2022 WC Roster Prediction

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by TarHeels17, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Don't know why you think Wright has a "bad' character. I certainly never said that.

2. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, more predictions from the media.

Galarcep-
    http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/proj...t-the-2022-world-cup/i45gj14ps0q1r7e2y0vr2nqw

GK: Steffen, Hamid, Klinsmann
    FB: Yedlin, A. Robinson, Cannon, Toljan (obviously, Toljan almost certainly will never be eligible for the US let alone want to play for them over Croatia)
    CB: Brooks, Miazga, CCV, EPB
    CM/DM: McKennie, Adams, K. Acosta, Roldan
    Wide/AM: Pulisic, Saief, Amon, Arriola
    FW: Wood, Sargent, Weah, Altidore

McIntyre-
    https://sports.yahoo.com/23-22-predicting-next-usmnt-world-cup-roster-162933510.html

GK: Steffen, Guzan, Turner
    FB: Yedlin, A. Robinson, Cannon, Lindsey
    CB: Brooks, Miazga, EPB, CCV
    CM/DM: McKennie, Adams, K. Acosta
    Wide/AM: Pulisic, Saief, Arriola, Weah, Amon
    FW: Wood, Altidore, Sargent, Morris (lol)

Doyle-
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/07/18/world-cup-predicting-2022-usmnt-roster-armchair-analyst
    GK: Steffen, Melia, Gonzalez
    FB: Adams, D. Acosta, Yedlin, A. Robinson
    CB: Miazga, Brooks, Parker, Palmer-Brown
    CM/DM: McKennie, Parks, Roldan, Durkin, Arriola
    Wide/AM: Pulisic, Carleton, Lletget, Weah, Lewis
    FW: Sargent, Altidore

TarHeels17, Winoman and thedukeofsoccer repped this.
  3. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's the issue with including Morris? He has been helpful to the U.S. so far, has improved at his weaknesses but just hasn't put together, and he's injured but has the power/explosive style + attitude to overcome it.

Actually exclusion of Morris or Wood would be my biggest critique of Doyle's list. They are both decent bets and he's got 2 fw's only. That, and I think Melia being an outlier, but we're talking 3rd keeper. Overall I think his is the best. Like the Lewis shout now. I had temporarily forgotten about him. Would add him to my list if it were updated. Might put it as Morris/Wood and Lewis, or take off Lletget for him.

What I'd most scoff at in McIntyre's is the inclusion of Kellyn Acosta. What's giving some faith there?

Think people are sleeping on Novakovich too much when he has high potential, seemingly a good attitude, and the guy has produced at his levels the last couple of years.

4. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doyle's list, in my opinion, is the clearest I've ever noticed that he has a legit current-MLS-player quota when he writes about the national team. Either that or he just watches too much MLS. It's not that any of his MLS picks are egregious, it's just that whenever he has any decision between a current MLS guy and one that's not, he'll choose the MLS guy every time.

I can't believe all three guys chose Paul frickin' Arriola, though. It's not that I blame them, it's that they almost had to if they wanted to choose 4 wingers who have played a first team game. That's pretty crazy, and shows how much the missing generations hurt our pool.

I do love that these predictions will all be viewable, though. 2022 will be a fun time to grade all of these reporters (as well as all of you).

5. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think he has the best of the lists. Not that I think any of them are particularly good, but the other two lists both don't include Parks, Carleton, Durkin, Acosta. Those are some pretty big omissions. And he's the only one who has Adams listed at full-back. I get the sense he has the best understanding of the player pool of those three.

6. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    If you look at Doyle's previous list (for 2018) you'll see it is way off.
    Acosta isn't going to Qatar. Nor is Bobby Wood. Brooks will be injured and Parker will go in his stead. Amon is another Gyau, Romaine Gall, etc. None of them are going. It's great that they can add a little speed to make up for lack of skill in lower tiers but nobody cares at AAA level. Speed by itself doesn't hack it. Lewis is a maybe but I doubt it.

as things stand I'd go

----------------------------sargent/jozy
    ------------------Wes/Carleton---------weah/pulisic
    ----Adams/Booth---------------------------------------------Gressel/lletget-
    --------------------------------------------Delgado/Parks
    -----------------------------trapp/durkin
    ------robinson/parker---brooks---miazga/epb-----Yedlin
    ----------------------gk's: Steffen/Guzan/?

7. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    They are all way off. Impossible to predict. I don't disagree with you about K. Acosta, Wood, Brooks (although he's good enough to make the team), but I think Doyle has the best list and best understanding of the player pool (and football) among those three journalists. I think he usually puts out some of the better opinions among US football journalists.

Amon, its hard to say. I think he has reasonably good end-product. He's mostly a speedy winger, but I don't think his passing or football IQ is going to hold him back. How good of a 1v1 speed option will he be and can he run by enough defenders to score goals consistently? He's done well so far early on in his pro career, but has been injured for the whole year now.

8. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    We put these 'speed options' out there to run by El Salvador then they come up against Ghana Portugal and Germany in group and Belgium in r 16 and what does speed get us...…….…..let's all agree to get some skill on the pitch and forget the teen-bop ticket seller in this cycle. We won't, but I try...….Jones to Dempsey, Zusi to Dempsey, Jones from yard, Brooks with the header, Zusi with the corner kick...……….where is the speed exactly? In your dreams.

9. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I advocate for skill probably more than anyone here. Skill is what wins football. Germany won the WC four years ago because their skill 1-11 at all the different positions (the important skills that each position requires) was better than everyone else. France won the WC this year because their skill 1-11 at all the different positions was better than everyone else. I don't care about "grit" or "intangibles" or "NT experience" (as long as we aren't throwing pure pet-projects out there), if that player doesn't also have skill for their position.

But lets not just discard anyone whose fast. Pulisic's best footballing attribute is his speed. He's one of the fastest wingers in the world, not as great with end product, creativity, passing. He's struggled some against teams that shut down his speed. Should we discard him? No, of course not. I think we'll have to let Amon play prove whether he can contribute goals/assists or if he'll only contribute dribbles with the ball. He's relatively young (19). I wouldn't discard him yet.

10. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    "pulisic's best football attribute is his speed" - um....no...his best attribute is putting the ball in the back of the net. Pulisic isn't beating anbody in the WC quarterfinals with his speed. He has to learn when to let go of the ball and when he does he will be a great player instead of just a good one. Speak of the devil, as far as 'letting go of the ball" is concerned, I'm just watching replay of Rbulls/Kcity and Adams just let go of a cross that went for a goal and it was such a beautiful ball, coming out of a right wing position just to the right of the 6m box. back to the top of the box for the shot on goal score 2-2. The faster he lets go of his Ngolo Kante fantasy, the better it will be for him and USMNT, agree? He doesn't have the vision to play the 6.

p.s. edit: shortly after the Adams assist, Adams sends the ball to Sean Davis who passes the ball to the Rat)kokwski) who scores. We don't praise Sean Davis enough.

11. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    #61 Excellency, Jul 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
    Just noticed this - again. Like I said to you before, character isn't a "moral" issue. It is something we are all born with. Agudelo has a certain character. Ronaldo has a certain character. For all I know, Agudelo could be a saint and Ronaldo could be a devil. I'm just referring to soccer character, not moral character. I hope you understand that but I don't think you do. You spend a lot of time looking at youth teams which is fine because I think that is where our future senior players will come from with the exceptions here and there. Don't you get he feeling that the character of most players stays the same, like Tommy Thompson, say, Or Hyndman or Zelalem or Miazga/CCV/Steffen/Delgado. Sure, we see a guy like Rubin who seemed destined for something special and he flamed out. Or Arriola who looked pretty good and couldn't get anywhere on the wing and suddenly he is producing for DC centrally - could have fooled me. But mainly we see guys who continue within character and it isn't about good or bad morals, it's just about being a certain type of player with certain drawbacks and certain good points and for the most part what we see is that players often don't get out of that cage.

I watched Hadji Wright and Pulisic at the u17's and, yeah, it was easy to see which one was headed for greatness and which would end up in the garbage can and I said so at the time. I thought Pulisic and Nelsen were the good players and the rest were garbage; I don't know why Nelsen didn't get anywhere. He was pretty good.

P.s. edit: Did a quick google search on Nelson (correct spelling) and I see he is first team top drawer soccer xi freshman team playing at North Carolina.
    https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/col...17-mens-division-i-postseason-awards_aid43574

12. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    You actually responded to me about this earlier in the week. You have your opinion. Fair enough. I just think the type of thing you are speaking of leads to putting less than the best team on the field (i.e. leaving Chandler off because of unfounded speculation about his NT commitment).

13. Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jul 8, 2017
    Acosta needs to get back on track but I wouldn't write him off. He's still young and his versatility and dead ball ability can both be very useful on a tournament roster.

14. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that he's probably the most *knowledgable* (Parks in there, shows a little bit of hate to Atlanta about Carleton, etc) but a lot of his roster choices make me think he's being told he has to include a certain number of players. I think his actual opinion is different from his article.

15. Sombrerito

Sombrerito Member

Arsenal
    United States
    May 6, 2018
    It'll be interesting if he can get back to the rhythm that made him a hot usmnt prospect. I suspect that he will now that he can play pain free after having the surgery for his sports hernia.

16. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Acosta was Adams before the injury and loss of form. What I'm referring to is the media hype.

17. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Acosta was obviously in pain the last game and was seen holding his groin area. I suspect he's having scar tissue issues so once those are gone he should be ok. He used to be able to cover an amazing amount of ground and make gut busting sprints late in games after everyone else was gassed. That hasn't been seen lately but should return. He does have the ability to hit crosses with either foot with swerve. Don't think there's many in the pool who can do that.

18. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    GK: Steffen, Horvath, Hamid
    CB: Brooks, Miazga, EPB, CCV
    FB: Yedlin, Robinson, Cannon, Saeif
    CM: McKennie, Adams, Hyndman, Parks, Durkin
    W/AM: Pulisic, Weah, Carleton, Reyna, Amon
    ST: Sargent, Siebatcheau

System: while I'd like a 3-5-2 or 3-4-3 in the near term I see a 4-2-3-1/4-3-3/4-1-4-1 being slightly more likely if enough guys in the front 6 come through.

