2019 Women's World Cup - DRAW

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by WWC_Movement, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    What a game that would be

2. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Even in France, I think I'd expect a USA win. And it would continue the traditional of every host (aside from the USA) going out in the quarters!

3. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I don’t think it’s very good for women’s football in France if they suffer a Germany 2011, especially considering what their counterparts did in Russia this summer :whistling:

4. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I would expect our coach to be sacked with a QF defeat. It happened to the previous three.

blissett repped this.
  5. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    As a casual follower of the women's game, I think a quarterfinal appearance for Spain would be a great achievement. It is a tournament too early for Spain I believe. However, they shouldn't be scared of any team out there. But when/if they face France, USA, Japan, or England then they'll be knocked out.

blissett repped this.
  6. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yes, I believe the best players for Spain have to grow out of the youth teams, but they could be a contender in the next cycle. I don't believe they're already there either.

7. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I think their #12 ranking is deserved, at the moment, in both directions. They've been climbing recently, and their rating has showed it - they're starting to leave the "chasing pack" and should be in that top-ten-ish level very soon. They're not there yet, though, so I can't see them getting past two top-eleven teams in a row (or even getting past one top-six team). A spot in the QFs would definitely sound reasonable, though going out in the R16 would be too with a number of possible R16 opponents. A truly favorable KO draw could see them into the SFs, but it'd be very unlikely. They do need to get out of the group, though. I think they were, talent-wise, ready to leave the groups in 2015 too. Missing the KO round twice in a row, then, is unacceptable for Spain.

blissett repped this.
  8. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    2019 Women's World Cup - 20 Questions

Best Group Match?:
    Japan vs. England

Best Rivalry Group Match:
    USA vs. Sweden (6th straight World Cup together)

Best Revenge Group Match:
    Brazil vs. Australia (both teams knocked each other out in 2015 and 2016)

Most Boring Match:
    China vs. South Africa (not a very interesting story-line here)

Most Meaningless Match:
    Chile vs. Thailand

Most Physical Match:
    Canada vs. New Zealand

Most Track Meet Match (Speed/Pace/WideOpenPlay):
    Australia vs. Jamaica

Most Slowed Down Match:
    Japan vs. Scotland

Most Likely Match to be impacted by Weather:
    Italy vs. Jamaica (Canada vs. New Zealand was delayed at 2015 WWC)

Most Inspirational Match:
    England vs. Scotland

Most Intriguing Match:
    Germany vs. Spain (old vs. emerging Euro powers)

Most Important Match to the Women's Game:
    France vs. South Korea (opener)

Most Fun Match:
    France vs. Nigeria (skill of France vs. pace of Nigeria)

Most Underrated Match:
    Brazil vs. Italy (one team is regressing, the other is progressing)

Most Exciting Euro Match:
    France vs. Norway

Most Likely Match to see Multi V.A.R. Replays:
    Canada vs. Netherlands

Most Likely Match to see the Most Cards (Yellow/Red):
    Canada vs. Cameroon

Most Likely Match in which the Power Goes Out:
    Brazil vs. Jamaica (Canada vs. Nigeria at 2011 WWC saw the power go out)

Best Looking Female Players - Match:
    USA vs. Sweden

Most Important Match not already Mentioned Above:
    China vs. Spain

9. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    will they have VAR? I thought the answer was NO

2nd} except for Morgan & Ertz, the US, hardly! Now if only Dani Weatherbolt & Kelia Ohai make the team, then your talking!

hmm......maybe that one CA transplant that GK's for Ohio St?(forgot her name) Apparently switched nationalities when she found that the US youth NT's train in bikini friendly Florida,,,,,,,,,,,,

10. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Spain is a strong 'friendlies' team based on the build in chemistry all ready as they started 7 Barca & 4 Athletic Madrid players in their last friendly, a 0-0 draw with Germany/ They do miss a good striker, however.
    One must wonder if they should move up their lil teen sensation, Claudia Pina? This year, next to Ronaldo, she was the world's 2nd leading scorer in international goals(bro or wo, youth or senior) Guess someone needs to go up to her and say
    sorry kid, no prom for you, cuz uz will play on da ole WC!

