2020 Preseason Catch-All Thread

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by JasonMa, Jan 18, 2020.

1. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yet last year we cut Gashi because we couldn't find one without paying a premium for it.

2. 2nd Mouse

2nd Mouse Member+

Apr 11, 2012
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty sure we've got a couple lying around here we don't know what to do with. Give us a shout.

[​IMG]

Paranoid Coyote and JasonMa repped this.
  3. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Permanently? :devilish:

4. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny, I thought the story per AH was he was a "cancer and didn't play well with others".

or now "We ate $1.7M for lack of an international slot"...

Neither of these reflect well on the FO.

5. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it was "why throw good money (for an international spot) after bad (Gashi). Cut him since he's not going to play much anyway"

Rod1916 repped this.
  6. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stuart95, fortcollins, COMtnGuy and 5 others repped this.
  7. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Several of them would require the Rapids to go get an international slot which depending on your point of view, lower their chances of making team unless loaned to USL.

I don't see Rapids signing Rodriguez yet, keepers take longer to develop.

JasonMa repped this.
  8. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct, which is why I thought Alarcon makes the team with a season long loan to the Springs and Lopez is less likely to make it. I wasn't sure if Poku had his green card or not but I think that would weigh heavily in his chances of making the team. (The rest are all Americans/green card holders I believe).

So who's going to be our 3rd GK then?

9. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Robin Afamefuna is German. Doesn't matter who is the 3rd GK, I am predicting it will not be Rodriguez.

10. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the MLS CBA expiring in 9 days, it has been awful quiet on whats going on with it.

Rod1916 and Andy126 repped this.
  11. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, you are correct, I confused his background with Kelly's (who is also European, but has lived here since childhood and most likely has citizenship/green card).

I think its unlikely we trade for an existing MLS GK and without having another one in camp the most likely situation is for Rodriguez to take the spot IMO. Remember, he's already on a professional contract and we haven't needed to use our 3rd keeper in a competitive game in years. So having him as a Rapids HG signing instead of a Springs signing while still playing in the Springs is only a matter of which name is at the top of his paycheck.

Andy126 repped this.
  12. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are some quotes out there. Both sides seem to be generally open to the further discussions and there's no threat to any games for another 3 weeks after expiration (the first CCL matches). There's some talk about allowing those games to go on under the current deal if negotiations are still going well. I'm not going to worry until Feb. 22nd or the players take a strike vote.

13. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    Don't know if this article has already been mentioned here, or if anyone has a subscription (which I recommend! they also have a 40% sale right now, and the overall content is fantastic), but this is a great insight into what Robin is looking to do as coach in terms of tactics:

https://theathletic.com/1517081/202...cal-approach-for-the-colorado-rapids-in-2020/

A couple of highlights I liked:

In regards to last year:
    In regards to what formation we probably will be using:
    ^This was said before the signings Namli and Benezet, but I don't think those arrivals change anything as Fraser already had them on the radar.

I don't want to give away too much from the article because it is paid content (it really was a great read) but he also talked about tactical flexibility. He mentioned how there are a lot of coaches who like to have a rigid system and make the players fit into that system regardless of their strengths, and that he wants to build a system that follows his ideas but also fits the personnel.

He also goes into detail about on field tactics, how players should read the game, what his ideas on counterpressing or defensive blocks look like, what they will be working on tactically in training, etc.

Really nicely done article, and a great read.

14. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
  15. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    COMtnGuy repped this.
  16. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Maybe just kicking the can to next year since as a "prove we can win" kind of thing.

JasonMa and COMtnGuy repped this.
  17. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another suggestion I saw was that it might be related to the Altitude issues. Sign for one year knowing the team may not have a lot of Denver TV time this season, come back next year when Altitude will either be on every system or likely in a long-term plan of not being on every system.

Rod1916 repped this.
  18. Sal Paradise

Sal Paradise BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 14, 2009
    Club:
    Jaguares de Chiapas FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. Maarten van 242

Jan 20, 2012
    Club:
    Lille OSC
    Don't get your hopes up. The minute the TransAmerica brass in CO realize they will no longer get to play multiple scrimmage games with the likes of Tim Howard (as they did in the past few years), they'll yank their sponsorship quicker than you can say, "life insurance". ;)

TheWarmBurger and COMtnGuy repped this.
  20. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    I think it was mentioned in another thread (Off-season catch-all). But regardless, I agree that it's an interesting read for a lot of reasons (I got a subscription to read it).

Fraser's flexibility in terms of formation is encouraging. Given what we saw in his brief time in charge, I think he won't hesitate to change formations from one week what he believes to give the team a good shot at winning. IIRC, he used a 3-5-2 once or twice last season and I wouldn't be surprised to see him do it again.

Andy126, COMtnGuy and JasonMa repped this.
  21. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    TheWarmBurger repped this.
  22. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
  24. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    This guy....

Trys to cover that up with:

All I can say about Hudson now, is that he matches Gregg Berhalter's mentality of coaching....'I'm going to play my system regardless of the players I have. And I will hold that system to the death of either my career, or the team - or I'll find success. Whichever comes first.'

Should we call that press conference 'Hudsons Last Stand'?

fortcollins, Rod1916, COMtnGuy and 3 others repped this.
  25. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SccrDon, fortcollins and COMtnGuy repped this.