3/19/05-RSL v. Colorado in LaPorte,TX [R]

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Numero Dos, Mar 20, 2005.

1. Numero Dos

Numero Dos Member

Sep 8, 2001
    Houston, TX
    RSL 2 Colorado 2

RSL played the Rapids tonight in LaPorte, Tx, which is a refinery town near Houston. The game wasn't really advertised in advance and this was an odd location, so the crowd was small. Still, the game was enjoyable. Some of the times below are estimates. I also have nothing official on injuries, these are guesses. I was watching the game to enjoy it and only taking a few notes, but this is what I recall.

Goals: 3' Eric Denton (free kick; Colorado 1-0); 11' Cunningham (from Chris Henderson; Colorado 2-0); 54' Jason Kreis (unassisted after picking up blocked Andy Williams shot; Colorado 2-1); 70' Jason Kreis (header from Marlon Rojas cross; 2-2 Tie)

Lineups:

RSL: Countess, Pierce, Dunseth, Akwari, Behnke, Selolwane (Whitfield 85'), Kamler, Williams, Rojas (Kraemelmeyer 80'), Kreis, Brown (O'Brien 60').

Colorado: Foss, (no.4 ?; program said Ricky Lewis, but not him), Lowery, Cullen, Denton, Terry Cook (Guillome 73', (no. 22, listed as Michael Erush, but not him), Beckerman, Henderson (Morales 46'), Peguero (Gonzalez 12' after Peguero ankle/knee injury?), Cunningham (Harris 65').

Colorado owned the first 15-20 minutes, but the game was fairly even after that. Kreis, Dipsy, and Williams played well for RSL (Dipsy created a lot of danger). Hard to tell the extent of Peguero's injury; he limped off. All of the goals were pretty nice. Denton's early free kick from about 25 yards was pretty impresive, but he's still Eric Denton. I'm not sure who 22 was for Colorado, but he was pretty weak. Leighton O'Brien is slow. I'll post more tomorrow. Maybe some pictures (the light wasn't great).

2. Blitzz Boy

Blitzz Boy Member

Apr 4, 2002
    The West Side
    Thanks, Dos!

That looks a lot like RSL's lineup when Mathis & Pope are out of town.

Maybe Halilovic for Rojas when Rojas is with Trinidad?

But there's a lot of names on the Colorado roster that I don't recognize.

3. justscore

justscore Member

May 31, 2004
    Southlake
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great job Jason!! JK9 appears ready to play this season. He is a top notch goal scorer and a great guy too! He will give you all he's got!!!!

4. Numero Dos

Numero Dos Member

Sep 8, 2001
    Houston, TX
    There's an official story now on the Rapids site.

5. Rapids/Arsenal Fan

Mar 8, 2001
    Denver, CO USA
    Foss: #3 or 4 Keeper last year.
    Lowery: Superdraft pick
    Cullen: Leo Cullen from Revs
    Denton: No idea
    Cooke: Terry Cooke, English defender on trial. Last played in Ecuador
    Guillome: No idea, but I think he might be a teenage Haitian from Florida that is on trial
    Beckerman: Kyle Beckerman
    Henderson: Chris Henderson
    Morales: Martin Morales, midfielder from Racing Club in Ecuador
    Peguero: Pedro Peguero
    Gonzales: Luchi Gonzales, got rights from Crew but was playing in Peru for Cristal
    Cunningham: Jeff Cunningham
    Harris: Wolde Harris

6. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    looks like Trinidad Rojas is playing mid like many predicted. Sounds like a sloppy game.
    Hope both teams got some new reasons tp hate each other. :)

7. Independiente

Independiente Member

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Mar 15, 2005
    Littleton, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RSL full team minus Mathis and Pope vs. Rapids team minus Borchers, Cannon, Mastroeni, and Kotschau (not to mention Chung). Needless to say, when both teams are at full strength, the Rapids WILL be the RMCup winners this year!

8. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry anything called "RM" Cup is bound to be won by RSL.

Lets be serious here.
    Mathis and Pope CAN make the difference in any game. They weren't there for the game because of call-ups. Granted so will CRapids National players, but only Pablo and Joe will really make a difference.

On April 16, Aug. 26, Oct. 1 and Oct. 15 are all either after WCQ matches or no where near a WCQ date (however I am not including friendlies). So both teams should be at full strength. Or whatever CRapids call their team when they have all their players. :)

9. stopper4

stopper4 Member

Jan 24, 2000
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No Cannon, no Borchers, no Kotschau, no Mastroeni, no Chung. Ditto likely starters Freeman and Melamed. Don't kid yourselves.

10. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I am kidding myself.
    Fear Chung and the Nat. LOL

The only two position I worry about in the RSL/CRapids rivalry is that of GK and d-mid.
    And it remains to be seen if Countess really can/can't do the job.
    Kamler is roleplayer, but he is not Pablo.

Other than that, the RSL backline is superior to CRapids and I would rather have Kreis, Mathis, Selolwane, Williams up front than C-ham, Chung and Peguero.