2019 U17 World Cup cycle

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by kba4life1, Oct 22, 2017.

1. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    cheers, Chuck

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  2. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just wanted to echo my thanks. It's much quicker to read up on your assessments and then pick certain players to watch every once in a while, rather than watching all the games myself. Thanks for putting in the time, it's very much appreciated.

3. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I'd like to see a 3-5-2 formation from this team. I think thats exactly what would suit this player pool.

Las
    Gray-Judge-Alejandre
    Scally-Atencio-Saldana-Bello
    Nyeman
    Ocampo Chavez-Reyna

This team has three good CB's that all should be starting. The two outside ones are way better suited for a back 3 than a back 4. Judge is probably more of a back 4 guy, but he can play centrally. Scally and Bello should have as much offensive freedom as they need. They bring more offense in a wingback role than what we'd have from wingers like Serrano, Jasson (not even a winger), Busio. I also think Reyna and Ocampo Chavez could play well in a system where they can interchange who takes the high role, who takes the low role, who makes runs out right, who makes runs out left.

4. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't Reyna (at least nominally) a midfielder? At least from the little bits that I've watched at NYCFC.

5. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I don’t think his position is determined yet. I’ve seen him play everywhere in attack.

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  6. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Lookingforleftbacks and ShaftBrewer repped this.
  7. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I did. I don't want to comment on his distribution but his pure shot-stopping ability is insanely good from what I've seen.

8. zlebmada

zlebmada Member

United States
    Jan 16, 2018
    Joshua Atencio has made his USL debut and his first USL start in the past 6 days for Sounders 2. Holding midfielder. Very composed. I clipped a few of his moments from the start on Saturday: https://streamable.com/j1he4

He's been a regular U17s call-up. Just young enough to play in the U17 World Cup in 2019.

Pl@ymaker, KUSA77, Anderson11 and 6 others repped this.
  9. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice video. That is an interesting musical choice, though.

Pl@ymaker and zlebmada repped this.
  10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    An update. I'll go with qualifying numbers (20 players).

Goalies:

1. Las
    2. Wilson

Comments: This picks itself. Las is in a class of his own. I think Wilson has separated himself between the back ups. Huge oversight that he doesn't yet have any U-17 caps. Not a bad crop of keepers behind him. I think Cervantes is probably the leading candidate for the third spot at the U-17 WC, but Odunze, Harms, Trejo, Wady are all decent candidates, as well.

Defenders:

3. Judge
    4. Gray
    5. Alejandre
    6. Scally
    7. Cuevas
    8. Bello
    9. Gomez

Comments: The first three CB's have separated themselves from the rest. Its not a cycle with much CB depth. Antino Lopez is probably fourth here, but there's no real need to add him here, considering others can fill in if we need a 4th CB. I have added two 03's for the back up full-back spots. I'm not convinced they'll be added just yet, but they should be. Cuevas is considerably better than Barragan. Gomez is as good as Hernandez-Foster. Hernandez-Foster can also fill in at CB, which might make it closer than the back up spot on the other side of the field, but I still think Gomez as the back up to Bello makes more sense.

Central Midfielders:

10. Atencio
    11. Saldana
    12. Stroud
    13. Nyeman

Comments: Atencio is the starting #6 with Stroud as his direct back up. If Letayf becomes eligible, he takes Stroud's spot, and might push Atencio to the bench. Saldana has a place as a #8. Its mostly a matter of how you are going to use him. I'm not convinced a midfield with Atencio and Saldana has enough ability to make plays on foot, so Nyeman might have to be designated as a CM for now. Nyeman's integration into this team is vital for their results. We've yet to see him in this age group. I'm not sure this team has knockout round potential at the U-17 WC, unless Nyeman is included. Without his offensive game, I don't see a real standout creative offensive player. Panagos from the Sacramento academy is another #8 option, if Nyeman is used higher up the field.

Attackers:

14. Busio
    15. Freeman
    16. Dunbar
    17. Sarver
    18. Ocampo-Chavez
    19. Reyna
    20. Pepi

Comments: There are more candidates here than there were a couple of months ago, but I'm not sure they are all quality candidates. I'm not a big fan of what Busio brings, but I think the options here are weak enough that he probably merits inclusion for now. Freeman is needed in the team as a creative attacking mid. Dunbar and Sarver give this team some real 1v1 ability from wide positions. Neither has yet to get called up to this team. If they persist with players like Jasson, Fuentes, Serrano, we are in trouble. Those players can't create. I've decided for Sarver over Redzic. It was a close call, but Redzic's game is a little too underwhelming. Pynadath is an option, but I'm not really convinced by what I've read. Back up at club level says a lot. The Real Madrid attacker Quieroz should be included in one of these camps. Robles from Seattle might also merit a call up.

