2019 WWC Refereeing

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by lil_one, Dec 22, 2017.

1. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're now halfway through the cycle, and and have some referee news. This thread is for updates about the candidate list for the 2019 referees as well as referee appointments once we get to that point.

There are currently 35 center referees on the candidate list, plus 69 assistant referees as a part of trio teams, which are flexible. The candidates will attend a seminar in Qatar in February and also prepare throughout the year, during the Algarve Cup, U17 WWC, and U20 WWC. For the 2015 WWC, 22 center referees ended up being selected, so the candidates will be whittled down a good bit.

The list of referees by confederation: http://resources.fifa.com/mm/docume...19francecandidatelistfor2018final_neutral.pdf

gricio61, Lechus7 and blissett repped this.
  2. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    i hope the referees are better than in Canada, completely ruined the USA vs Germany semi final for me

3. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
  4. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    #5 Lechus7, Mar 5, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
    Yup, pending approval from FIFA Council in Miami later this month but that's formality (red tape).

Women refs trained use of VAR in real match conditions officiating youth club interntional tournament Alkass 2019.

(full matches from this tournament are at this channel)

5. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    jnielsen repped this.
  6. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    Would this had been in London final, I'm sure USWNT would finish the game with 9 players and Japan would have been given 3 PK's ;)

7. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Moving over to the referee thread for consistency. Also, imo, some of these are stupid. Really.

The specific ones I don't like:
    -dropped ball if the ball hits the referee, in some circumstances;
    -the 1m rule away from a wall for attackers (mostly from an enforcement POV; I get why they're doing it though.)
    -the 'clarification' of handling, which we're now apparently calling handball even in the laws, which simply muddies the waters
    -quick kicks allowed even during stoppages that need a yellow or red card

They'll come into effect (June 1) right in time for the WWC as well, and I'm willing to bet that there will be some controversy or confusion during a WWC game because players and even referees will not be well versed in the law changes. It'll probably be the handling/handball changes, or it could be the enforcing of the 1m attacker in the wall thing. I could even see some referee being gung-ho and yellow carding a player who didn't exit at the nearest boundary line. Whatever it is, there will be something.

On a positive note, I do like the giving of cards to team officials (although I think the standard for "responsible behavior" should be higher for team officials than the examples given by IFAB.) I also like the change on goal kicks not having to leave the penalty area before the ball is in play.

In addition to reading the docs, you may find the discussion in the Referee forum helpful: https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/ifab-meeting.2101446/

jnielsen, blissett and Lechus7 repped this.
  8. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    jnielsen repped this.
  9. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    On contrary I find it quite fair, especially having memory of ref Vitulano(?) assisting Australia with a goal in AFC qual for Rio. :rolleyes:

I'm very happy to see this one:

The following ‘handball’ situations, even if accidental, will be a free kick:

• the ball touches a player’s hand/arm which has made their body unnaturally bigger
    • the ball touches a player’s hand/arm when it is above their shoulder (unless the player has deliberately played the ball which then touches their hand/arm)

no more friggin eagles in pk box...:D

10. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't mind the dropped ball if it goes off the referee and directly into the goal (although this would rarely happen since the referee should very rarely ever be in front of the goal in the penalty area during active play).

Its the other circumstances, like its also a dropped ball if it "starts a promising attack" or "possession changes." That first one is quite a murky definition, and up until now, the referee has always been considered a part of the field. I'm going to guess we'll see more dropped balls, which are also now always uncontested. So a team that made a bad pass (or perhaps didn't even have clear possession), and the ball hit the referee and went to the other team, will now get the ball back and have another chance at it, and the other team will have to be 4.5 m away during that dropped ball.

On another note, I'm also thinking of youth games having been a youth referee. Believe me, the referee gets hit a lot more by the ball when there are seven-year-olds out there than at the professional level.

