21 Tickets to South Korea: 2017 U-20 World Cup

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by ussoccer97531, Mar 5, 2017.

1. USSoccerNova

USSoccerNova Member+

Sep 28, 2005
    I thought he was a bit better than the general consensus around here, and chalked off some of his positioning and decision making issues to inexperience. That said, given that he was the weak link on defense, I think you have to reopen LB to some competition while also hoping that you see some improvement out of him as he gets more comfortable in the position.

I don't disagree with your broader point, but Garza's inclusion is likely more a function of the lack of quality LB options currently than indicative of BigSoccer misjudging his potential in the past.

2. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's very close to the 35 player roster I have.

As most can see, it's pretty obvious at this point. There might be 1-2 surprises, but the bulk of it is clear

3. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    He was playing with them in preseason in July-August. I'm sure if you go back and look, you'll find that I posted reports about these games then.

4. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Link?

5. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    First, I don't think Ramos will take an @SUDano approach and grab 21 players off a theoretical 'top talent' list. I think he'll start with the 20 guys he just qualified with; look at the additional players he just named (as substantial upgrades, e.g., CCV) that he would love to have; find out which of these guys are actually available*; look to swap-out players who under-performed in Costa Rica; etc. It's complicated, with a lot of moving pieces.

I have no inside info, absolutely none, and I didn't really take an interest in this group until a few weeks ago. Williamson caught my eye because he goes to Maryland - my old school - and I had seen him play. I thought he was solid in Costa Rica; I think Ramos likes him and has good reason to like/choose him. 18 field players seems like a lot until someone gets red-carded and someone else turns an ankle. When that happens, a coach is happy he selected a couple of guys who can play (almost) anywhere, and I think Williamson has some of that quality. You'll certainly get 100% effort from him, and the intangibles you look for when building a cohesive unit.

Ramos named Zelalem, so my guess is that Zelalem will go (if released). The talent is there, so I doubt Ramos will do a lot of Hamlet-esque soul-searching about how to fit him into the team.

Wiright would seem to be another obvious choice, if released, but Ramos seems less enthusiastic. Who know why?

++++++++++++++++++++

* Quoting Ramos from the Soccer America article:

"Then we have Joshua Perez, and Fiorentina has not released him much although I’ve spoken to him a lot and we’d like to have him as an option as well.

There’s a lot of things up in the air right now." {my emphasis}

6. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    SUDano and TimB4Last repped this.
  7. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I don't see the difference between me saying take the most talented squad, then you detailing how that happens.
    Of course you take substantial upgrades, then obviously you can't take who's not released, of course you swap out players who didn't perform well, and replace them with better players. Duh.

8. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    100% agree ... that you don't see the difference.

9. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Ramos also named McKennie and Jones, two other CM's. The CM numbers just aren't adding up. Jones, Zelalem, McKennie and Williamson is already four CM's. Tyler Adams played well in U-20 qualifying, and he might captain the side next cycle. I'm not sure he should start, but I think he is more likely to get a place on the team as a back up than someone like Williamson or Zelalem. Also, if Palmer-Brown is considered a CM, thats yet another CM spot thats a spot thats not up for grabs. I'm not at all trying to say Williamson or Zelalem aren't good, but all these players can't make the roster, unless Palmer-Brown goes to CB, Adams is used as a full-back, and then I guess you could have Zelalem, Jones, McKennie and Williamson as your four CM's, but most likely, at least one of these players is left off. McKennie and Jones were named in the same answer that Zelalem was. I'd take his statement to be more about the players that are in contention, not the players who will definitely be picked because the numbers don't add up that all these players will be picked.

If I was to guess, I think the hardest players to get released will be Perez, and the three Schalke players. I don't know why Zelalem wouldn't be released (if he's even picked) or Carter-Vickers wouldn't. Both their seasons should be over by then, and its not like they are really important to the teams they play for. They are both bench options right now, and in Carter-Vickers case, a lot of the time he doesn't even make the bench. I think the problem with the Schalke players getting released is that they've shown they didn't want to release players for qualifying, and the timing of the U-20 WC and the German U-19 Championship conflicts. Schalke will most likely be competing for the Championship, they have the best U-19 team in all of Germany. Can they really risk losing three of their best players and still win? I don't know if they'll deem the U-20 WC for three of their players more important than their team's chances to win the U-19 Championship. Perez should be released, but Fiorentina has been reluctant to release him so far this cycle, despite not really being a first team factor other than a few weeks.