Among the strikers, the real call here was Pepi vs. Lopez. I see them as pretty equal players in what they bring and current ability. Lopez is more proven at the U-17 level. He's proven to be a capable back up to Ocampo-Chavez at this level. I prefer Pepi now, but I think Lopez has a good argument here. Arce is another player worth mentioning. I'm just not sure there's a place for him right now with Ocampo-Chavez's presence.

Lineup:

Las
    Gray-Judge-Alejandre
    Scally-Atencio-Saldana-Bello
    Nyeman
    Reyna-Ocampo Chavez

Winoman repped this.
  11. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As much as I want Nyeman to start on this team, I’m betting they put either Busio or Reyna as the 10 and play that same 4-5-1 they love so much.

12. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    What are the scoops on Julian Gaines and Josh Pynadath?

I don't have a deep knowledge of the player pool, but I bet this lineup could play with any other 17s in the world:

Busio Ocampo Chavez Reyna
    Nyeman Fuentes
    Atencio
    Bello Alejandre Judge Scally
    Las

Subs: Stroud, Freeman, Redzic

14. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Who is the new coach of this team?

Pl@ymaker and don Lamb repped this.
  15. Luksarus

Luksarus Member

United States
    Jul 27, 2018
  16. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Hopefully we get a stream this time Vs worthy teams.

17. Luksarus

Luksarus Member

United States
    Jul 27, 2018
  18. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Are they playing two tournaments? Looks like one might be in England.

Tom Collingsworth and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  19. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Based on the fact that the tweet referenced two tournaments, one of which is in England, you might be right.

;)

That's almost three straight weeks of international travel. Seems they might need more than one roster for this.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  20. Tactical Hipster

Dec 23, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This may be a dumb question, but what is the difference between a "camp" and a "tournament" in this instance? I thought the camp they are having in Mexico was a tournament too?

The way it's framed sounds like they are training in Mexico with no official games, then they go to England for the tournament. Clearly that is not the case though.

21. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I've liked what ive seen of Busio playing against men. we rarely line up on players, so this odd take makes me feel pretty good about my view.

Anybody got some clips of Busio's one start and/or late subs?

22. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    clips of his assist and shot from distance.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018...kcs-teenage-standout-gianluca-busio-after-win

“Man of the match for me,” Vermes said of Busio, who notched the game-winning assist in SKC’s 1-0 win. “For a 16-year-old to play in a game like this at the level that he did consistently for 90 minutes – he took some shots, physically, but he never got rattled, and he easily could have.”

Busio did, in fact, take a shot. In the 14th minute, Dynamo center back Alejandro Fuenmayor went up for a 50/50 ball but mistimed his challenge and drove his shoulder into Busio, who slammed to the ground, earning Fuenmayor a straight red card.

“I think he was good with the ball and played between the lines in an intelligent way,” Vermes said. “He was very confident to turn and go at the back four, which cause them a lot of problems.”

23. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/20...four-nations-tournament#.W65eS5RND70.facebook

GOALKEEPERS (2): Aaron Cervantes (Orange County Soccer Club; Chino Hills, Calif.), Damian Las (Chicago Fire; Norridge, Ill.)

DEFENDERS (7): Axel Alejandre (FC United; Chicago, Ill.), Adam Armour (North Carolina FC; Cary, N.C.), Michael Barragan (Atlas FC; Guadalajara, Mexico), Mauricio Cuevas (LA Galaxy; Los Angeles, Calif.), Kobe Hernandez (LA Galaxy; Los Angeles, Calif.), Antino Lopez (Shattuck-St. Mary's; Las Vegas, Nev.), Kenny Nielsen (Pateadores; Irvine, Calif.)

MIDFIELDERS (6): Josh Atencio (Seattle Sounders FC; Bellevue, Wash.), James Dunning (Feyenoord; Rotterdam, Netherlands), Gilbert Fuentes (San Jose Earthquakes; Tracy, Calif.), Daniel Robles (Seattle Sounders FC; White Center, Wash.), Adam Saldana (LA Galaxy; Panorama City, Calif.), Aiden Weaver (PA Classics; Elizabethtown, Pa.)

FORWARDS (5): Sagir David Arce (Monarcas Morelia; Chihuahua, Mexico), Cade Cowell (San Jose Earthquakes; Ceres, Calif.), Alfonso Ocampo Chavez (Seattle Sounders FC; Kent, Wash.), Mario Penagos (Sacramento Republic FC; Elk Grove, Calif.), Ray Serrano (Seattle Sounders FC; Graham, Wash.)

24. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I just realized how stacked this roster is with players from CA and WA. Where are the Jersey & NY guys, not to mention DFW, FL, etc?

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  25. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #350 TarHeels17, Sep 28, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
    Unfortunately, the Red Bulls don't have a Gary Kleiban figure to ask why the U17 call ups are biased against the East Coast.

We're missing a few guys here: Scally, Reyna, Busio, Bello, Tayvon Gray, Stroud (formerly a Red Bull), Redzic. Maybe they just chose guys who live closer to Mexico for this one.

Also, Cowell, along with Cuevas, is an 03.