Also I'd recommend going back and reading the handball laws and changes again (not the summary doc). The two examples you mention are "usually" an offense, but not necessarily. And this illustrates my point: the attempts to further clarify handball have made it more unclear. From what I've seen, the changes to handball were simply to clarify and not to change how its actually called. I don't know if that'll be the actual effect though.

blissett and Lechus7 repped this.
  11. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It isn't going to happen but I really wish they would use the tennis tiebreak system on matches which goes to PKs. Also called ABBA (as opposed to ABAB, the conventional system). One team goes first, but then the next team takes 2 PKs in a row (just like serving in a tennis tiebreaker) and then each team takes turns taking 2 PKs in a row.
    It was used at Algarve and you can still see a little history on the web from the Canada/Sweden 3rd place match. It starts about 2:52:00 in the video.

I'm trying to find the name of the referee but so far I haven't found it.

https://twitter.com/i/broadcasts/1YqxorRleOvJv

sbahnhof and Lechus7 repped this.
  12. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    From this match CAN-SWE? It's Anna Marie Keighley (NZL)

kolabear and JanBalk repped this.
  13. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you. I knew she looked familiar but I couldn't find a report which listed the match referee. Some of us are discussing ABBA now in the Referee Forum

14. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
  15. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, they have the experience. There are a couple of women with a bit of league experience with VAR (Steinhaus, Koroleva, anyone else?), but none have much (some seminars, and a bit of league experience). AFAIK there's not a women's league using VAR.

As has been pointed out though in the Referee forum, the appearance of men not overruling the women on the field could be important, so there may be more on-field review than what's usually seen.

16. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    All handball in the box calls should be subject to video review, IMO. You have to. I think trying to decide live, in real time, whether a play was a handball or not is difficult, and so if it is called I think it should be an automatic review.

I also think that ALL foul calls in the box resulting in a penalty kick should be reviewable, as they are game-changing decisions. Lots of games are lost because of penalty-call decisions. So I say, video review them all. Given that there is a certain amount of subjectivity involved in many foul calls, I would let the referee's call stand unless it was clear upon review that the call was wrong--especially if it is seen that the offensive player took a dive or somesuch. In this way egregious mistakes can be overturned. Anything else, the call can be upheld. I think in the interest of fairness this should be done.

This change---quick kicks allowed even during stoppages that need a yellow or red card--I don't understand. How do allow a quick kick when the game is stopped for a yellow (or red)? What am I missing?

17. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is already how VAR works; they are reviewed. All penalty decisions are reviewed by VAR as are goals (including the possession leading up the goal) and direct red cards. If you're referring to an on-field review, that only occurs when the VAR sees what is potentially a clear error in a reviewable situation and wants the referee to see it. But they're all reviewed by the VAR; they just aren't all sent down to the field video monitor. In many cases the VAR agrees with the referee in a "silent check" and doesn't need to do anything else.

In the case of a quick kick, it'd be like other quick kicks. The play has been stopped for a foul of some sort and the team can take a quick kick. The referee would need to come back and give the card at the next available stoppage. The problem as I see it is that often cards are to help control the temperature of the match. If the card is not given immediately, then its not really as helpful. Plus, players may take it into their own hands and retaliate before the card is given. I guess the referee could yell out to the player who's about to get a card that the card is coming, so that all players hear it. Delayed cards could also contribute to cards being given to the wrong player, if the referee does not make a clear note of who it was.

blissett and Lechus7 repped this.
  18. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
  19. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Hopefully the refereeing is up to pair this time or I'll be mad

20. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Well the big errors will be corrected this time, the small ones won't...

jnielsen, Lechus7 and blissett repped this.
  21. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Already posted on the general discussion thread, but I re-post here because of relevance to this specific thread (I think everyone reading this thread is reading the general discussion one also, but maybe this is a better place to answer and to discuss the issue in details):

sbahnhof, kolabear and soccernutter repped this.
  22. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    Thank God there are no Norwegian referees in this World Cup. From what I've seen in Toppserien, they should all stay home. At least FIFA got that right. :p But only one Nordic representation (a Swedish asst. ref) was a bit surprising. Heavy Eastern European representation instead in the UEFA quota.

But what's the deal with only men in the VAR room?

23. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Not enough time to train female referees to its use, after the (late) decision was made? :cautious:

24. Mojo Jambo

Mojo Jambo Member

Aug 26, 2013
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States