2020 Olympic Qualifying Team

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by AutoPenalti, Mar 29, 2016.

1. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    I’m not against even one of them sitting if Durkin was starting in favor of trying to get more possession and almost 2 years from now, Durkin could just be flat out better. I think Durkin and Adams would complement each other fantastically if Tyler somehow played in the U20 WC.

I’d just like to see Tyler and Wes play CM together where we they don’t have a #6 behind them and see how they do. Because it’s way too cluttered, confusion, and lack of possession with a 6 and two 6/8’s the way Sarachan likes it.

mitrecondors4life and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  2. Giggsy1986

Giggsy1986 Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    They aren’t technically good enough to play together. They’re competing against eachother in my opinion. If we actually want to take a step up as a country we need central
    Midfielders who can keep the ball.

Thundering165 and mitrecondors4life repped this.
  3. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    I haven't seen Soto play. Is he really potentially better than Sargent? Why wasn't he involved in the last U17 cycle? Is he close to Hannover's first team?

Either way, I wouldn't downplay Sargent's skill level. He's highly technical to the point that that is the strength of his game -- he isn't blowing people away with his athleticism or creativity. It's his off the charts game intelligence and technical ability that has him on such a high trajectory.

Am very intrigued by Soto, however, based on your high opinion of him...

4. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    The weirdness of this U20 cycle (given the odd tournament and timing) and the competitiveness of a likely Finals roster are, one could argue, all the more reason to start pulling together U23 camps sooner rather than later. Start with the 97/98s and pull in some younger guys...

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  5. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    At this point they need to just name Tab Ramos the U23 coach and start having camps...………………………

Our U23 program right now just seems like a total afterthought. I've virtually given up on us qualifying for the Olympics. We've learned over and over again that we can't just throw a U23 team together at the last minute and expect successful results. No matter how talented the kids are.

At this point we're going to have less time to assemble a program than Caleb Porter had two cycles ago. Hell...………...name frickin' Caleb Porter the coach. SOMETHING!

mike4066 and Winoman repped this.
  6. Sombrerito

Sombrerito Member

Arsenal
    United States
    May 6, 2018
    After Sargent, Soto is definitely the best potential striker in the whole program imo. Sargent has good skill but Soto's touch on the ball is just excellent.

don Lamb repped this.
  7. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What about Jesus Ferreira?

8. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ebobisse really has come such a long way. He was poor in 2017 U-20 WC qualifying. Tab actually had him cut from the U-20 WC team but changed his mind the weekend before the roster came out.

Ebobisse is a smart kid. He just worked his tail off to fix or minimize his weaknesses.

He’ll play a role in Olympic qualifying

9. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I know its hard for a CF to have the perception surrounding them be favorable when they aren't scoring goals, but I didn't think Ebobisse was that bad from a minute to minute standpoint during qualifying. He just absolutely could not find the net. Missed some really easy finishes that he usually finishes. He's a good finisher, so it was just a bad spell in front of the net for a player who is usually good in that area.

I think thats one of the best things about Ebobisse's game. He can be productive without scoring goals. He has good hold up play, and is good enough on the ball to fit into the attack with more than just finishing.

Brotheryoungbuck repped this.
  10. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the U-20s winning the 2019 CONCACAF U-20 Championship yesterday, the US has qualified for the 2019 Pan American Games (7/25 - 8/9) in Lima, Peru. The Pan American Games is a U-23 ('97 and younger) plus 3 overage player tournament.

Whether the USSF will accept the spot remains to be seen.

KUSA77, Sombrerito, mike4066 and 2 others repped this.
  11. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Gold Cup is around that time as well, isn't it?

12. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    While I'd like to see the US compete in the PanAm Games, there's no way in hell the Euro clubs release players and any players in MLS and LigaMX who are playing regularly likely aren't getting released, either.

So you're likely looking at MLS backups, USL players (if they want to release them) and college kids.

I think it would be worth it to give those kids some experience and see if a diamond in the rough emerges. But US Soccer may not think it's worth it.

Tom Collingsworth and Sombrerito repped this.
  13. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    With so many kids jumping to Europe I'm not sure who will be left to play the qualifier. I think our defense will be good and Ebobisse has been a revelation up front but with Adams going to Europe, midfield is a concern.

14. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    U23 camps would likely take place on FIFA dates, which the U20s probably will have as well in the lead up to the U20 WC.

15. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    If the Olympic qualifier is on the date Wiki claims it to be, some of it will take place on FIFA dates. Which some clubs might be willing to let a player go.

The CONCACAF Nations League will also be on those FIFA dates I believe.

16. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    This sounds like something that makes sense..........

17. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Cannon, Glad, Trusty, McKenzie, Mihailovic, and Ebobisse called into the January camp.

TCS35, gunnerfan7, TarHeels17 and 4 others repped this.
  18. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

19. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    totally makes sense give the u23 job to a guy thats never had his own team. I mean they'd be crazy to make the u23 a priority.

Zinkoff repped this.
  20. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Pl@ymaker repped this.
  21. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Interesting thought experiment. I less care about that because of how random draws and results are, but I'm curious how people think our potential tournament roster this time around would rank against the competition from last tournament. Would the game vs Venezuela have gone differently?

Anderson11 repped this.
  22. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Are you asking how our best 21 right now (including players like Pulisic and McKennie) would stack up against other teams in the world in the '97 and '98 age groups?

23. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember vs Venezuela and I was thinking back then, how much better we could have done with 2-3 Dereck Jones' instead of just having 1. Venezuela just muscled us around.

This team may not have the "muscle" of a Dereck Jones but I think with Servania this team plays so much smarter from the middle back, If he gets injured then we are screwed because anyone else will be a downgrade at the 6. At right back we have a future MNT starter, we couldn't say that with any fullback in the last cycle.
    I also feel our goalie is tops with Braddy Scott.
    Is this team better with a Pomikal, Llanez and Alex Mendez? I'm not fully convinced but I have been pleasantly surprised by their effort so far.
    I think if we can get a bit of help from players that couldn't make the qualifiers then this team has a good chance to go further. We are better defensively and we are playing/moving the ball around much better than we did the last cycle.

24. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I meant how our '99s and younger that will potentially be at the world cup will do, and since I don't think many of us know much about '99s and younger of other countries, I thought it'd make sense to compare our '99s vs what those teams, like Venezuela, were in 2017.

25. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Even Durkin?