Lookingforleftbacks and TimB4Last repped this.
  10. C-Rob

C-Rob Member

May 31, 2000
    I wonder to what extent that the reason why European teams are hesitant to release players for the qualifying tournament because of the crap that we saw against El Salvador and Honduras. It's a hell of a gamble to release players and hope they don't return in a cast or sling.

The World Cup is different in that respect, and hopefully they will be more willing to release players.

11. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    There is no difference between taking the best team, or eliminating substandard players, include upgrades, and not taking those not released.

12. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    I think this post speaks for itself.

13. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Alright Sean Spicer....

14. Trevor Fossey

Trevor Fossey Member

Feb 24, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    He still has time before he makes a decision either way - Fossey is qualified to play for either the USA or for England. He will be 'committed' when is selected to play in a competitive match for either team at senior level.

His decision still remains the same as it did when he was asked that question by Brian Sciaretta in an article in ASN, which was published 11 months ago, after the first appearance in a USA youth squad (for the u19) - and recent involvement/success in the USA u20 squads is likely to have 'strengthened' his views to commit to a future as a USA international player (if that is an option)

http://americansoccernow.com/articles/marlon-fossey-makes-a-dream-debut-for-u-s-u-19s

Extract from the article: “I do feel American, to be fair,” Fossey said. “It will be a hard decision when I have to choose. I guess it will come down to where I feel most valued. I don’t want to be on a team that doesn’t really use me that much. When I was with the USA, they valued me. I felt wanted there. It was a good first experience with the USA.”

15. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for posting, it looks we have a more than 50% chance.

16. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #141 bshredder, Mar 10, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
    But there is a little twist to this now.

Since he has played for the United States in an official youth competition, his pathway towards England is now limited.

Obviously a senior national team appearance cap-ties him to either country. But the only way for him now (by virture of his appearance in an U-20 WC qualifier) to play for an English youth national team in an official competition (Euro U-19, U-21 qualifiers or finals) is to file a one-time switch with FIFA. At that point, he would be tied to the England even if it is not for the senior national team.

He can still play for England but unless it is just for a friendly, he can't come back to the United States. If England calls, he better be sure he wants to leave the U.S. program for good. His ability to "play the field" is significantly limited now.

17. Trevor Fossey

Trevor Fossey Member

Feb 24, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    #142 Trevor Fossey, Mar 11, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
    Fulham give DLT & Fossey a chance to talk about their experience in Costa Rica, on the main website of Fulham FC
    http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/march/10/costa-rican-gold

18. Trevor Fossey

Trevor Fossey Member

Feb 24, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  19. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    This is kind of a random question but has anyone else noticed how every time Fossey falls his body doesn't touch the ground? He just does some absurd roll or something and is immediately back on his feet. Me and a pal were watching him in the final and were absolutely perplexed by it. No one else has ever really talked about it here but it's just crazy.

20. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    I absolutely noticed and at once thought Judo training (or combat roll). I now know thanks to @Trevor Fossey it comes from being a near olympic caliber gymnast.

21. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Give credit to his gymnastic background.

Brotheryoungbuck repped this.
  22. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Typically, at this point the writing is on the wall. He's part of the YNT, he has been scouted and taken notice of. There is an expectation and a pathway for him to the full NT. AFAICT, England have expressed no interest in him.

23. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thats a great ASN article with lots of insight into the U20WC. Thanks @bshredder

bshredder repped this.
  24. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What was the quote? "Gymnasts know how to fall down"?

25. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    You would hope so considering the heights they reach.
    I do know that one of the greatest services my parents did for me was putting in Judo at seven when I begged for Karate. The first thing that is taught is how to break your fall. In a relatively action filled life, I can truly say I have never been hurt in a fall.

butters59 and Winoman repped this.