2020 Olympic Qualifying Team

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by AutoPenalti, Mar 29, 2016.

1. Giggsy1986

Giggsy1986 Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yes, but were not talking about Messi here.... he was a good player at the U20 World Cup.... not even great.

2. Sufjan Guzan

Sufjan Guzan Member+

Feb 13, 2016
    Sure, but he was playing up an age group, which if you study player development in ANY sport is one of the best predictors for success. Soccer? Maybe less so then say baseball, but still a predictor nonetheless.

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  3. Giggsy1986

Giggsy1986 Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yes, but players like Akale, Perez, and Wright should have been called up in front of him anyways. Trust me, I like the kids game but he is so far down the list of deserving players its embarrassing for our federation.

4. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Dude....

It was a training call-up for a prospect in a meaningless friendly in which he did not play and the US got a decent result and blooded some newer, younger players.

Nothing egregious or outrageous happened here. The worst-case scenario is Josh learned how far he has to go to be ready for the full team.

For one of our top prospects, at a position where we don't have much quality depth, that's not a bad thing.

There really is no scandal here.

5. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We should have called in Brian Ching. He earned it

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  6. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    Honestly think it's kind of a stretch to even call it a "call-up". Sargent wasn't on the bench for the Portugal game. It's a training stint since he had nothing else to do with his time - he was never going to play.

mike4066, deejay, SilentAssassin and 2 others repped this.
  7. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Qualifying starts in 2019?
    Think we see camps in 2018?

I guess it all depends who the coach is.

8. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to Wikipedia, yes, qualification will take place in October 2019. I'm sure we'll see some U-23 programming next year, but it's virtually impossible to say what or when before a permanent senior team manager and/or technical director is hired.

9. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    So you could make a starting lineup for the 23s almost exclusively with players who have made first-team debuts in Europe or Mexico this fall. (Well, some debuted previously.)

----------------------------------Klinnsman
    ----------------????----------
    ----????-----Cater-Vickers---------A.Robinson
    -------------------------------------Gonzalez
    ------------De La Torre----------------------------------------Amon
    -----------------------------------McKennie
    -------------------------------Pulisic
    --------------------------------------------Wright

BENCH
    Parks
    Gaines
    Torres
    Perez (debuted last year)

Of course, this greatly reduces the chances they'll acctually be available to the US for Olympic qualifying. But it's still a pretty productive sign for the YNTs.

Winoman repped this.
  10. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I've never seen a cycle like this before. By 2020 we might have an entire starting line up in major European leagues.

11. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I agree. The question is whether its an outlier or not. '98 has been great all along, '97 became great after an iffy start, '99 is coming into form, '00 might even be better than '98. But those are only four years.

What do we have from '01-'04? Its hard to know yet, can we be sure its better than '93-'96? I can't say for sure yet that it is. If '01-'04 is anywhere near as good as '97-'00, we've actually improved a lot. If not, we've produced a golden generation from '97-'00, which is good, but every country does so.

TheFalseNine and USSoccerNova repped this.
  12. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm just guessing here, but I'd be surprised if it's '93-'96 bad and surprised if it's '97-'00 good. Here's a dart throw at the 5 best players from each group that US development can take credit for (don't crucify me, just go with me here)

'93: Yedlin, Zimmerman, Trapp, Stanko, Davis
    '94: Morris, Vincent, Manneh, Lima, Alex Crognale?
    '95: Miazga, Acosta, Roldan, Arriola, Gooch somewhat, and 3 keepers
    '96: Hyndman, Shaq, Rubin?, Bradford Jamieson?, Joel Sonora?

'97: EPB, Parks, Glad, Redding, Lennon
    '98: CP, McKennie, Haji, Perez, LDLT, and just ridiculous depth
    '99: Gonzalez, Adams, Taitague, Pomykal, Scott, Torres
    '00: Carleton, Sargent, Durkin, Weah, Ferreira, and it seems like a lot of depth

The first 4 are definitely worse at the top, but for all but '95, I struggle to get past 5 players useful for a club MLS level or above. That's insanely atrocious.

My guess is somewhere in the middle, just because I expect to have the same depth, but Pulisic's are always going to be anomalies. This is the first real generation of kids who can watch every game on TV and play FIFA all the time.

13. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Too early to know. I think these players are better, but none of them have played a first team pro game yet.

14. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    You could put Perez at right back as he's played there in Serie A :)

I suspect that by the end of the 2017-2018 Euro season, we'll have a couple more Euro debuts. Palmer-Brown will probably be loaned out and get some game time, for instance. I've been hoping that Taitague gets a garbage time appearance for Schalke at the end of this year like McKennie did last year. There are some others.

By the way, the kid that's been a complete and total mystery to me for a year now is Mukwelle Akale. The trail has gone cold.

15. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clint, he's been injured and only recently (this week, I believe) made an appearance with Villareal's C team and then started a match. I think someone (maybe @Giggsy1986?) posted a link to the match in Akale's YAA thread.

https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/mukwelle-akale-to-sign-with-villarreal.2003776/page-59

16. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    If I were to judge depth on these groups - with the caveat that it gets hazy the younger they get - I would qualify the following:

'93 F
    '94 F
    '95 B
    '96 D
    '97 B+
    '98 A
    '99 tending towards A
    '00 tending towards A

Historically, I would say that we have been a nation that gets D and C more often than a solid B.

USSoccerNova repped this.
  17. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thread eligible players in January camp:
    Justen Glad, Danilo Acosta, Tyler Adams, and Brooks Lennon

18. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's been a fringe player to this point, but '97 left-footed midfielder Jonathan Suarez made his Copa MX starting debut a few days ago for Cimarrones de Sonora, where he is on loan, and helped defeat his parent club Querétaro. Yesterday, he made his Ascenso MX starting debut vs. Celaya and scored the winning goal. He had a few U20 callups last cycle and was a standby player for the CONCACAF U20s.

Eighteen Alpha, Pl@ymaker and Winoman repped this.
  19. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Six U23-eligible players called up for the senior national team's game against Paraguay next week.

Erik Palmer-Brown, Antonee Robinson and Cameron Carter-Vickers (all 97s), Weston McKennie (98), Tyler Adams (99) and Tim Weah (00) will all get a camp together.

20. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Good. Wish there were more.

21. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I wish there was a U23 camp for the 97s and 98s who aren't in this camp.

Of course, that would require some actual decisive leadership and action from Soccer House.

Pl@ymaker and ielag repped this.
  22. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I would personally love to see some kind of post-U20 program beyond the Olympic program, even if it's something pretty light meant mostly (or entirely) for amateur players.

Dumb idea: CONCACAF could create a regional U23 tournament held every two years, alternating with Olympic qualifying. Auto-qualify a few big teams and let the smaller ones that might benefit from the games battle it out for the other spots.

Make it semi-official (like the U15s) if you want.

Zinkoff, Anderson11, Patrick167 and 3 others repped this.
  23. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Five U23-eligible players have now been capped by the US senior team.

Christian Pulisic (98) - 20
    Tyler Adams (99) - 3
    Cameron Carter-Vickers (97) - 2
    Weston McKennie (98) - 1
    Timothy Weah (00) - 1

Six more have been called up for at least one USMNT camp but have yet to get capped: Dani Acosta (97), Justen Glad (97), Brooks Lennon (97), Erik Palmer-Brown (97), Antonee Robinson (97) and Josh Sargent (00).

Pl@ymaker, Anderson11 and TheFalseNine repped this.
  24. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Who'd like to pitch a theoretical qualifying roster made up entirely (no cheating) of players based, or likely to be based, within CONCACAF, targeting a tournament sometime in early 2019? Let's say two GKs and 18 field players, based on the size of the last group.

25. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Me! Me!

This is straight out of my spreadsheets so the ages are just their age at time of the olympics. Also, I cut just about everyone who I think has a chance of going to Europe in the next year.

Forwards:
    Strikers:

-Jeremy Ebobisse (Portland, 23)
    -Brandon Vazquez (Atlanta, 21)
    Left Wingers:
    -Andrew Carleton (Atlanta, 20)
    -Sebastian Saucedo (Salt Lake, 23)
    Right Wingers:
    -Paxton Pomykal (Dallas, 20)
    -Brooks Lennon (Salt Lake, 22)

Midfielders:
    Central Midfielders:

-Jackson Yueill (San Jose, 23)
    -Cameron Lindley (Orlando, 22)
    Holding Midfielders:
    -Derrick Jones (Philadelphia, 23)
    -Chris Goslin (Atlanta, 20)
    -James Sands (NYCFC, 19)

Defenders:
    Left Backs:

-Danny Acosta (Salt Lake, 22)
    -Marco Farfan (Portland, 21)/Matthew Real (Philadelphia, 20)
    Center Backs:
    -Justen Glad (Salt Lake, 23)
    -Auston Trusty (Philadelphia, 21)
    -Tommy Redding (Red Bulls, 23)
    Right Backs:
    -Reggie Cannon (Dallas, 22)
    -Jaylin Lindsey (Kansas City, 20)

Goalies:
    -JT Marcinkowski (San Jose, 23)
    -Justin Vom Steeg (LA Galaxy, 23)

I cut Adams and Durkin since I think they'll both leave, but I foresee quite a bit of defensive issues in midfield with this roster.

TCS35, mike4066, TheFalseNine and 3 others repped this.