2020 US Open Cup

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by kgilbert78, Dec 19, 2019.

1. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Info on the US Open Cup rules and formats were recently posted on the Crew's website

https://www.columbuscrewsc.com/post...-open-cup-provide-more-david-vs-goliath-match

Lots more games will be possible for MLS sides vs lower level side. Under the new rules, we should start play in the third round, I would expect.

On a personal note, I was pleased to see that a side from my home town, Vereinigung Erzgebirge, has qualified for the First Round. As I recall, they once won the US O-30 cup....

MLSinCleveland repped this.
  2. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you sure lots more games will be possible for MLS v. lower divisions? With MLS entering in two separate rounds, there's a possibility that it'll be more MLS v. MLS in those rounds.

3. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To quote from the website:

4. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, 11 teams enter in the 3rd round. Is that more MLS v. lower division than we have seen previously? Then, those winners will have to play against 12 MLS teams in the next round.

Just because it's stated that way, doesn't mean it's true. It's not hard to see that it's highly stacked for MLS to win the matchups and play each other.

5. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seeding...

6. CBusAlex

CBusAlex Member

Jun 17, 2011
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In 2019, all 21 MLS clubs entered in the fourth round, facing 11 lower division sides. With the addition of Miami and Nashville, there would have been 23 MLS clubs against only 9 lower division clubs in the fourth round if they kept the same format. So the 11 MLS vs lower division matches in the third round is already more than would have happened previously, even if all the MLS teams win. Plus there will still be a minimum of 9 lower division teams in the fourth round, and (although seeding is generally done geographically) it's a good bet many of those will be matched up against MLS clubs in that round too.

ThePonchat and LaMacchia repped this.
  7. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #7 Kryptonite, Dec 19, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
    The Aug 11-12 semifinals or final won't happen if we make it that far, as we currently have a game at NYC on August 12...but we won't because we'll lose by two in Chicago, unless they play in Bridgeview because some MLS teams don't necessarily like to play USOC games in their regular stadiums. But watch them switch it to Bridgeview two days before.

8. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Crew have been advertising free USOC matches for season ticket holders so that implies we'll bid for as many as we can get.

9. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought they did away with bidding, and that the host was based on a coin toss?

TrueCrew and MLSinCleveland repped this.
  10. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    for the most part, it's a coin flip these days
    (except for a small handful of amateur teams in the first round probably)

11. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    I think it's a toss of teams that want to host. Some clubs don't want to open the stadium for a home USOC match.

TrueCrew and MLSinCleveland repped this.
  12. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    But there's nothing stopping us from paying a low level team $25K not to participate in a coin flip with us.

13. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yep, some clubs don't

I'm glad the Crew seem to be one of the clubs willing to play home games at their main stadium. Most teams played at their primary stadium last year. (Understandable when a team like NYC does it, since Yankee Stadium is usually busy for other games, but not so much when a team like Dallas or NYRB does it.)

14. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wouldn’t USSF go with the highest bidder (because $) rather than flip between two clubs that want to host?

15. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    They used to do that. They went to the coin flip, probably because of complaints from minor league sides. It's a big deal for them to get an MLS side to come to their home field.

16. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

As much as I like going there for a game, those games at Jesse Owens (especially the one vs Dallas) were fun.

TrueCrew repped this.
  17. Crewster

Crewster Member+

Jan 28, 2005
    Worthington
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The stands at Jesse Owens are too far away from the field because of the track.

18. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the new rules for this year have been published, and it will be different this year:
    https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/20...ams-confirmed-for-2020-lamar-hunt-us-open-cup

as it relates to the Crew...

In the 3rd round, the 40 teams will be pooled into pods with at least 1 MLS team in each of them. However, since NY, NY, NE, DC, and Philly all get to skip the 3rd round, there's a decent chance a team like the Crew could find themselves grouped with 3 teams from New Jersey or Connecticut or Virginia or wherever. A Crew/Indy game could still happen in this round, as the lower league midwest teams will have to be grouped with somebody from the likes of Crew/Cincy/Nashville/Chicago/KC, but most of those midwest MLS teams are going to have to look elsewhere to fill out their pods of teams.

In the 4th round, the 32 teams will be split into 8 groups of 4, with the top 12 MLS teams entering this round not allowed to play each other. Theoretically, a Crew/Cincy or even Crew/Indy game could still happen in this round, but just by simple math, 12 of the 16 games in this round will be the top 12 MLS teams playing 3rd round winners. So if we make it through the 3rd round, there's a better chance of us playing Philly or New England or New York than playing Cincy. (In the round of 32.)

On the plus side, that means we could see some new opponents in the USOC. I know some fans out west like to gripe about too many Seattle/Portland games in the cup (or RSL/Colorado, or Houston/Dallas, etc), so this format might mix up the opponents a little.

They're also waiting to make the draw for the 3rd round until the 2nd round is complete, which is a good thing. (Usually. Though this year, with all those east coast MLS teams getting a bye, the 3rd round matchups are going to be a geographic crapshoot anyways.)

19. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    US Soccer has announced the matchups for the first 2 rounds of the cup:
    https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2020/01/2020-us-open-cup-second-round-pairings-and-host-scenarios

Detroit, Indy, Louisville, and Pittsburgh are all hosting second round games on April 7th or 8th.

The Crew won't find out who we could even play until after the 2nd round is complete. It won't necessarily be a team from one of those 4 games.

In the first round on March 25th, Cleveland SC travels to take on another amateur team down in Nashville. (Winner gets the unenviable task of going to Louisville in the second round, who have been very good in the USOC the last few years, beating multiple teams from leagues above theirs.)

Tobias C and MLSinCleveland repped this.
  20. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dang! Was hoping for a home match for Cleveland.

21. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Double Dang--if VE wins in the first round, they would be playing in Pittsburgh. Too bad it's a Tuesday. But I expect West Chester to win.

22. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *checks Wikipedia*
    Huh.
    Cleveland has a team in the NPSL (4th division). Plays at Baldwin-Wallace’s stadium. I did not know that.

TrueCrew, MLSinCleveland and Tobias C repped this.
  23. DGA57v2

DGA57v2 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Apr 1, 2019
    How the hell did Austin Bold end in the Northeast Region? :eek:

24. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What it would have looked like, per the US Soccer website:

July 14-15 Quarterfinals or Semifinals
    Aug. 11-12 Semifinals or Final
    Sept. 22-24 Possible Final

In proof of how much US Soccer cares about their tournament, I have yet to see anything about it being canceled due to the pandemic.

25. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States