odd too, that the best player by far in the their domestic cup final was Sonia Bermudez, who along with Vero, is considered over the hill for their NT coach(as well that her club A. Madrid won the league championship over Barca, yet he goes with more players from the latter).
    In my opinion, you need to send your best out there(regardless or age) that's why i got the feeling Spain will flop again at the world stage

11. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    #61 WWC_Movement, Dec 13, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2019
    DJ Devi Kerr (with the Kerrv ball thrown on the outside corner of the plate)

Full Birth-name: Devotion Kerr
    Short name: Devon Kerr
    Nicknames: Dev-Dev, The KERRageous One, The GoalKERRer

[Mod edit - removed picture]

hotjam2 repped this.
  12. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
  13. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    can you please explain the FIFA/Euros way of thinking to me as why would the #1 & #3 teams meet in the quarters? (as compared to an NCAA draw which would make sure the #1 & #4 and the #2 & #3 meet in the semis(if they all won their games through the projected ranking path

14. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    #64 SiberianThunderT, Dec 16, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
    Not that it matters much because #3 and #4 have shuffled back and forth repeatedly over the past year or so...

But in a word: randomness. Aside from separating the teams into 4 pots based on general strength, actual ranking is irrelevant. Remember the ire drawn when they actually pre-placed the top 6 teams last time around? That's not what people want. The seeded teams - and any team in any pots - are assigned to groups randomly (aside from the host getting group A).

Besides, the World Cup isn't a straight knockout tournament like NCAA things are. Even if you did pre-place the top 6 teams, it's not guaranteed to work out like you would "expect" once you get to the knockout phase. Any group stage upsets would destroy the planned paths, so it's more effort (and criticism) that it's worth to pre-place the seeded teams.

Also remember that if you want to argue for pre-placing the pot 1 teams, you'd in theory have to extend that procedure all the way down through the remainder of the field - i.e. in a 24-team tournament, you'd force group A to be 1-12-13-24, B would be 2-11-14-23, etc. FIFA won't do that for several reasons, one being that it might disrupt the no-conferedation-mixing rule for groups, another being that raw rank (from a competitive standpoint) isn't as predictive as the detailed ratings are, so it's not a good system to base the entire draw from, and a third reason being that the host isn't always going to deserve being in pot 1 (which screws a lot of ranking-based arguments up - as does the fact that we're in a 24-team phase of the tournament and not a nice power of 2). That's why the randomness is preferred for the draw.

blissett and hotjam2 repped this.
  15. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #65 hotjam2, Dec 18, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
    I wonder though this FIFA "randomness" is good for woso? The one huge game that even the most casual observer might watch(& detrimental to the growth of the woso) is of course the final. So you really want to try as hard as possible to get the two best teams in it. But instead, the 2015 final proved arguably the most one sided/decisive WC final in history, men & women.

despite the intricate's of the draw, 6 groups/24 teams(as you wrote about), 2015 seemed similar as US, GER, FRA were the 3 top ranked teams, if the projected path followed, we all ready knew that GER was going to meet FRA in quarters(which is what happened) that the winner would meet the US in the semis(which is exactly what happened).

the correct draw should of had US/GER final(which proved to be a much more memorial/competitive game, yet most of the casual world tuned i for the final instead. which turned out to be ridiculously lopsided)

Thomsen repped this.
  16. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I think you're putting too much emphasis on the fact that the 2015 final turned out to be lopsided and ignoring how evenly the "expected" results should have gone (as well as maybe showing some GER favoritism) - and the fact that 2015 was NOT random for the seeded teams.

First, don't forget that Japan was right up there with USA, FRA, and GER - they were ranked #4, and had been in the 2011 WWC and 2012 OG finals as well. They weren't (statistically) a pushover by any means. (Not to mention USA was #2 going into the 2015 WWC, so #2 vs #4 wasn't a big gap either - at least less than a #1 cs #4 would be.) And even if the game ultimately was lopsided, it was still a very good match to watch. I would personally say it was better than the USA/GER game, which IMO was marred by more thuggish play from both sides.

