2022 World Cup - Team/Squad Prediction

Discussion in 'England' started by Marcho Gamgee, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Yeah I absolutely couldn't make up my mind, intended on doing 2 per position for 22 and then got sidetracked a bit :D For what it's worth, they are in order of priority, so you can assume the first names listed to comprise a nominal starting eleven.

I grouped those other six U17s and U16s together just because I think they're a longer way off right now and as such their fortunes could conceivably vary much more than those who've established themselves a bit more. It's one thing impressing at that level, but another altogether in how they bridge the gap into men's football. I suspect if we'd have done this exercise a few years ago Brandon Barker would've been in there as he was City's hot next thing at the time, but such has been his progress since (not terrible progress I might add) that suddenly we've moved on from him.

2. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Perhaps you're talking about a time before I was reading this forum, but since I've been here I think there have always been widely differing opinions on Barker's merits.

By the way, did you deliberately leave out Pickford, Alexander-Arnold, Tom Davies, Will Hughes...? I know you had to leave out someone.

3. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I can't say Brandon Barker would be my example of that. I've not seen him in quite some time but I was very critical of him well before he went out on loan.

4. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Left out Pickford because I don't think he's nearly as good as is made out, same for Davies (a very willing and capable runner but loads left to prove technically). Hughes has played five seasons now (four plus one injured) without getting out of the Championship and I think that or lower Prem might be his peak, and I had no real reason for omitting TAA other than wanting to mention other right-backs. I like him, think he could be a really good option, but I like Kenny and James a bit more.

5. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    How's this for a cracking future England player prediction: Liverpool's attacking midfielder Curtis Jones - he'll be 21 in 2022. He's a clever, sharp witted player with great skill and touch who can weight his passes, as well as direct them accurately. Good dribbler, scores goals and good stamina to get back and forward as necessary. Unusually, he seems comfortable kicking the ball with either foot, as he sees fit. English players with all these qualities are, of course, in very short supply. But he does look flat footed and splay footed - which I find a little off putting.

6. Manchester21

Manchester21 Member

Manchester City
    England
    Jun 17, 2017
    Pickford
    Kenny
    Stones
    Holding
    Chillwell
    Doyle
    Loftus-Cheek
    Foden
    Roberts
    Sancho
    Kane
    ( 4- 2 - 3 -1 )
    im a bit biased though, being a city fan :)

Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  7. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    4-2-3-1

GK: Pickford
    RB: Alexander-Arnold
    CB: Stones
    CB: Oxford
    LB: Sesegnon
    CM: Oakley-Booth
    CM: Onomah
    RW: Roberts
    CAM: Sancho
    RW: Rashford
    ST: Kane

4-3-3

GK: Pickford
    RB: Alexander-Arnold
    CB: Stones
    CB: Oxford
    LB: Sesegnon
    RCM: Davies
    CM: Oakley-Booth
    LCM: Hughes
    RW: Roberts
    ST: Kane
    LW: Sancho

8. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    The predictions that aim young are invariably miles off the mark.

9. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Well I have no faith whatsoever in my ability to predict this, but since everybody else has had a go:

GK Jack Butland (29)
    RB Dujon Sterling (23)
    CB Phil Jones (30)
    CB Joe Gomez (25)
    LB Luke Shaw (27)
    CM Eric Dier (28)
    CM Jack Wilshere (30)
    AM Angel Gomes (22)
    RW Raheem Sterling (27)
    LW Jadon Sancho (22)
    ST Harry Kane (29)

Ages on 1 November 2022, since moving the tournament away from the summer has been heavily mooted.

Yes, Phil Jones. And Wilshere, and Shaw, and Gomez. The odds of them all being fit at the same time currently look about a billion to one, but I don't really care because any team that I might pick instead isn't going to be right anyway - I like them all and I hope they're in the team in 2022. I feel a bit sad about leaving Patrick Roberts out but I can't really justify backing him ahead of Sterling or Sancho, and Ross Barkley could be our best player, completely out of the picture, or anything in between. It also seems wrong not to have anyone older than 30, but I can't bring myself to predict that Jordan Henderson will be in the England team for the whole of the next five years, and Hart and Clyne are really the only other ones I've seriously considered. Eric Dier is there because I can honestly see that happening, but it may be a slightly reactionary response on my part because the current criticism of him seems so over-the-top.

10. zanyk

zanyk Member

Mar 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    As usual not expect to get anyone right etc. 2022 is too far away.