"Reaches":
    Saeif: used more often as a WB/W but will have a lot of experience, still be in his prime, and is versatile.
    Reyna: I'm not super high on him as a #10 because of his decision making but it looks like he is going to be athletic enough to play all the attacking positions (and get early playing time) and I expect him to have 4 years of training at a good team because of an EU passport.
    Amon: I suspect we'll need a speed option and he looks to be on a good path with playing time. Of all the guys mentioned I've probably seen him play the least (beyond highlights) so that's a solid reason for uncertainty.

Cuts:
    GK: Guzan, Bono, Las
    CB: Parker, Zimmerman, Long, Glad
    FB: Acosta, Moore, Scally, Bello
    CM: Acosta, Roldan, Booth, Ledezma, Mendez
    W/AM: De la Fuente, Akale, Perez, Taitague, Green
    ST: Wood, Novakovich

beamish and Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  19. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ChuckMe92 repped this.
  20. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    GK: Steffen is #1. A coach with a WC newbie will almost certainly bring a vet -Guzan. Third will be another young one ... maybe JKlinsmann or Bono.

CD: Seems like the most set position. Miazga, Brooks, Carter-Vickers. EPB for the fourth.

DM: This could get tricky. With 2 such similar players in Weston and Adams, it's possible one gets left home to make room for a different skill set or veteran leadership. Need a passer. Durkin or Trapp or Parks. Then a vet for a young midfield. Williams.

Kellyn Acosta MF slot: Acosta can play 5 or 6 positions, specializes on dead balls and lets us bring an extra midfielder.

AM: think about our needs here:

2 starters plus a third that could. so your three best
    A left footer.
    a guy who could start in the center and let Pulisic play wing.
    an elite speed guy.
    a free kick taker.
    a bench player to cover center and wing.
    a lockdown wing defender.

So Pulisic, period.

i'm going with Pulisic, Mihailovic, Picault, a lefty, plus Acosta. Without going into it, I think that covers most of it.

F:
    taking 4: the first 2 come from the young prospects. Weah and Sargent. the third is a veteran guy who can scrap for a goal. Zardes vs. Wood, basically. I've got to have a guy who can score with his head. So Zardes. Plus, he also could be the lockdown winger, I think. the fourth is Wood vs. young guys. Hopefully young guy.

22. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like where you are going with this. My only issue is with Acosta. I don't believe the guy is smart enough to play at this level, a year ago he was called TWICE for grabbing inside the box resulting in giving a penalty. . So what do you think he did last weekend? he grabbed a player inside the box, this time he wasn't called.

23. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    GK: Steffen, Hamid, Las
    DF: Cannon, Scally, Brooks, Miazga, Palmer-Brown, Richards, D. Acosta, A. Robinson
    MF: Durkin, Araujo, McKennie, Nyeman, Pulisic, Carleton, de la Fuente, Pomykal, Amon
    FW: Soto, Weah, Ocampo-Chavez

Steffen
    Cannon-Palmer Brown-Brooks-Acosta
    Durkin
    Nyeman-Carleton
    Pulisic-Soto-Amon

Club situations influence a lot of this. I wanted to include Bello, but I think Atlanta will put him behind the eight ball. Same with Akanyirige at SJ. Booth would've been here, if he was at RSL. Don't think the Bayern path will see him playing pro games all too early. de la Fuente could run into issues here, although I'll list him for now. Richards, Pomykal, Carleton, Scally all could also run into issues with this, although I think they are far enough along at their club teams that they won't. They are dealing with these issues now. I don't think it'll be the same in four years.

This is a young team, but I don't care. I don't see the point in predicting that Bobby Wood or Paul Arriola will make the WC team. They are bad footballers comparatively to what the best teams put out. If we are still using players like that in four years, the improvements fans thought would come didn't come. I'm not going to have that type of negative mindset about the future of the NT.

ChuckMe92, Winoman and Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  24. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018
    I like your thinking here and that is a bold prediction doing away with the old guard and brining in the new kids. of the ones you listed I think Carlton and Pomykal will have a problem being there unless they get their club situation fixed, which hopefully they do over the next four years. I put Yedlin in there at right back and add Adams to the midfield. See Nyeman and Ocampo-Chavez as needing some seasoning as well. But definitely a much more exciting roster to opine on than the usual suspects.

Winoman repped this.
  25. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Feel a bit odd about the one I selected, as I was perhaps scanning more for talents instead of a necessarily well-organized roster with all roles filled, but nonetheless:
    Steffen, Horvath, Gonzalez
    Brooks, Miazga, Yedlin, Robinson, CCV, EPB, Dest, Bello
    Adams, McKennie, Parks, Ledezma
    Pulisic, Amon, de la Fuente, Gall
    Weah, Sargent, Nova, Sabbi
    Of course, there is a long list of young players/prospects I like not listed here who I'd have no problem with including.

Eighteen Alpha repped this.