25 and 26 Poll

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by Footsatt, Jan 27, 2017.

?

Guess the next 2 MLS Teams (25 & 26)

Poll closed Aug 27, 2017.
  1. Charlotte

11 vote(s)
    9.3%
  2. Cincinnati

35 vote(s)
    29.7%
  3. Detroit

14 vote(s)
    11.9%
  4. Nashville

9 vote(s)
    7.6%
  5. Phoenix

10 vote(s)
    8.5%
  6. Raleigh/Durham

3 vote(s)
    2.5%
  7. Sacramento

77 vote(s)
    65.3%
  8. St Louis

16 vote(s)
    13.6%
  9. San Antonio

8 vote(s)
    6.8%
  10. San Diego

28 vote(s)
    23.7%
  11. Tampa

14 vote(s)
    11.9%
  12. Other

3 vote(s)
    2.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sac should get a team. They are shovel ready. With the issues for STL & SD lately, I too have Cincy next. One east (midwest almost south)/one west.

Unak78 repped this.
  2. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sac and Cincy are peas of a pod; attendance juggernauts. That looks aesthetically pleasing game day any time theres a ton of butts in seats. Would be fitting if they came in together.

And then we keep an eye out for the next attendance powerhouse. Could it be Nashville?? wait n see. Theyre checking off a lot of the right boxes there.

Unak78 repped this.
  3. Initial B

Initial B Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    Sac and Cincy would be ideal as it provides relatively local rivalries for existing clubs, yet are far enough away to engage new markets. I'm betting that MLS will consider it a plus if there is an existing team within a 4 hour drive of a candidate city. That also bodes well for Tampa, Nashville, St Louis, Indianapolis, and Miami.

4. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Detroit... Chicago, Crew and Toronto all within 4 hours drive.

5. Blong

Blong Member+

Oct 29, 2002
    Midwest, the real one.
    As of today, 3 candidates are set to go with stadium solutions: Tampa, Phoenix and Sac. The next two teams will come from this list unless other markets secure stadium solutions.

I'm thinking that Tampa is the odd one out here, despite its market size. Just the combination of demographics, oddball owner and oddball stadium.....

and it would be hard to keep preaching the necessity of a new downtown stadium and community support if Sacramento is passed over...

6. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What about San Antonio? They have a stadium too, and it can be expanded.....

7. Blong

Blong Member+

Oct 29, 2002
    Midwest, the real one.
    I think they still need to come to an agreement on the expansion and lease terms. It's much further along than Cincy and Nashville.

8. I Touchdown There

Med
    United States
    Jun 15, 2017
    Simply my opinion, but I believe that San Antonio is a "Plan B" expansion candidate and would be instantly leapfrogged by just about every other expansion candidate on the list if those other cities got their shit together. Again, just my opinion, which I base on market size and league footprint.

9. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's fairly apparent that Garber wants Miami, San Diego, St Louis and Detroit. How long is he willing to wait it out? Could we see 32 eventually?

10. I Touchdown There

Med
    United States
    Jun 15, 2017
    Miami is team 24. So don't know why you are including them in the expansion discussion for slots 25 through 28.

St. Louis is dead. No stadium = no team.

I would tend to agree that the league would prefer San Diego over Sacramento, but I simply don't see that happening at this point. I don't see San Diego ever getting the stadium situation sorted out.

I would tend to agree that in a perfect world Detroit would be in the league's top 4 as well. A lot of hurdles to overcome there too. But there haven't been any setbacks yet either. That bid seems to be stuck in neutral...which isn't the worst place to be right now.

With the early success of Atlanta, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if MLS is giving the southern bids a lot longer look. Nashville went crazy for the Preds. Not a traditional "hockey town", but great support. Could soccer get the same level of attention there?

I don't see Indy being a real player at this point. If Cincinnati gets their stadium funding sorted they become a legit player. I can't imagine a scenario in which a player doesn't die on the field in Phoenix during the summer months. I just can't see the league responsibly moving into that market without an indoor stadium, which would be too expensive to build. Charlotte could be interesting, but they are in line behind Nashville for a southern team. And Raliegh is behind Charlotte.

And I think Tampa's chances were killed as soon as Miami got the final piece of land they needed to build. The only way Tampa gets a team is if 9 other cities all fall flat, and that ain't happening.

11. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not saying that those cities are ready for MLS, I'm suggesting he wants those markets and it's a question of how long he's willing to wait.

12. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Im not sure Charlotte is ahead of Raliegh. They kinda got a quiet behind the scenes thing going on. Charlotte we know is all but dead in the water asking for public funding. We havent any proof Raleigh has asked for that yet, and they sounds like they have a downtown stadium plan with 2 alternatives.

That said Nashville is about to lap both of them.

13. I Touchdown There

Med
    United States
    Jun 15, 2017
    I understand that. Was simply adding my two cents.

But Miami really doesn't belong in this discussion. They were already granted the provisional 24th slot. So the other 12 expansion candidates really aren't competing against Miami and they never were. Its an important distinction to make.

The Franchise repped this.
  14. Lentil Soup with Beans

Portland Thorns/Timbers
    Azerbaijan
    Mar 28, 2017
    The Dinner Table
    tampa miami and orlando is an awesome trio for winter games add SA to texas for even more fun :) tampa is in the cincy range to me.

let seperate the now, the real, the almost, the far back and the non:

the now:

Sac, Tampa, Cinci,

the real:

Phx, SA

the almost:

Nashville

the far-back:

Detroit, Charlotte, Raleigh/Durham

the dead:

Indy. StL. SD.

so really 25-28 is now a race out of 9 down from 12.

here is the rankings:

the now the real the almost the far-back

the dead.

15. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The one that can go from far back to lock on a dime is Detroit, but they could take years before that gets sorted.

Raleigh gets in the competition whenever they show something , anything, and don't mention the words "public funds". Any candidate who utters those words might as well write em off

16. SteveUSSF_ref8

SteveUSSF_ref8 Member+

United States
    Oct 25, 2010
    Sun City, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see San Diego as a dead bid due to the political climate on the stadium issue. I just don't see San Diego turning things around anything soon. The city council is more worried about getting SDSU whatever they want than MLS soccer. They still are hoping that the NFL will come back someday, and see MLS as settling. Therefore due to this mind set by those who run things in the city, the NASL in the North country seems to be a better fit for pro soccer in San Diego. At this point, I imagine that Sacramento and Cincinnati are locks for teams 25 & 26. They will then be followed by either San Antonio or Phoenix and Nashville.

17. Initial B

Initial B Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    I think the other thing people need to remember is that Miami already has a soccer team in Miami FC. How many of their supporters would switch to an MLS club? And with San Diego getting a NASL club, how will it affect the supporter base if they start supporting those teams and then another entity steps in? I guess use New York as an example?

18. I Touchdown There

Med
    United States
    Jun 15, 2017
    Toronto had a team called the Lynx before TFC. Atlanta had a team called the Silverbacks before Atlanta United FC. New York City has the Cosmos before NYCFC joined. An existed NASL or USL team has absolutely zero bearing on whether or not MLS will move into a market or not. They've done it multiple times over the last decade with absolutely no issues.

19. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably just about all of them. Minor league teams, attendance-wise, always get crushed by rival major league teams in the same metropolitan area.

The Franchise repped this.
  20. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt NYCFC would have affected the Cosmos as they played west of the city and drew a lot of support from the local El Salvadorean community.

There would have been some effect on Red Bull attendances as people in Northern Jersey find it easier to drive across the George Washington Bridge and use one of the 9,000 parking places at Yankee Stadium than to drive to Harrison and find a parking spot.

A friend of mine is a casual Red Bulls fan but only goes to Yankee Stadium because of the difficulties he's faced getting to and parking in Harrison (even though technically it's equidistant). He says the only way the Red Bulls would work for him would be if there were a shuttle bus from MetLife Stadium.

21. I Touchdown There

Med
    United States
    Jun 15, 2017
    I think you missed the point. The poster I was replying to was wondering if an existing NASL team in a market would deter or play a part in MLS' decision to expand into that market.

History shows that it doesn't matter at all. And that was the point of my post.

22. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another data point: Utah had the highest-drawing D3 team when RSL was announced. It folded rather than competing.

The NY Cosmos are the closest thing to a success in such a situation, but running that team is more expensive than chain-smoking Benjamins.

jaykoz3 repped this.
  23. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have been voting on this for around 6 months now.

#25 = Sacramento with the clear lead at 76 votes
    #26 = is close but Cincy has the edge at 34 votes

San Diego is not far behind at 28 votes

Then there is gap to Tampa & Detroit at 15 and 14 votes respectively.

Then another gap to the rest all with 11 or less.

I have this poll set to end at the end of August, you can adjust your vote until the poll ends.