Also, the six seeded teams were NOT randomly assigned to group in the 2015 draw. That was one of the biggest complaints about 2015. Most people criticized FIFA for A) giving hosts Canada an incredibly easy path, and B) making sure that USA's two biggest competitors met each other before meeting the USA. So 2015 is an argument FOR randomization, not against it. (Or, at the very least, for a more equitable setup of pre-set group assignments for the pot 1 teams. But that's moving in the wrong direction for most fans' opinions.)

JanBalk, lil_one and blissett repped this.
  17. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    even if it's against the u.s?

how many times have they beaten the u.s?

18. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Yeah, she has a minimum target on a semi-final. I think it is two or three times as one of the game is counted by the FFF but not US Soccer.

19. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    Klingenberg wants France to win their Group:

20. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    ... while losing about 6 times since 2011 from what I can find.

semifinal is the goal regardless of which opponent they face in the qf?

21. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    aren't you forgetting, they destroyed Ellis at the 2017 SBC as well as tied this year, They've had two different coaches in those matches. I personally liked the 2017 one; he now coaches PSG to an almost identical record(just two points behind) to the way more stacked & heralded Lyon(who the geniuses of FIFA voted as having 6 of the world's 10 players).
    The newer coach is trying to implement the same, 'lay back, seek/ruse out weaknesses in the opposing defenses & counter swiftly' of their men's side. , though it's going to be hard for the women to do since their the home team and you would think most will bunker on them.

I think they'll probably going to beat the US in the friendly next month; their players are in season ,plus they're really good 'friendlies & mini tourney team' because of the built in chemistry from starting so man, players from the same club team(usually 6-8 from Lyon) but have flopped now in 4 straight major tournaments. In my humble, outsiders opinion, they need to change their training from the current fairy tale castle like setting of Clairefontaine training grounds
    les-fontaines.jpg
    . to something like maybe to the filth & grime streets of Philly?

22. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Yes indeed, but as it is a political appointment, things might happen, but as I said :

Bini lost QF Euros sacked
    Bergeroo lost QF WC ( stayed on because qualified for Olympics)
    Bergeroo lost QF Olympics sacked
    Echouafni lost QF Euros sacked

The full history USA 17 draw 3 France 2

23. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    who's the dude at the far left? kinda looks like an bearded, bloated version of Elton John without glasses! lol
    surprised at the mention that Shuang was named Asia player of the year(last year it was Sam Kerr, who I would of picked in a jeapie again over the Chinese girl)
    ur kidding? the score was 4-0 after 14 minutes. The filled up sport lounge where I was watching started emptying before the match was over or channel switching

if it was played American ball(unlimited subs) I know a lot of coaches who would just gone to their bench for the remainder(well maybe not, since it was a champ. game)

24. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Yes, and that doesn't counter anything I said. If anyone watched the game, it was a well-fought match for 75+ minutes. After the USA's fast start (which, btw, was 3-0 after 14' - it didn't hit 4-0 until two minutes later) the Japanese really tightened up and made a game of it.

We all know that even the best-played soccer matches can be decided by a few minutes of brilliance or mere seconds of a lapse. The USA-JPN game was, even with that fast start, one of the best soccer matches of the tournament. USA-GER was too rough for most people I know to enjoy it, and FRA-GER was one of those were the better team on the day didn't win.

JanBalk and blissett repped this.
  25. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I mean, I struggle how to see that it was a good game when Japan was under with like 3 after 15 minutes - poor defending sadly... Japan’s goals in the final genuinely impressed me though but the game was over after US scored their third lol

USA - GER is still the best match for me where a shit referee decided the game although it wasn’t unfair that US won the game at the end but still it’s a pity that the referee was the deciding factor - she should be banned from refereeing a big game again