37th Anniversary of Roe v. Wade

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Riz, Jan 22, 2010.

1. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FotF spends millions of dollars each year fighting against common sense sex education and for abortion restrictions.

As far as I'm concerned, they can go die in a fire.

2. PhillyQuakesFan

PhillyQuakesFan New Member

Jun 25, 2007
    Delaware County, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And plenty of left-wing groups spend millions of dollars each year fighting against both.

3. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1) What?!

2) Do they do it during the Superbowl?

4. PhillyQuakesFan

Jun 25, 2007
    Delaware County, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Programs that don't address abstinence are just as lacking in common sense as those that insist it's the only way.

And no, but what the fxck does that matter.

5. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Have you ever tried that method?

If not, why not?

And if you think it's valid, to whom would you recommend it?

6. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If only you weren't completely wrong.

95.2% of schools that taught some form of sex ed, taught about abstinence.

http://www.guttmacher.org/tables/3220400t.html#t3

That's what we've been talking about for how many pages?

7. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Funny, target a largely male audience, use an anecdote with a woman describing a somewhat reckless endangerment of her own life that few men understand, and then pawn it off as being about choice - seems pretty dubious to me. If it was about choice, wouldn't they run it on Oscar night too - or is that where they allow the gay male dating service ads?

8. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's always amazing to me that the most rabid anti-abortion people usually don't have vaginas or regular access to anyone else's.

9. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    Who are the top five currently living people frequently mentioned in P&CE that you wish had been aborted?

10. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    What!

11. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
  12. Bochum Danno

Bochum Danno Red Card

Nov 2, 2009
    Nashville
    Club:
    VfL Bochum
    Huh???? The BCS standings reflect what people (and computers) think are the best teams. They have nada to do with political orientation. If you'd said that the SEC crowd tends to vote Republican, there'd have been no argument from me. But you didn't.

That Pam Tebow was willing to risk her life because of her religious convictions and somehow beat the odds is not evidence that other women should or even can do the same thing- it's evidence that Darwin missed a layup. Nothing more. The message is dangerous.

13. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zing!

14. PhillyQuakesFan

Jun 25, 2007
    Delaware County, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right, because Tebow couldn't get any college girl in America if he wanted to.

15. PhillyQuakesFan

Jun 25, 2007
    Delaware County, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those teams are the best ones for a reason. College football is a sport with a primarily southern and/or rural following.

Dangerous to the abortion industry, yes.

Again--what makes you think the ad is aimed only at women in her exact situation?

16. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The word "usually:" look it up.

17. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good grief! I hope they don't run that ad.

What if the abortion factory in my hometown gets shut down? Think of all the jobs that will be lost! Think how pissed the unions will be that thousands upon thousands of abortion factory workers will be out of a job!

I thought abortions were one of America's biggest exports too. Obama wants to double exports! How will that happen if we outsource our abortion industry to Viet Nam? Those are American abortion jobs! It's UnAmerican!

18. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See, here is where my sense of what does and doesn't look stupid is at odds with the established rules of punctuation. I would have put that colon on the outside of the quotation marks, even though I know that the rules say that it goes inside. But it looks goofy, so I would put it on the outside. Another option that I might explore is re-doing the sentence to eliminate the colon.

19. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I'm pretty sure in this case it goes outside the quotation marks. At least, that's what the Sixth edition of A Writer's Reference by the late Diana Hacker tells me.

Another way to avoid this problem, according to Hacker, is to use italics instead of the quote marks.

20. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Another way to avoid the problem is to say":"the hell with it, this is just bigsoccer":"

21. Bochum Danno

Bochum Danno Red Card

Nov 2, 2009
    Nashville
    Club:
    VfL Bochum
    Don't go there. You'll inevitably end up in the same place as that group of USA fans who tell everyone else "Just you wait until our athletes start playing the game". The South's edge in physical talent (if in fact it exists) is nothing to be proud of.

No.
    No, no, no.

College football is a sport whose Southern following comprises most of this region's population. That doesn't mean that most college football fans are Southerners. Do you even read what you type before hitting the "submit" button?

And without bothering to look it up, I'll guess that most of America's land is rural, probably.

22. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Freaky. Is that new?

23. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be honest, I wasn't 100% certain. So I went with the end-punctuation-inside-the-quotation rule.

I didn't even think of using italics. How silly of me.

24. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Bump...

Roe v Wade under assault again. In Alabammy the new bill won't even allow abortion in cases of rape or incest and it will imprison doctors performing abortions.

The law only allows exceptions "to avoid a serious health risk to the unborn child's mother," for ectopic pregnancy and if the "unborn child has a lethal anomaly." Democrats re-introduced an amendment to exempt rape and incest victims, but the motion failed on an 11-21 vote.

https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/05/14/po....html?r=https://www.cnn.com/search/?q=Alabama

25. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #100 xtomx, May 16, 2019
    Last edited: May 16, 2019
    Alabamastan's Governor Kay Ivey's Signing Statement [with my comments]

MONTGOMERY – Governor Kay Ivey on Wednesday signed into law the Alabama Human Life Protection Act, after both houses of the Alabama Legislature passed HB314.

Upon signing the bill, Governor Ivey released the following statement:

“Today, I signed into law the Alabama Human Life Protection Act, a bill that was approved by overwhelming majorities in both chambers of the Legislature. To the bill’s many supporters, this legislation stands as a powerful testament to Alabamians’ deeply held belief that every life is precious and that every life is a sacred gift from God. [except for the 6 people so far that I have had executed in my term as governor. Their lives were not 'precious' and were the spawn of Satan, of course.]

To all Alabamians, I assure you that we will continue to follow the rule of law. [which is why I signed a clearly unconstitutional law]

In all meaningful respects, this bill closely resembles an abortion ban that has been a part of Alabama law for well over 100 years. As today’s bill itself recognizes, that longstanding abortion law has been rendered “unenforceable as a result of the U.S. Supreme Court decision in Roe v. Wade.” [So, we should follow the "rule of law" regarding women's rights and women's health from over 100 years ago?!?]

No matter one’s personal view on abortion, we can all recognize that, at least for the short term, this bill may similarly be unenforceable. [which is why I signed a clearly unconstitutional law] As citizens of this great country, we must always respect the authority of the U.S. Supreme Court even when we disagree with their decisions. Many Americans, myself included, disagreed when Roe v. Wade was handed down in 1973. The sponsors of this bill believe that it is time, once again, for the U.S. Supreme Court to revisit this important matter, and they believe this act may bring about the best opportunity for this to occur. [Despite it being settled law for over 40 years and that there is absolutely no scientific or health reason to "revisit this important matter"]

I want to commend the bill sponsors, Rep. Terri Collins and Sen. Clyde Chambliss, for their strong leadership on this important issue.

For the remainder of this session, I now urge all members of the Alabama Legislature to continue seeking the best ways possible to foster a better Alabama in all regards, from education to public safety. We must give every person the best chance for a quality life and a promising future.” [Quality life, by imposing Christian-Sharia law and shackling women to babies, regardless of whether the woman wanted to be pregnant, was capable of raising a child, was impregnated by rape, incest or other form of coercion and, likely, ruining the lives of hundreds or thousands of women, just to make a hollow political stunt.]

https://governor.alabama.gov/statem...igning-the-alabama-human-life-protection-act/

fatbastard repped this.