GK Jack Butland (29)
    RB Dujon Sterling (23)
    CB Axel Tuanzebe (25)
    CB Tomori (25)
    LB Ryan Sessegnon (22)
    DM Eric Dier (28)
    CM Lewis Cook (25)
    AM Angel Gomes (22)
    RW Raheem Sterling (27)
    LW Marcus Rashford (25)
    ST Harry Kane (29)

Subs: Woodman (25), Alexander-Arnord (25), Tom Davies (24), Patrick Roberts (25), Tashan Oakley-Boothe (22), Reiss Nelson (24), Michael Keane (29), Jadon Sancho (22), Joe Gomez (25), Ben Chillwell (26), Tammy Abraham (25), someone 18ish like Shola Shoretire or Karamoko Dembele or whoever.

11. David Brooks

David Brooks Member

Jun 23, 2017
    No one has mentioned Crowley - have we completely lost faith in him? I think a year ago many would have had him as a starter at No.10. I don't see mention of Mason Mount either, and not much of Marcus Edwards. Surely the odds have to be that at least one of these truly talented playmakers have to come through? Gomes is of course another option.
    Anyway, with that optimism in place, here's my attempt:,starters listed first

Butland, Pickford, Woodman
    Walker-Peters, Arnold-Alexander
    Da Silva, Sessegnon
    Jones, Keane
    Stones, Oxford
    Dier, Chalobah
    Ali, Onomah
    Crowley, Mount
    Roberts, Edwards
    Kane, Abraham,
    Sterling, Sancho

12. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Redmond or gray? Holding? Rlc? Welbeck?

13. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Crowley is an odd one, seems to have been left out of the system for some time now for whatever reason I'm not sure, maybe form or maybe a lack of commitment to England as seen him being linked to a switch to Ireland sometime back however everything seems quiet now so guessing he's still committed to England?

14. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hes supossed to be a twat hence his previous loan terminated

Plus he's a midget

Doubt he makes it

15. kent paul

kent paul Member

Jan 2, 2004
    england
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think Gray has a lot more potential than Redmond, and I can see Holding and RLC being major players if they start getting regular first team football especially the latter, as for Welbeck i think he might miss out if everybody is fit and available.

16. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Holding is a starting cb next year for arsenal if Wenger keeps 3 atb

17. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    RLC's apparent apathy is disappointing. There are surely loads of clubs that would give him game time, even in the Premier League.

18. kent paul

kent paul Member

Jan 2, 2004
    england
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The fact that Chelsea would rather buy Bakayoko and put him in the team a head of RLC tells you all you need to know, because his lack of progression as a footballer compared to say Dele Alli over the last few seasons has been a major disappointment. And it makes me question how much does he really want it, because if he is still at Chelsea when the season starts instead of being out on loan at another Premier league team, then questions really do need to be asked about whether he has the desire to make it to the very top IMO.

19. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    Is RLC apathetic? I've had the impression from the papers that he has wanted to go out on loan but Chelsea have repeatedly chosen to keep him in house. This is from November 2015:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...January-loan-teenager-t-break-Chelsea-XI.html

Chelsea have treated him badly, either because they've need an extra home grown option around the squad or because they've been trying and failing to turn him into their next John Terry in house.

20. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    It's a few years, I think, since a lot of people on here started howling if I pointed out he'd had a quiet and ineffectual performance. Even though they hadn't seen the game themselves. Some were still holding out hope he'd hit the big time, until recently it seems.

As regards his attitude, does anyone recall that photo of him shaking hands with the then England manager, Roy Hodgson? As he shock his hand he was looking the other way - Gordon Brown style.

21. David Brooks

David Brooks Member

Jun 23, 2017
    I still hold out hope for him. Of all the no 10s coming through he seems to have a slight edge - in talent at least. He's got more pace than Mount for example. His attitude is certainly questionable, but then money and hype and moving from city to city will get to most teenagers. Hopefully he will grow up. Talking of which, he has grown up in a physical sense and is no longer a midget. He's 5'9 which is plenty big enough for his position.

22. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I doubt Crowley has more pace than Mount, who is quicker than some might think. I doubt he's 5ft 9, as well.

23. itfcjoe

itfcjoe Member+

Oct 8, 2014
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Some people still do, especially with regards to that oxford spell where he got sent back.

The lower leagues are tough, but these boys have to get down their and take their chances and have the right mentality if they want to succeed long term