28, sooner or later

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by Sport Billy, May 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    And Raleigh-Durham and Charlotte and Austin all blow all of those out of the water.

whiteonrice04 repped this.
  2. whiteonrice04

whiteonrice04 Member+

Sep 8, 2006
    Well the Raleigh area is growing so rapidly because everyone wants to be your neighbor.

3. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What I'd really like is a good measure of how many people can get to specific locations by car or public transportation in less than an hour in weekend traffic, and how many more can do it in two. But that's not something I can put together easily with publicly available sources.

artml repped this.
  4. RaisedEverywhere

Mexico
    Aug 9, 2017
    Detroit
    I'm worried this means we won't get in in this round. The final decision should come before MLS decides in mid December, but how do you think this affects us? If Wayne county goes with the Rock proposal and then MLS does NOT award Detroit a spot, what then happens to the site where the stadium would have gone up?

5. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The next two rounds will probably enter the league within a year or two of each other. Don't panic -- MLS probably will expand to a 28 league by 2022 at the latest.

6. NewSoutheasternSoccerFan

Atlanta United
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    I thought it was too late anyway for Detroit to get an expansion bid this round anyway. Detroit City or whatever the team name will be will need at least 3-4 years after the "go ahead" button is pushed. I am all for Detroit and do believe they will get an expansion club, but there bid is very complicated. This is an investment that doesn't need to be rushed.

7. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see it that way... How is Detroit late?

Wayne County has been postponing the decisions on the jail site, because they are working with the MLS Detroit team. A decision would of been made months ago if they didn't want to work out the qinks with the MLS Detroit group. If MLS Detroit gets the go ahead on the jail site on Dec 1, then they are right on track... and possibly one of the best bids, considering all the other intangibles.

In July they filed for a trademark of "Detroit City Soccer Club", and just recently they filed for another one... "Motor City Soccer Club".

Seems to me the Detroit group is moving in the right direction, and still one of the contenders for the next 2 spots.

RaisedEverywhere repped this.
  8. RedRover

RedRover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 15, 2007
    Just combine the two names and you'll have "Detroit Motor City Soccer Club".

You know how I feel about it.
    [​IMG]

;):D

9. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Unless they played in a temp facility (which I'm strongly against), they would be extremely hard pressed to have that stadium done by 2020.

I'm predicting Detroit as a shue-in once the land deal is approved, but not till spots 27/28

10. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It doesn't matter if you are against a temp facility.... MLS is fine with temp facilities. They have stated that bidding cities need to have a viable stadium plan. They never said you have to have a stadium in place by 2020.

There is also this (posted less then a month ago)....
    "Arn Tellem: Detroit MLS expansion team could play by 2020"

RaisedEverywhere and AndyMead repped this.
  11. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    No they are not. Circumstance, and poor planning have forced the last three expansion clubs into temp facilities. That was one of the big drivers of this "official" vetting process for the next round. I've gotten it on "good word" that MLS has been less than happy with Minny's delay. State legislation issues aside, the property agreements that were supposed to be done, weren't.

I believe they did o_O (not looking it up though)

That sounded like spin to me when i read it a month ago. A lot of potential markets "could" play by 2020. Nebulous PR talk.

There is a ton of work that still needs to be done before DET could break ground. Just the paperwork trail- permits, entitlements, EIR, design- doesn't happen overnight. I'm sure some of it is in the pipeline, but you can only go so far before actually controlling the site.

The most realistic site plan (in my eyes) requires the stadium to occupy part of the juvenile facility property just south of the unfinished jail. They have to build a new Juvie center first- requiring a property transfer with the City for the new jail site, and relocating the City General services dept currently occupying the location.

Lots of moving parts and logistics. Like I said, won't happen by 2020, unless they can play in a temp location.

If they do ask my opinion on that..............well, you know my answer :D

12. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2037 Footsatt, Oct 4, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
    This is what MLS released to the public...

"A comprehensive stadium plan that ensures the club will have a proper home for their fans and players while also serving as a destination for the sport in the community."

The keyword is plan.

RaisedEverywhere and AndyMead repped this.
  13. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    So....

2018: LAFC
    2019: Miami (24 teams)
    2020: Nashville & Sacramento (26 teams)
    2021: Cincinnati (27 teams)
    2022: Detroit (28 teams)

14. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the largest market left by a considerable amount and well-heeled owners with sports experience, it comes down to the stadium plan.

Even if things don't line up soon enough for 27/28, Detroit has 29 or 30 when ready. For a built out league, Detroit is either the last must-have or the first should-have. Miami was already promised a team, and that's not quite Detroit's situation, but the market is the next biggest.

15. Dominican Lou

Dominican Lou Member+

Nov 27, 2004
    1936 Catalonia

Anyone else think it's absolutely laughable that in this country, the sport is called "soccer", the league is called Major League Soccer, but several teams have "Football Club" in their official names?

Pathetic caving in to Euro snobbiness. I hope this "soccer club" thing stays.

(Oh, and I'm THE farthest thing from an "America ******** yeah" type of guy.)

16. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A friend has a sixteen year old daughter named America. Sweet kid. She really hates that song.

But it still comes to mind.

17. whiteonrice04

whiteonrice04 Member+

Sep 8, 2006
    Football is the original name (even in America)...so no it isn't weird at all.

owian repped this.
  18. Bisquick_in_da_MGM

Jul 26, 2013
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I still don’t think Sac gets in. MLS has figured out the sport is viable outside of California, Texas, and Florida.

19. Kavok

Kavok New Member

Roma
    United States
    May 18, 2017
    Here is the issue though... it is very likely 25/26 for Detroit or bust. There is a very good chance that 27/28 won't work. So if MLS wants Detroit and definitely if they want a downtown Detroit stadium, it is now or never.

Here is why: With all of the moving parts finally aligning in place, the setup is there for Gilbert and Gores to get their downtown stadium should a MLS franchise be awarded. It goes without saying that no franchise award = no Detroit stadium.

But let's take that one step further. Let's say MLS doesn't award Detroit #25/26. Now you have a situation where Gilbert spent a lot of money to get prime downtown property. Being the good business man he is, he is not going to
    sit in the vacant parcel of that size hoping that Detroit maybe would get #27/28. Every year that site is not developed is millions of $ lost. In this scenario, he likely redevelops the parcel with Residential towers, and/or commercial and other uses. Again, he doesn't sit on it being vacant though, as the land there is too valuable.

And once the land is developed into other uses, the last big place a soccer stadium could realistically get built in Downtown Detroit is gone. And with that goes Gilbert's incentive to land a franchise in the first place. As described earlier, Detroit is the last must have or first should have market remaining in MLS. And to get a downtown Detroit stadium, it is now or never for MLS.

RaisedEverywhere repped this.
  20. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The time difference between the announcement of 25/26 this December, and 27/28 next year is probably 6-8 months at the most.

If Detroit is not ready for 25/26, they will know whether they are getting a later spot (they are a lock).

Expansion will be long over before a shovel could ever hit the dirt for a residential tower. Its not like building a shed in the back yard. Rules, and stuff......

The Franchise repped this.
  21. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2046 Footsatt, Oct 5, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    Except residential towers and business towers are part of the Detroit plan. A $1 Billion plan was proposed, included a stadium and 3 or 4 towers.

[​IMG]

I think the 3 or 4 highlighted buildings in this rendering are all new and part of the proposed Detroit plan.

22. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
  23. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I think u missed my point

24. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yea, I did... I think I was reading the post above yours, but quoted yours. My bad.

30King repped this.