2019 U17 World Cup cycle

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by kba4life1, Oct 22, 2017.

1. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a lot of creativity there, to be sure. And, compared to the U20's, it's clearly not as good.

But I think qualification depends more on how good the other teams are. I don't know much about other countries' U17 programs, so I'd be interested if anyone could give an idea of the strength of the U17 teams we'd be playing.

Doesn't really matter if we don't have a great team if all the other countries aside from Mexico have crap U17 teams.

2. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think your standards have just gone up. ‘17 had a lot of chemistry and fit very well together, but exactly 0 of those players were getting MLS minutes by the WCQs. This team has 2 who have already made their first team debuts, and more who may have significant minutes in MLS or USL by the time the tournament starts.

What concerns me and why I could see us struggling is the team lacked a 10 in the Nike Friendlies, and the wings weren’t creative enough to create goals consistently. Pepi isn’t really a target forward type, so they need guys like Fuentes and Leyva to create offense and play well together. Last time I saw Fuentes, he wanted to dribble the ball into the goal every time he touched it. Now that I think about it, he was kind of Bofoesque. I’m hoping he’s improved and has a better feel for when to pass because his speed and movement could be a real asset. Leyva is an upgrade over Saldana, imo, so hopefully that makes a difference. I think some kids could emerge as good prospects after this tournament.

3. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't think Leyva or Fuentes are good enough to make the qualifying team. Leyva probably won't, Fuentes likely will. Pepi should make the team, but he's not close to as good as Ocampo-Chavez, in my opinion. I don't know why Pepi would be in contention to start, unless we are using two strikers. He probably shouldn't, anyway, considering its very hard for 03's to belong with the best 02's. I think he's a back up caliber player in this age group. I think its asking too much for him to play a starters role.

butters59 repped this.
  4. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Winoman repped this.
  5. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know you like Ocampo-Chavez and you rate him higher than Pepi, but Pepi started 2/3 Nike Friendlies, trained with FC Dallas' first team in preseason, and figures to start for NTSC this season. I think you're going to be disappointed and Pepi is going to be given the chance to take the 9. If he falters or isn't ready, Ocampo-Chavez is also very good and may turn out to be a better player than Pepi.

One thing we can definitely agree upon is Nyeman getting a chance as the 10. If he's eligible, I think he's easily the best option

zlebmada repped this.
  6. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yow as a 10? That would be... bad. It’s also interesting that he has Perez as a starter over Dunbar. Maybe this is what he wants instead of what he thinks will happen.

This is more what I’m expecting... personally, I wasn’t impressed with Armour but I know nothing about Tolkin and I thought they liked Armour. I think they are going to try to press and win close, ugly games. That’s why I think Gray and Stroud will both start. Neither provides much offense but both are aggressive defenders. I wouldn’t be surprised if they rate Saldana over Leyva for the same reason.

I’d also rather see Nyeman as the 10. I’m not really sure what they’ll do there because if they liked Fuentes, he would’ve been rostered for the Nike Friendlies. I think someone could slide in there and surprise and I’m hoping it’s Nyeman.

Attached Files:

SUDano and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  7. Luksarus

Luksarus Member

United States
    Jul 27, 2018
    Leyva and Pérez really have a level for this U17 team? I know it is a very weak group and there is not much depth, but I remember that until 2 or 3 months ago nobody had considered them for this team and about a month ago they all started talking about them. have they improved noticeably?

ChuckMe92 and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  8. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    This is a similar lineup to what I predicted a few months ago:

