2019 Week 11 MLS Referee Discussion

Discussion in 'MLS Referee Forum' started by code1390, May 8, 2019.

1. Baka_Shinpan

Baka_Shinpan Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Between the posts
    Club:
    Vegalta Sendai
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    You get what you pay for.

frankieboylampard repped this.
  2. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would argue that it's a lunge from a short distance, but that might roll together with the speed. That said, the point of contact is low and glancing, like you mentioned. I don't think PRO wants a red card given on the field, but whether or not they agree that red is clearly wrong, I'm not sure.

3. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    The audio in the video kills me. LoL

4. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. mrref

mrref New Member

May 16, 2016
    ManiacalClown and JasonMa repped this.
  6. incognitoind

incognitoind Member

Apr 8, 2015
    You’re right. Hopefully those pool reporters don’t lose their job after failing to the follow the most basic protocol of registering when arriving at the stadium.

In all seriousness those protocols are in place for a reason. Anyone can call themselves a reporter and think their entitled to communicate with officials, either team or referee.

JasonMa repped this.
  7. LampLighter

LampLighter Red Card

Bugeaters FC
    Apr 13, 2019
    Referees have enough to worry about apart from vetting journalists credentials. Just m fulfill the basic standard of listing your names before the game. How hard is that?

8. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Ghastly Officiating

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 12, 2017
    So Zlatan is saying he was kicked and he didn’t grab anyone’s face/neck? Very interesting position to take. He didn’t say it was just light contact, he just said it never even happened...

10. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got to admit, when I clicked on the headline I expected a slightly more coherent argument.

From a simple process standpoint, I really wish articles like this included factual information to contrast with the assertion being made. Specifically here, nothing is subject to video review because it's a yellow card we are being talked about. The only way VAR comes into play is if there was a clearly missed VC red card (and that's debatable, but not good for Ibrahimovic if there was) OR if this was deemed a mass confrontation, which it was not. Letting the quotes stand on its own makes it sound like the referee ignored Ibrahimovic's reasonable and polite requests. That's not what happened. Ibrahimovic was asking to use VAR in a way that is completely illegal. Yet the media is too lazy to bother pointing that out.

Of course, process isn't the only issue with these comments. His actual assertion about what happened is bananas. He is asserting VAR should be scrapped because VAR was not used to exonerate him when, in reality, if VAR had been applied in this situation it would have been done so to, proverbially, hang him. The simple audacity of his argument is bonkers.

11. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My bad, I misread the quote before posting it.

Out of curiosity though, what's the actual process of posting those names? Does somebody from the press pool actually go into the ref's locker room and stick a list of names on a board somewhere? Or is it handed to some site operations person to do the posting? Or is it more of a "here's the email with the list of names" sent to the refs and there's no literal "posting" in the locker room?

I'm just wondering if the lack of names is always a screw up by the press or if its possible the press submitted the names to whatever person is responsible for posting them and they failed to do so. In a KSE operation that's not only possible, but at times probable, given their track record.

12. FootyPDX

FootyPDX Member

Portland Timbers
    England
    Nov 21, 2017
    On what planet was that debatable? I only saw one angle and it was clearly VC. We've seen that PRO has already stopped using VAR when Zlatan is involved in other VC incidents, now he wants them to use it to help him even more.

13. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    it's unfortunate that there doesn't seem to be a very good shot of what Zlatan did. It's also interesting that Johnson doesn't say "he choked me". So I'm actually more inclined to believe that the caution each way was correct.

I hadn't seen the stoppage time incident in Toronto where their new star hit a Philly player in the face trying to wrestle the ball away from him. A little surprised that didn't get looked at, unless they decided the Philly player deserved it for being a time-wasting jerk.

14. Ghastly Officiating

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 12, 2017
    I think Zlatan’s comments must have been directed towards the action in the 50th minute when he wins the ball and then gets kicked. It seems like the article is trying to use Zlatan talking about that play as him talking about the play in the 87th minute.

GlennAA11 repped this.
  15. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ibrahimovic has been sent off for VC via VAR before.

Level of force is clearly debatable here. Particularly in a world where the league just said, for example, that Roldan shouldn't have been sent off. You think VARs are eager to intervene and say that a hand on the neck is clearly a red card right now?

Leave the conspiracy theories out of it. In a perfect world, sure, Ibrahimovic is getting a red. But so is Roldan. So is Nani for his headbutt. So are a host of other players for their off-the-ball/dead-ball behavior. But when the league is sending signals that it is willing to excuse hands to the face/head, you're going to need something extraordinarily clear to prompt VAR intervention.

JasonMa repped this.
  16. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting. What incident was this? A potential penalty or potential VC?

17. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know there are a lot of Zlatan jokes that are in the same vein as Chuck Norris jokes, but there's not much doubt in my mind that Zlatan very much lives in some sort of parallel reality from the rest of us . . .

18. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he was talking about a different incident, I take back much of what I said and give him a lot more latitude with his remarks (though the fact that he can say all this without keeping the 87' incident in mind does confirm the lack of self-awareness).

However, if he's talking about a different incident, it elevates the writing in the article from unfortunately lazy to just plain incompetent and blatantly incorrect.

19. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Yes, now that it was mentioned I am sure he is talking about the play where he nicked the ball away from behind just as the defender was preparing to kick it and ended up kicking Zlatan instead. And the foul was called on Zlatan.

20. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was this in the penalty area?

21. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes.

22. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    It's on the latest version of Instant Replay.

Clear foul and certainly meets the threshold for what other VARs have been awarding this season.

23. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just watched (deliberately without volume).

That's sort of like the incident from the Championship playoff this weekend. I don't think you do have universal acceptance that that is a "clear foul." Some will say Ibrahimovic has cleanly won the ball so that any kick to his leg is a foul. Others will say that he's come from behind and stuck his leg in between the defender and the ball from the blind side at the last moment, having fouled him by doing so (you can still "trip" an opponent even if you get the ball).

I know full well I've defended penalty calls when incidents like this have gone the other way before. But for me this is one of those grey areas where even referees have a hard time agreeing. So nothing about this says "clearly wrong" in my book. Penso was looking straight at it. I doubt he'd change his mind by looking at video. Fans or other referees are welcome to dislike this interpretation of the Laws and think Penso is wrong, but a play like that is very subjective in my opinion. This isn't what VAR is supposed to change.

GlennAA11 repped this.
  24. FootyPDX

FootyPDX Member

Portland Timbers
    England
    Nov 21, 2017
    I guess I feel that a choke hold around a players throat sending him to the ground is on the level of VC. I guess the league and PRO disagree based on "we made a mistake before so let's keep making mistakes"

25. LampLighter

LampLighter Red Card

Bugeaters FC
    Apr 13, 2019
    I only have a problem with the word "sending" because it didn't, the keeper flung himself to the ground. Ibra should see red in a VAR world because he targeted the neck obviously. Sadly that's not how VAR is being used it seems.

MassachusettsRef repped this.