28, sooner or later

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by Sport Billy, May 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    old news no longer relevant
    move on

2. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because many of them live in places from where RBA is accessible, or followed them from Giant's Stadium.

I'd suggest that their current attendance problems are a result of many of the older Metrostars fans drifting away with no local population to replace them.

I have anecdotal evidence from friends who have just given up going. One friend says it takes him as long to walk from a convenient parking spot in Harrison to the Arena as it used to take him to drive to Giant's Stadium.

And an awful lot of NYCFC hard-core support are Millennials from the Bronx or Queens, for whom it can be a 90 minute trip to RBA, and 60% of NYC households don't own cars.

aetraxx7 repped this.
  3. Lothsor

Lothsor Red Card

Oct 19, 2018
    90 minutes? The nearest MLS team to me is three hours.

If there was an MLS team 90 minutes from me I would have season tickets.

I guess a second team in NYwasn't such a good idea then.

Is there no public transportation to RBA from Manhattan?

Uber?

4. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is a PATH station a few blocks away from RBA. However, the only way to get from the island to NJ is to get to the World Trade Center station via the NYC subway system. The bigger downside is that until the end of 2020, PATH does not have weekend service to the WTC station and terminates on the NJ side of the Hudson.

Outside of that, they would be looking at taking a car, which, as Paul pointed out, many NYC residents don't have and paying for a cab/uber from NYC to Harrison is just not going to happen.

aetraxx7 repped this.
  5. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006