2019 U-20 World Cup Roster Discussion

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by ussoccer97531, Nov 23, 2018.

1. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Well, in the sense that he would be lacking more extensive experience managing International level while seemingly having desirable attributes as a Bundesliga player and International level player with Switzerland.

We'll see how Berhalter's system does coming exclusively from pros (LA asst., Hammarby, Crew) before taking senior job.

2. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    even your exmple of origi is good enough for a top 10 national team in world...lol some "mistake"...

fair points from you....

but my point is that there are indeed examples of managers who don't make huge personal erratic moves...but instead make sensible moves that are at least based in logic and not sentiment.

its not about being klopp or guardiola just about being logical and maximizing each decision...and not succumbing to emotion....and furthermore - not accepting these types of poor managerial moves as okay just because they are commonplace. I totally reject the idea that it is okay when a mananger makes bad moves b/c "everyone else does it". no they don't. and even if they did, it still would not be okay.....if only for the fact that the majority of posters on here can see it immediately.

TarHeels17 repped this.
  3. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    What should our expectations for a U20 team be?

Winning the CONCACAF Championships and making back-to-back quarterfinals in the World Cup would seem to meet it. If you don't think CONCACAF is any good, then we should win it. Tab has been.

adam tash and Namdynamo repped this.
  4. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    player development should be the main goal of u20...but results enhance player development - they lead to better opportunities, confidence, etc....so you have to try to maximize results to optimize development. you can't separate development from results or vice versa.

its a fine line - b/c only playing for results can also mean limiting development.

Stylistically, playing with a bunch of dmids and hoofing it up to a lone striker while most of the team stays back on defense - as tab's teams have done at times - is the worst of both worlds in my opinion...it caps the ceiling of the team and also doesn't train them to be able to play for real later on - and that's why I'm not a fan of that approach regardless of results.

its not easy - i dont wanna be too critical - we will see how it plays out - but there was a lot of chatter about players left off the roster - we will see how it turns out.

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  5. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If this is our best player pool ever, and if we made the quarterfinals last time, then it seems like the goal should be to take it at least one step further this time.

There are going to be some very good teams in this tournament and it always takes some luck to advance that far, so I don’t don’t think we should be too disappointed if it doesn’t happen. Instead, we should judge based on what we see. As the tournament goes on, if the team starts to gel, works hard, makes good plays on the ball, good runs off it, and generally plays well, and if Tab doesn’t run them into the ground because of poor substitution habits, then regardless of where we sit at the end of the tournament, we should consider it a massive success and give Tab the praise he would deserve.

majspike, SCSAutism, Gacm32 and 2 others repped this.
  6. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do we make of this?

7. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles

8. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    If it’s Real, this is a very good development. Obviously, we hope it’s like a sprained ankle and he’s fine in two weeks but it’s clear Julian is a better player.

Gacm32 and Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  9. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Araujo is a right back. Just not Dest, please.

10. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless he literally got injured in the last two hours, it's not him. I doubt they're training that late and I doubt he got sent home for whatever reason.

butters59 repped this.
  11. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    We all felt he belonged with this group. Just depends who he’s actually replacing.

12. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Good, but then it can be any field player as there isn't enough of defenders on the roster anyway.

13. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    It might not be a defender. There are only six on the roster. Ramos usually picks seven.

14. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Rennicks, Akinola, and Pomykal were the ones carrying a knock into the WC.

15. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Were the first two carrying knocks or were they not being selected for the game-day roster?

16. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    I'm not sure that you can sub a player with a preexisting injury.

17. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    De la Fuente was too

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  18. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles

don Lamb, adam tash, bballshawn and 5 others repped this.
  19. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Rennicks has been injured since the last U20 camp and made the bench a couple weeks ago and then wasn’t on the bench again.

Akinola was mentioned on the TFC telecast I watched the other day (against DCU I believe) as having picked up a slight knock before leaving for the U20 WC. He wasn’t on the bench on 5/11 after starting on 5/8. Then he didn’t dress vs. Uruguay.

20. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    araujo being involved makes me happy. feel bad for ayo

rlrcpa, adam tash, Gacm32 and 3 others repped this.
  21. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Who's goal? Teams don't pick pre existing results. Teams prepare to play the best they can and then results come afterward.

22. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Seems like an odd exchange. A defender for a wide forward. Oh well.

23. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    #1423 ielag, May 21, 2019
    Last edited: May 21, 2019
    Guessing it's also Tab realizing he can correct a mistake. I think almost everyone on here would've had either Araujo in place of Akinola, Rennicks, or Servania on the original roster. We all know Real wasn't getting left off.

24. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Good good, now we won't see Ayo play out wide. Hopefully this might open up the possibility of dest on the wings

leppercut repped this.
  25. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Ehh I would rather have Llanez/De La Fuente and Weah with Dest and Gloster behind them. That would be the best wide combination I've seen for the US I've seen personally.