2020 Olympic Qualifying Team

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by AutoPenalti, Mar 29, 2016.

1. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    Woof. Kreis ain’t it.

Thundering165, bballshawn and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  2. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    #1102 Thundering165, Oct 18, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
    Kreis is not it to be sure, but to be honest any coach at this stage who can give simple instructions to our players and get out of the way looks like an upgrade.

If you speak Spanish, I found this video of El Salvadorian TV discussing the game interesting (fast forward to 8:45):

Suffice to say they are not pleased with losing to the USA 6-1. They are also very concerned about attracting Salvadorian talent born in the USA. It's like a miniature BigSoccer on TV!

EDIT: Can any native speaker explain what pildorita means? It's used just after the 14:00 mark.

It's fascinating to me that a closed door scrimmage gets TV time and major discussion in El Salvador, while in the USA only the lunatics on this board have any idea it even happened. You'll know we've made it as a soccer nation when Skip Bayless and Stephen A Smith or their equivalent are yelling at each other about a U23 scrimmage that no one even saw.

Zamphyr, Peretz48, gogorath and 5 others repped this.
  3. Soccerfan12435

Apr 22, 2019
    United States
    I think he just is trying to say something similar to "tidbit" or " little thing of note"

Thundering165 repped this.
  4. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    In case people don't know what Johnny looks like :)

1184221857525972993 is not a valid tweet id

5. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Ok so the entire interview doesn't revolve around the U-23 friendly against USA.. actually tbf about 1-2 mins are devoted to the friendly, anywho, the majority of the video was spent around them complaining about how amateur El Salvador's tour of the USA was. They played 4 games prior to playing the US in this tour of America, 2 were a training match against Leones Negro of Liga Ascenso(Mexico), 1 against some Semi-Proish team in DC which was promoted as a fair/event, moreso than a "game", and 1 against some other Semi-Pro/Local All-Star team from Gainsville called LSA.. So pretty much the U-23s were used/treated as a circus attraction moreso than an actual National team, so their team had loads of scheduling issues with half the team arrive much later than the others and etc.

They also touched on the topic of about pulling American born Salvies. Their coach, Gochez, during his interview stated that he's invited a couple of players back to camp and others he'll be observing longer, seeing how they perform till the run-up to the tournament. Then the pundits went on about how it'll be tough for them to pull dual-nationals unless the El Salvadoran Federation employs someone of respect and credibility(they listed ex-NT players/coaches like Raul Diaz Arce, Hugo Perez and Magico Gonzalez as their ideal candidate).

anndd yea.. that's it.

6. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    Yeah anything relevant came after the 8:45 mark, and then they wrapped up that section and started talking about the England Bulgaria game.

The younger pundit was trying to talk about the positives of the trip but the older guys weren’t having it.

Catracho_Azul repped this.
  7. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Yea, I chuckled a bit at that part. The young guy tried to pinpoint the silver-linings and then the older guy interrupted him and said "the silver-lining here are the 6 goals from team USA"

8. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    November U-23 camp will be in Europe, from what I'm hearing

autobus39, KUSA77, TxEx and 7 others repped this.
  9. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    The Salvadoran coach did mention that there is one dual national that is certain to join up. Any guesses?

10. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    And will he be as good as Dustin Correa?

[The amount of emotional energy spent on Dustin Correa on these boards was astonishing..............]

11. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meh...

Junior Flores consumed more energy

deejay and mike4066 repped this.
  12. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CCV left Stoke's game early today with an injury. Too bad, I heard he was slated to be in upcoming November U-23 camp.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  13. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Could be anyone.. My guess is some Loudoun Town or DC United Academy kid

deejay repped this.
  14. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    hmmmmm. Is Nelson Martinez Salvadoran?

15. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    Alex Cerritos plays for Loudoun and also has debuted for El Salvador’s full national team.

16. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    I think he is. If he was born in the DC area, more times than not, he's Salvie.

Thundering165 and don Lamb repped this.
  17. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Loudoun has quite a bit of homegrown dual nationals

18. nycfc919

nycfc919 Member+

Aug 17, 2015
    Crazy how many years ago his first u23 appearance was, given that he played as a 16 year old (I think) against Brazil.

19. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Eleven Bravo, Pl@ymaker, KUSA77 and 2 others repped this.
  20. Luksarus

Luksarus Member

United States
    Jul 27, 2018
    The U23MNT will play a tournament in Mallorca, Spain. They will face Brazil. If they win they will play the final against the winner of Argentina vs Chile and if they lose they will play third place against the loser of that match.

21. Eldinter

Eldinter Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are a bunch of u23 guys that got called up to the pre-camp for 11/2 - 11/9. Would they be part of this u23 camp if not part of the Canada squad? If that is the plan, then it would have been nice if they had called more u23 guys like Toye and Servania. Might be rough playing brazil u23 with an incomplete and/or rusty roster.

22. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still stoked that this could be our u23 team

GK Steffen (over-age)
    RB Cannon
    CB Carter-Vickers
    CB Robinson
    LB Dest
    M6 Adams
    M8 McKennie
    10 Ledezma/Reyna/Pomykal/Aaronson/Llanez
    RW Weah
    FW Sargent
    LW Pulisic

Basically, if anyone is wondering why we might struggling at the senior level is because our best players are still so damn young.

The only over-age player who is needed is at goalkeeper. For some reason, the USMNT’s worst position has become goalkeeper. Just goes to show that we can never get complacent.

Patrick167 repped this.
  23. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    If they don't call up at least 11 guys, I say fire 'em all. ;)

Winoman repped this.
  24. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    jason kreis to help them all find a higher level too

25. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I REALLY hope that if we make the Olympics, we refrain from taking Steffen. Keeper is the position that does not normally sub out, barring an injury of course. Giving Steffen, who for the most part gets all the reps at the men's level, all the U23 reps as well is an absolute waste of a development opportunity from a good, youngish keeper who would do well to get some reps with national team-type players.

Winoman and Eleven Bravo repped this.