PBP: 2nd Fixture: August 16th, 2015 - Manchester City FCvs. Chelsea FC

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Wrath, Aug 14, 2015.

1. chief232

chief232 Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Mississauga, Ontario
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Robbie Brady? Decent player, how on earth exactly would he help us? :p

2. Sloth

Sloth Member

May 4, 2011
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yes Costa is an overrated player, fantastic goal scorer but hasn't got much else to add to his game when he's on the ball outside the box. Besides fighting with the opposition.

And instead of him we've got Falcao and Remy, I'm not a huge fan of Falcao, I wasn't a huge fan when he was in his prime and currently I don't see why he's here. I like Remy, although again I still rate Costa ahead of him.

I do agree with what you said Xamers. I'll forget the Brady point though.

Our transfer activity has been odd to say the least. We didn't need an overhaul obviously, but to not sign any player besides Falcao and Begovic baffled me. We've got a right back now which is a positive. Last season City still had a better side than us, just we had more discipline in the side and more motivation. Last season we HAD to win it! It was a MUST! 4 years without winning it, 5 years would have been too much. That mindset isn't there anymore. Now we have to retain it and without any other blood in the side that's just a tricky throught.

We will always have the Mourinho factor, but I can't see how our side is better than Cities when it comes to quality. I think they definitely have the stronger side.

3. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Costa is not in the top 5 strikers in the game right now, i think we all know that. but where he lacks in intricate play and dribbling skills of the top players, he makes up for in sheer intensity. could we be better off with an aguerro? maybe. kind of depends. but what he ABSOLUTELY does is occupy defenders and pulls them out of position and generally gives them headaches. he's obviously out of form, but he does look like he's moving freely again which is good to see.

as for the transfer activity, i have to think we have some plans for next year that we are trying not to interfere with.

4. chief232

chief232 Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Mississauga, Ontario
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    I thought one of the things that impressed me about Costa when he was on form(and a few people, if I recall?) was how well he linked up with the players around him and how well he drew defenders. He isn't the fastest but definitely has some power. I agree with Ninjatend0, he's looking a bit sharper lately. I don't think striker is our big problem right now, nor do I think Costa's really overrated tbh. I'd argue his behavior(which I laugh at sometimes :ROFLMAO:) has started to take away from how people rate the rest of his game.

I think he'll pick up his form again, but I also certainly hope the rest of our offense helps out. He still is a player who generally relies on good service for actually scoring goals.

cokeyounut and Blueallthru repped this.
  5. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Who would you put as clearly ahead of him? For me, he is top 5. I can think Aguero, Suarez, Ibra as a level above him. Benzema/Lewa/Cavani and Costa are about the same level.

6. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    yea, we need Oscar and Fabregas to be in good form.

Blueallthru repped this.
  7. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    personally i would put Benzema and Lewa above Costa. Cavani at one point sure, but now maybe not. you're right though, he's probably pretty close to being up there.

cokeyounut repped this.
  8. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Missed this one, tho it doesnt look like I missed much. Same problems we've all seen and recognized since the beginning of January... hell, even Jose's first season back I had serious questions about Willian and Ivans continued roles in our team and how bad things seem to get up top when Eden isn't performing. Not something I like being right about, its pretty annoying to see the same blindingly obvious issues go unaddressed game after game. The current vibe is a really bad one.. I know people are saying don't panic but its not panic. Failing to address flaws that have been ever present for this long is bad, how do you expect our results to suddenly get better when literally everyone has been underperforming since January? Thats a really shitty sign of things to come.

9. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Was it January? In all honesty it seems longer than that :(

We just seem to hit the buffers and squeeze through with some 1 goal wins over even quite modest sides. Of course, that will win you the league but not with much to spare in the way of performances. A narrow 1 goal win can just easily become a draw or even a loss. With other sides improving, (and we could ALL see the problems yanited, citeh and LeArse had last year), I tend to think we looked better than we actually were.

10. xamers

xamers Member

Aug 10, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Robbie freaking Brady. Correct. Love that guy. I'm alone in my admiration.;)

11. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Was saying that a lot last season... seeing us confidently win and close out a game was not at all a common occurrence.