25 & 26 Poll take 2

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by Footsatt, Oct 5, 2017.

?

Guess the next 2 MLS Teams (25 & 26)

Poll closed Jan 5, 2018.
  1. Charlotte

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Cincinnati

26 vote(s)
    38.8%
  3. Detroit

16 vote(s)
    23.9%
  4. indianapolis

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  5. Nashville

34 vote(s)
    50.7%
  6. Phoenix

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Raliegh/Durham

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  8. Sacramento

48 vote(s)
    71.6%
  9. St Louis

3 vote(s)
    4.5%
  10. San Antonio

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  11. San Diego

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Tampa

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This first poll was meant to go until MLS made a decision on the next 2. MLS postponed the decision a while back, and has stated they will now decide 25 & 26 in Dec. Vote for the 2 you think will be the next expansion teams.

This poll assumes number 24 is Miami

2. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    25/26 Sac/ Nashville
    27/28 Detroit/ Cincy or Phoenix or STL (hail mary last minute rebid)

Coyote89 repped this.
  3. Coyote89

Coyote89 Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 18, 2017
    That's what I think as well. Surprised how quickly Nashville has moved up the list but I think MLS wants several teams in the southeast to fill-out the national footprint. That could be just as important as landing major markets like Detroit, Phoenix, or St. Louis in terms of maximizing the value of the next TV deal. Plus, they have a very ambitious owner, strong support from the city, and the stadium plan is ready to go.

Personally, I'm rooting for Nashville. Would make a great regional rival for Atlanta, fun city to visit, and I think the people there would really embrace it. Look at the way they support the Predators. No one would have expected Nashville to be a great NHL city, but it is.

4. Initial B

Initial B Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    I think any applicant within a 2-4 hour driving distance of an existing MLS club gets bonus rivalry points with the expansion committee. Less than 2 hours is too close and more than 4 hours is too far (Toronto-Montreal excepted).

5. Coyote89

Coyote89 Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 18, 2017
    Generally agree unless we're talking about the NYC and LA derbies. Those teams are in the same city, yet the rivalries will be good for the league. In contrast, I don't know that Columbus-Cincinnati would benefit anyone other than those two teams.

6. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #6 Footsatt, Oct 6, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
    That would be a good study to see the potential rivals for each expansion club.

My Detroit bias has Detroit looking good.
    Columbus - under 4 hours away (great rival with UofM and Ohio State)
    Chicago - around 4 hours away (natural rival with MLB, NBA & NHL)
    Toronto - around 4 hours away (rivalry with Maple Leafs and Red Wings)
    Minneapolis - over 10 hours away (but the Vikings and the Lions are in the same division and have been since the 60s)

RedRover repped this.
  7. RedRover

RedRover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 15, 2007
    Add Montreal to that list as both the Red Wings and Canadiens are both NHL Original Six teams with a legendary past clashing for Stanley Cups. Plus, Highway 401, which comes from the 401 Derby that Montreal and Toronto clash in, begins at the Ontario-Quebec border and ends at the Detroit-Windsor border.

Footsatt repped this.
  8. Initial B

Initial B Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    Fixed. MLS is just following the other Major Leagues doubling their NY-LA teams. Seems to work for them.

9. Coyote89

Coyote89 Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 18, 2017
    Actually, I think it's even more meaningful in MLS because the LA and NYC teams will play each other twice a year, every year, and compete in the same conference standings. That makes for a much better rivalry than local teams from the NL and AL playing each other only in inter-league play or a game like Jets vs. Giants which only happens once in a blue moon and doesn't involve a divisional or conference playoff race between the two teams.

Footsatt repped this.
  10. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NYC and LA are huge. Depending on the measure used, LA is half again to twice the population of Chicago (which ably supports two MLB clubs, the sport which requires the most attendance). NYC is over twice as big as any place other than LA by any measure. And beyond being centers of people, these are centers of money and media.

11. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After the vote tonight, it has to be Sac & Nash. They are ready to go.

Then MLS will take a breath. They won't rush decisions on 27 & 28. There isn't anothe bid that is good to go anyway. Figure out what becomes of the Crew.

2018: LA
    2019: Miami, Sac, Nash.

Then take a break.

canammj repped this.
  12. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Miami good to go, or do they need another year to get their zoning and other issues completed?

13. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Detroit is ready.... as long as MLS is cool with Ford field.

14. RedRover

Aug 15, 2007
    After what the league told them what they thought about Ford Field, I doubt they are.

15. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The league has not made any comments specific to Ford Field yet.

16. RedRover

Aug 15, 2007
    No, but they said they'd prefer soccer specific stadiums where the owners control the revenues. Ford Field was built for NFL football in mind. Soccer, not so much, unlike Seattle's and Atlanta's which were built for soccer as well. Don Garber said he'd much prefer the jail site for the stadium.

And what sort of arrangement do Gilbert and Gores have with the Ford family about playing in their stadium? How much of an ownership stake, if any, do they have? And where will any profits go? Into their bank accounts?

Gilbert and Gores really screwed themselves with last week's shocking announcement. They just put themselves in the back of the line for a franchise, if they have any hope left.

17. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seemed to me that Detroit city was trying to squeeze, and squeeze some more, to get as many concessions as possible for the jail site. Now they will get nothing for their jail site and it will sit unfinished for decades.

18. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think so, the jail plan will go through still, There just wont be a stadium attached to it.

20. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When did Garber say this? I think he said this 6 months ago or more? Long before Ford field was even being considered.

NYCFC also made an arrangement with NY Yankees for a stadium. MLS has recent history showing that making these kinds of arrangements/partnerships can work.

21. RedRover

Aug 15, 2007
    #21 RedRover, Nov 9, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    MLS made an exception for New York City because they wanted that second NYC market within city limits in the worst way possible. Whether they feel the same way about Detroit in this new arraignment remains to be seen. If I were a betting man, I'd say the answer is a flat out no.

I hate to break it to you, but Detroit's chances of ever landing an MLS team now have a huge fork stuck deep inside it.

The Franchise repped this.
  22. Traumer

Traumer Member

Feb 25, 2016
    Cincinnati
    My prediction

2018: Los Angeles 2
    2019: Sacramento
    2020: Nashville and Cincinnati
    2022: Miami and Tampa

23. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Sac won't be 2019.

If Miami finally gets approved, and begins construction, I see them as the most likely for 2019 in a temp location.

I don't see Tampa at all. Ownership $$ issues, low median income for region, and Rays not wanting competition.

24. marzer

marzer New Member

Orlando City
    United States
    Nov 10, 2017
    Has anyone heard anything about Raleigh recently? Seems interesting to me that the owner of North Carolina FC is on the USSF board of directors, is moving to USL, didn't fight for the NASL lawsuit, has some private financing for the stadium, and continues to show the 919 to MLS marketing on Twitter but there's been ZERO news over the past couple of months.

Any chance of a last ditch effort or is the Raleigh bid effectively dead? I feel like Raleigh would be a better market than Nashville (less saturation of the pro market), and would be a natural fit between DC and Atlanta.

25. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    They are done for this round. The State pumped the brakes on the big land/building swap-lease or whatever the plan was.