I'm in favor of a youth movement, and I would have called in Weah and Dest (at least) if they weren't occupied elsewhere.

yurch10 repped this.