Ocampo-Chavez
    Busio-------------Reyna

Fuentes----Nyeman
    Atencio

Bello--Gray--Judge--Scally

Las

Bench: Pepi, Robles, Pynadath, Stroud, Hernandez-Foster, Freeman, Yow

Notes:
    - I don't think Busio, Bello, and Reyna will be withheld. It is very rare for U17s to stay with their club in this situation, and I don't see any of them being so important to their team that they wouldn't be released. Reyna might be the most likely, but I would think that it would be a huge improbability if any more than one of them are not available.
    - AOC is significantly more polished than Pepi right now. That is not to say that he would always have the biggest impact on the game or that he is the better prospect.
    - The center back and 6 positions will be crucial to how this team performs, and those positions look like potential liabilities at this point. Gray is an interesting player. His ceiling is something like Tyler Adams given his athleticism, but I don't think he is nearly as tidy with the ball at this point. I'm not sure he'll be considered as a center back for this team, but that's where I'd prefer him. Maybe Hernandez-Foster is better there though?
    - I'm also not sure where Atencio fits in on the depth chart, but he's a player that I'd like to see at the 6 due to his ability as a ball circulator. If not Atencio, I think Stroud is the best player for that role right now. What might be lost in distribution could be gained in defensive prowess.
    - Nyeman is a bit of a mystery at this point. I really haven't even seen him play all that much, but that is true for a lot of the players in this age group for me. I think Robles or Freeman could play in that spot if his fitness is not there or if his form has not rebounded after his recovery from injury. Reyna or Busio could also play centrally if a player like Pynadath is good enough to start on the wing.
    - Fuentes has an important role on this team given his creativity and ability to play into the front three. There are not many players with those qualities in this pool.
    - Bello and Scally can be dominant at this level and be very dangerous providing width in the attacking half.

9. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    If you haven't been following Leyva with the Sounders this preseason you are missing out.

Kid has been impressing everyone and was the last of the Defiance and Academy kids still active with the first team.

He just got some minutes vs Nacional from Uruguay and showed well.

He has been playing as one of the two DMs in a double pivot and looks to control the tempo.

STR1, KUSA77, xbhaskarx and 5 others repped this.
  10. USOutlaw16

USOutlaw16 Member+

Green Bay Voyageurs
    United States
    Jan 22, 2011
    On the Gringo Wall of Shame
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  12. Luksarus

Luksarus Member

United States
    Jul 27, 2018
    It would be very interesting if the World Cup was played here, but it is more likely that FIFA, assign a European country to host the cup.

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  13. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The rumor is that it's going to Brazil.

14. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems like that’s a rumor the Brazil media started

15. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

xbhaskarx, KUSA77, ChuckMe92 and 3 others repped this.
  16. Luksarus

Luksarus Member

United States
    Jul 27, 2018
  17. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Maybe we're outsourcing youth coaching to Mexico.

18. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Canada U17s will be in Mexico starting Monday. Dunning is listed with their squad.
    https://canadasoccer.com/?t=project&sid=1285

Luksarus repped this.
  19. Luksarus

Luksarus Member

United States
    Jul 27, 2018
    Thank you for the correction. I think there must be 2 options, the first one and I think the most feasible one is that the person who issued the information was wrong with the country of the call (which is something strange since Joey Anthone and Travis Clark retweeted his tweet and in my opinion are very reliable sources) and the second option is that Dunning first received the call from our U17 and accepted it, but then rejected it with the call from Canada.
    The truth has left me with doubts about whether there is a camp or not, in addition to this, it is added that USSF is very slow at the time of giving information about the youth teams and the camp is three days from its start and I have not seen much more information about it.

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  20. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #620 ussoccer97531, Mar 1, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
    I doubt there's a camp. There's no coach yet. I don't think everything Anthone retweets is something he verifies himself. He shouldn't be expected to, IMO. Clark might be a reliable source for news reports, but I don't think he has much info and I think his overall knowledge about the youth pool is low, considering he focuses mostly on college soccer.

21. Luksarus

Luksarus Member

United States
    Jul 27, 2018
    Ok, I apologize if the information I gave is incorrect. I just saw that the Mexican U17 team is on a tour of Los Angeles from February 28 to March 10 (Letayf, Efra Alvarez and Santi Muñoz are in their call). Nor does the date coincide with the Canadian camp, really confusing.

ChuckMe92 and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  22. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a little surprised Mexico hasn't bothered to call Sagir Arce to even one camp. Either that or he simply prefers (for now) the US who called him first. At least statistically, he's significantly outperforming Munoz. In U17 Liga MX, Arce has 15 goals in 1100 minutes. Munoz has 8 goals in 1300 minutes.

JRB92 repped this.
  23. Luksarus

Luksarus Member

United States
    Jul 27, 2018
    I do not know specifically if the Mexican federation had any contact with Sagir, but an explanation of why Mexicans do not call him with his U17 is perhaps what usually happens in many cases and is that the guy has a loyalty to the United States for the moment and prefers to play with us

24. jurasic

jurasic Member

Barcelona
    Jul 15, 2017
    What really happens is that Muñoz is a much better player than Sagir, you only see statistics, Mexico sees the way to play.

JRB92 repped this.
  25. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I know I’m going to be like @zlebmada was about Ledezma, but I think I’m going to be talking about this kid all season. It’s only USL League One, but I think he’s going to be scoring a ton of goals this season. And for a 15 year old, that’s pretty good.