28, sooner or later

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by Sport Billy, May 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cincy Liverpool fan

Fc Cincinnati
    Jun 16, 2015
    Cincinnati, USA
    Club:
    Cincinnati Kings
    CPS approved the land swap unanimously (6-0), fc cincy also closed the deal on a few more parcels of land. City council official vote Monday

OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  2. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    squeaky bum time for CIncy. Berding reportedly feels this will go 5-4 in favor. If that happens, Id expect MLS announces Cincinnati no later than the end of the week. Gotta admit holding firm on West End took muchos huevos grandes, but seems will be an outstanding location. And of course, Cincy is MLS ready for 2019 with Nippert as a plenty-adequate temporary location.

Your move Sacramento.......Figure it out.

3. Traumer

Traumer Member

Feb 25, 2016
    Cincinnati
    Votes seem to be a formality now. My guess is 90% chance within 30 days formally accepted into MLS for 2020 season. If this somehow falls through we're done.

4. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you don't think MLS might request 2019?

5. Traumer

Traumer Member

Feb 25, 2016
    Cincinnati
    No, and I hope they don't. 2020 makes far more sense with us entering with Nashville.

6. Cincy Liverpool fan

Fc Cincinnati
    Jun 16, 2015
    Cincinnati, USA
    Club:
    Cincinnati Kings
    And the vote passes. FC Cincy will get their stadium in the heart of the city

7. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3182 OWN(yewu)ED, Apr 16, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    Congrats man! congrats to all cincy fans, that was a harder road than most, lets see if MLS announces it in the very near future.

It does sting a lot though seeing so many teams get named before Sacramento. At least Sacramento of the east looks like its getting a spot. Attendance juggernauts are great for the league.

Cincy Liverpool fan repped this.
  8. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Will be a fine addition to the league, IMHO.

9. Traumer

Traumer Member

Feb 25, 2016
    Cincinnati
    I just need to figure out parking. Right now I hike from Mecklenburg to Nippert, but I don't mind as means park for free. Guessing be paying $10 now even if I walk a mile.

10. Cincy Liverpool fan

Fc Cincinnati
    Jun 16, 2015
    Cincinnati, USA
    Club:
    Cincinnati Kings
    My little brother lives off republic street, parking is pretty good down there as long as you’re not parking on vine street ha
    Thanks man, hoping your owner finds a partner and Sacramento gets in. This has been a very long and taxing process. Serious stadium fatigue atm.

11. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats to Cincy. Looks like a done deal or just about.

Do they have all the land needed for the stadium & a new Stargell stadium?

If so, I bet MLS would like 2019 to get us back to an even number. Miami can come in with Nashville.

12. Traumer

Traumer Member

Feb 25, 2016
    Cincinnati
    People keep pushing this 2019 narrative with us, but for me we are nowhere near ready for that. I'd rather come into MLS and be somewhat competitive having infrastructure in place than out first season being abysmal embarrassment losing interest when we should be seeing an uptick.

13. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    When the club started... Berding and the first coach were at Listermanns and said the plan was to be in MLS in 2020. Either way, 2019 or 2020 is fine.

As for being ready, all they need to do is to decide whether to keep or replace Koch as manager and do an expansion draft. In the mean time, there are a couple of transfer windows between now and March 2019. They should be able to start signing more MLS caliber players any time. Guaranteed promotion!

14. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt Cincy would start in MLS in 2019. MLS would like to avoid another Minnesota United situation. 2020 is most likely. Of course, MLS still has to make it official too.

15. Traumer

Traumer Member

Feb 25, 2016
    Cincinnati
    Berding likes Koch a lot and the Open Cup bought him another year. I think the main pressure now is to do well in the playoffs being 0-2 right now.

16. Justin O

Justin O Member+

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Nov 30, 1998
    on the run from the covid
    Club:
    Seattle
    I'm not exactly sure what "Minnesota situation" is and where the parallels with Cincinnati would be. Cincinnati seems a unique situation with no equivalents in the league currently.

That said, I am sure there are advantages to having more time to launch the MLS version of FC Cincinnati, and therefore going with 2020.

17. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    meanwhile Sacramento has seen NYCFC, Orlando, Atlanta, Minnesota, Miami, Nashville, and now 99% sure Cincinnati pass them up. Now............they gotta worry about Phoenix (who as far as we know are already crossing off Ts and dotting Is.

18. RedRover

RedRover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 15, 2007
    It's Detroit that's truly fuked. And Gilbert and Gores did it all on their own. If they had a deal for a proper SSS stadium in hand at the jail site, which Gilbert now seems to own the land, they would have had a team awarded to them by now. Instead, they hitched their little wagons to the Fords and the enclosed dome that is Ford Field. They're not getting in now, and will likely be surpassed by Sacramento and Phoenix, who didn't even make the final cut, and perhaps Austin, if Precourt sells the Crew to local owners and, in return, gets a team in the Texas capital. Nice job, A$$HAT$! :mad:

19. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    The "Minnesota situation" has a name... Adrian Heath. The only equivalent was Orlando City's first season in MLS.

Fortunately, FC Cincinnati doesn't have this problem.

20. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate to admit that’s true, Detroit is somehow....... making Sacramento look good. Sacramento needs to thank the old gods and the new Detroit screwed up so bad

21. Justin O

Justin O Member+

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Nov 30, 1998
    on the run from the covid
    Club:
    Seattle
    In their defense, they probably look at Mercedes Benz Stadium and don't see something much different. A frequently-enclosed dome that sometimes as a circular opening in the top.

22. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They saw it, but mls feelings on it are abundantly clear now unfortunately for them

23. Initial B

Initial B Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    I wouldn't count out Detroit yet. They've made exceptions before and perhaps MLS wants that TV market as much as Phoenix.

24. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just think they would have done it by now if they were interested, the bid has literally everything in place since December. I think prevailing wisdom is if the Detroit bid was good enough it would have been announced with Nashville, but who knows

25. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Minnesota Situation is rushing the jump to MLS. They announced in August 2016 that they would begin play in MLS for the 2017 season. The league wants teams to have a good solid year or more of build up to the maiden voyage in MLS. Minnesota didn't have that, and they suffered greatly on the field for the first half of last season.

Scouting/signing MLS level players, hiring technical staff, bulking up the FO, sponsorship sales, season ticket sales, training facilities (temporary and permanent), etc. That all takes time to get it done right.

Yeah, except NONE of those teams (except Nashville) leap frogged Sacramento. Sacramento wasn't truly in the expansion game until the past year and a half. Atlanta was announced in April 2014, Orlando was announced in November 2013, NYCFC was announced in May 2013, & Miami was first announced in Feb 2014. Those teams were all announced before Sac Republic had ever played a game in USL..... Minnesota United was announced in March 2015. Hell Nagle hadn't even bought into Sac Republic until Sept. 2014

Sacramento would be in MLS if Nagle had brought/sent a complete bid to MLS HQ in December. He didn't. The criteria had been laid out. Until the criteria is met, MLS isn't going to award Nagle and Co. an expansion team.

SiberianThunderT repped this.