211 To 1: World Cup 2018 Elimination Timeline [R]

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by EvanJ, Jan 15, 2015.

1. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I wouldn't take the friendly seriously. You really can never judge by friendlies. Iceland tied with Canada previously in a friendly not too long ago. They are a strong team and will be a dark horse at the World Cup.

glennaldo_sf and thedragonrik58 repped this.
  2. Nico777

Nico777 Member+

Olympique de marseille
    Croatia
    Oct 19, 2017
    Sweden and Denmark won't be easy opponents i can guarantee that.

3. thedragonrik58

thedragonrik58 Member+

Los Angeles Football Club
    Mexico
    Jul 5, 2011
    Palmdale
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Iceland will make the QF's in Russia. Remember this post.

4. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know man, I am just kidding around... you could tell the Icelandic players were getting annoyed at a lot of the challenges coming in from the Qatari players.

thedragonrik58 repped this.
  5. Every Four Years

May 16, 2015
    Miramar, Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    I also recall them losing against Norway and the UAE before Euro 2016. Of course England knows how things went at the actual Euro...

Iceland, even more so than many other teams, doesn't seem to take friendlies very seriously. They play much, much better in serious matches. So yeah, I agree, Iceland should be solid at the World Cup.

6. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Semifinals if they are lucky. Honestly I have watched them play and with a bit of luck, they are capable of beating any team other than Spain, and Germany. Maybe Brazil, but I have not watched them play recently.

7. Nico777

Nico777 Member+

Olympique de marseille
    Croatia
    Oct 19, 2017
    Iceland won't reach semi finals unless they got a run like turkey in 2002 avoiding greats to get second place in a group and then in round 16 and 1/4.
    They will be exposed as soon as they meet a complete experienced team at high level.

Philip J. Fry repped this.
  8. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I think quarterfinals is a good bet. Kind of like Costa Rica last season. But remember Costa Rica matched Netherlands and only lost on penalties, so very well had the quality to reach semis if they just took their penalties better. Thats why I say it is a slight chance. Also not to mention its in Russia, and Iceland will be one of the teams really used to the weather and conditions because they are quite similar in the two countries.

9. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Do you know anything about the climate in Russia? Its early Summer. Apart from the fact that Russia is a vast country with many climatic regions, Moscow tends to be pretty warm at that time of year.

Nothing like Iceland.

The climate in general should be pretty mild and I doubt any country will find much benefit from the temperatures. For one thing though its highly unlikely we'll have cold temperatures.

glennaldo_sf repped this.
  10. Nico777

Nico777 Member+

Olympique de marseille
    Croatia
    Oct 19, 2017
    Russia in summer is hot. It won't be played in siberia in winter ragazzo :))

Yes Costa Rica was really solid. But i don't see Iceland as solid as you do. I have followed their euro 2016 and i have seen Croatia playing them both in 2017 and 2013 and i don't see anything special except that they are good opportunists that will take the road if it's opened to them.

Iranian Monitor repped this.
  11. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah now that I think about it, Russia isn't as cold as I thought. I always thought of Russia as a cold country. What about Saint Petersburg though? I suppose Saint Petersburg would be colder.

12. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Well one thing they are really good at is smart play. They really know how to take advantage of mistakes and opportunities which is something many teams lack, even the big teams at times. Also good at set pieces.

13. Nico777

Nico777 Member+

Olympique de marseille
    Croatia
    Oct 19, 2017
    Saint Petersburg in summer is like end of spring early summer in italia Croatia or Spain.

It is summer there...you won't see ice or snow in russian world cup.

14. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Oh by the way we for got this:

35. Republic of Ireland

15. thedragonrik58

thedragonrik58 Member+

Los Angeles Football Club
    Mexico
    Jul 5, 2011
    Palmdale
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    No we didn't. Check post #650.

16. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Oh yeah silly me.

17. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Yes, it's colder in Saint Peteresburg, but its stil 11-20 degrees.

In general its continental climate - cold winters, but also warm, sometimes even even very warm summers.

18. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. themanlarry

themanlarry Member+

Nov 14, 2005
  20. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    33 New Zealand

21. NaBUru38

NaBUru38 Member+

Mar 8, 2016
    Las Canteras, Uruguay
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    The issue in UEFA qualifiers isn't the seeding, but having 10 groups, which is excessive.

22. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They have 9 groups not 10... I don't think it's the groups or playoff system. The problem for me has been using FIFA world rankings as the sole method of seeding, rather than performances in recent parallel competitions which is what they used before. That's why you have these silly seeds. Wales and FFS bloody Romania were seeded in in pot 1 for the WC qualifiers... two teams that haven't qualified for a WC since 1998 - the former since what 58? While France and Italy were put into the 2nd pot. Last WC cycle I remember Norway were seeded ahead of France simply because they had a higher FIFA ranking at the time of the draw.

For the world cup, some lucky teams will get Poland as their seeded opponent, while some unlucky ones will land in a group with a powerhouse seed + Spain, Uruguay, or England.

23. JLSA

JLSA Member

Nov 11, 2003
    Okay - I mean, the "before" is actually a while ago (2014 and 2010 were FIFA ranks, 2002 was ppg in last WC and EURO and 2006 doesn't say but IIRC was FIFA). But let's just say this is fair enough.

You mean, Wales, the team that finished top 4 in the most previous recent parallel competition? The thing you said was really important. But then, to top it off...

So, you want it to be based on recent results, and then claim that it is stupid that a team that just finished top four gets highly seeded, and that they shouldn't be so because of earlier results stretching back 60 years?

That's some powerful cognitive dissonance there!!!

J

24. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    UEFA doesn't actually use the FIFA Rankings. Only FIFA does, but yeah for World Cup qualification, it has always been screwed.

2018: Romania and Wales shouldn't have been seeded. Italy and France instead.
    2014: France should have been seeded and not Norway. How Norway even got there is beyond me.
    2010: England and Switzerland should have been seeded instead of Greece and Czech Republic.
    2006: Netherlands probably should have been seeded instead of Sweden.
    2002: Italy, Croatia, and Portugal should have been seeded instead of Norway, Romania, and Yugoslavia. Probably Belgium over Czech Republic as well.

FIFA Rankings are as screwed as hell. Seriously how some teams even get high is way beyond me.

Norway was never a good team at all, neither was Romania. Czech Republic went through a period where they had some great players but never really impressed or performed at a high level at the World Cup, although did do well in previous European Cups so it could be understandable.

25. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? I thought they seeded the world cup qualification groups based on the current world rankings. Wikipedia seems to confirm this:

"The seeding was based on the FIFA World Rankings of July 2015. The 52 teams were seeded into six pots:"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_(UEFA)