2019 Season Catch-All Thread

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by m vann, Feb 26, 2019.

1. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The “waiving” over buying out of Gashi has me thinking MLS knows another team is interested. Guess we will see in the next couple of days.

For those still thinking KSE is cheap, by waiving Gashi, the Rapids owe the whole amount left. If they bought him out the league would of covered the $500K+ that they do on all DP contracts. From what I read somewhere Friday.

COMtnGuy and JasonMa repped this.
  2. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    #102 TheWarmBurger, Mar 4, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
    I think offloading Blomberg wont be in the Rapids future right now, unless they bring in another non-international midfielder.

If our starting four is truly:
    -Mezquida
    -Acosta
    -Feilhaber
    -Price

Then that only leaves us with midfield depth players of: Boateng, Bassett, Blomberg, Nicholson, Serna (more on him later in this long rambling post), and *maybe* Hundley (who's listed as a forward on the roster, but who knows how they will utilize him)

If one of the starting fours go down in a similar situation to Kortne Ford's injury and is out for some time, then Bassett has proven himself to be promising so he would most likely be the first choice to step in.

Hundley is definitely an unproven at this point, so I wouldn't say we could count on him. Boateng and Nicholson have both proven themselves to be liabilities and not long term starter solutions.

That realistically leaves us with only Blomberg and Serna as the next in line as midfielders we could count on to be our best solid options if one of those starting four get injured for some time.

Serna seems to be our depth for Midfield, LB, and RB, so we will need him in a lot of rolls. Speaking of RB, who's our option to fill in Rosenberry's shoes??? Kortne Ford??? That leaves us weak at CB depth again, and Ford has proven he's a CB not a wing back, as he can defend well, but isn't the greatest asset on attack....

Blomberg's not the greatest, I get it, but he's shown flashes in the past of being a good offensive threat, and he's got plenty of experience. I think we keep Blomberg in as a depth piece in case of injuries, as the Rapids seem to have a penchant for getting lots of injuries....

Man, I love the remake of the roster, but there's still some GAPING wholes in depth if we lose one of our starters We seem OK on Striker depth - unless we're down to Jackson and Shinyashiki as our only starters healthy, that would certainly be interesting - but behind those we don't have a ton of options if somebody key goes down.

m vann repped this.
  3. rapidogordo

rapidogordo Member

Mar 12, 2016
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Quick jersey question I was hoping someone could help me with:

I picked up a new primary jersey at the DSG team store during the game. When I got home, I noticed that it said "2018" on the lower left of the jersey (arrow below).

Are they selling old versions of the team jersey in the team store, or has nothing changed since last year? If there is indeed a newer one, I will return it.

I noticed they had the new white secondary jerseys, so I just assumed I was picking out the latest and greatest.

Thanks

[​IMG]

4. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kits are on a 2-yr cycle so each team gets one new set of new kits per season. The Rapids home remains unchanged from 2018 but will be rotated out next season.

5. rapidogordo

rapidogordo Member

Mar 12, 2016
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids

Great - thanks for this info!

6. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Agree and get all of the above. What was driving my thought process is that the FO is going to be looking forward to the end of this season and 2020. Thus unloading international spots that aren't producing regularly would be a part of the process.

Of course the Rapids need to continue to have depth in midfield and be thinking about the post Feilhaber era. So perhaps they transfer Blomberg an/or Boateng, etc., out and bring in midfielders that have the talent to justify the salary and international spot. I would say the same thing for the back line.

Bassett looked really good in his brief time on the pitch Saturday and Hudson has stated that he really understands the tactics and has the skills - but needs to improve physically. I assume this means that sense he is 17 and still growing it's gonna be a few years before he's stronger. Regardless, it looks like he's a got a very bright future with the Rapids.

With Feilhaber, he's on a one year contract with an option year, IIRC. At the most he's got one more season beyond 2019. He's looked great thus far so parhaps he has one more season, but the Rapids need to be thinking about his "replacement" now.

Agree that there needs to be perhaps a bit more depth on the front line as well. And I think that Shinyashiki will be a very good MLS caliber forward.

Andy126 repped this.
  7. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    Yep I'm with ya! We've got some fixes for this year in Kamara and Feilhaber. We've some fixes for both now and moving forward in Rosenberry, Mezquida (who was a heck of a worker bee on saturday), Basset, Acosta, and Rubio - who I think will be a fantastic asset, the dude looks good in everything I've seen of him.

I also agree that Shinyashiki is going to be a great MLS forward. His movement off the ball speaks really well to that, and that game saving goal shows everything you want in a striker.

I'm excited to see who else the RFO brings in. They're building the team well so far, and of course, you can't bring everything in during one window.

It's always hard to say after one game, and a blizzard no less, so we will have to see how the next few games work out, but it looks like a different team out there. A better team.

8. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    A potential Argentine DP? And another homegrown signing.

Stuart95 repped this.
  9. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be clear (and they correct it later in the Twitter thread) Padraig didn't explicitly say the player they're looking at in Argentina was a potential DP. My bet, if they sign him, is that they're looking at somebody who would qualify as a young DP.

Andy126 repped this.
  10. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Do tell - any inside information? Would it make sense that this player is an attacking midfielder?

Should the Rapids sign another homegrown, will they set an MLS record for homegrowns on one team in one season?

I think given the signings and the state of MJ in Colorado we need to think of a new motto for the Rapids' thread ;).

11. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing beyond some 3 month+ old information that the team might be looking for a youth DP this year (and this was when they assumption was Gashi would still be here). The rest is just an educated guess that since Gashi is still hitting our cap the odds of us having ~$500K of cap space free to sign a new DP is unlikely, but youth DP's have a smaller cap hit.

Nah, not even close. Dallas has had a ton.

12. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rumors seem to be getting stronger that the big revenue teams want a 4th DP added in 2020.

22SteveD repped this.
  13. Droogie

Droogie Member

Sep 26, 2014
    What time of day do the Rapid's normally practice at Dick's?

14. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

jayd8888 repped this.
  15. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Either 11 or 12 but depending on th day I'm not sure how open they are to having fans watch

16. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    I think clubs should get to the point with homegrown slots that they have signed so many that we understand what their development philosophy is. I understand there are many ways to skin a cat. Including the youth development pipeline itself. I think MLS should be at a place where we have two or three big youth sells a season.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  17. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  18. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the Switchbacks perspective:
    https://www.switchbacksfc.com/news_...3sDu9X5H1ZfwZ81MWsRTECoP21yz4aGamSCNBEx2Xqx1U

SWITCHBACKS FC ACQUIRE ANDRE RAWLS & MATT HUNDLEY ON LOAN FROM COLORADO RAPIDS
    The Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC announced today the club has signed Andre Rawls and Matt Hundley on loan from the Colorado Rapids, pending USL Championship, MLS, and USSF approval.

Per the Right of Recall incorporated in the loan agreement, the Rapids retain the right to recall Rawls and Hundley at any point during the MLS regular season, subject to MLS roster compliance guidelines.

"Andre is a big addition as a loan player from the Rapids to the squad. He brings experience and he had a lot of success last season on loan to Orange County," said Switchbacks Head Coach, Steve Trittschuh. "He has settled in great with the team and we expect a lot out of him."

Rawls was a member of New York City FC (MLS) last year but he spent the entire season on loan to Orange County SC of the USL Championship. The 27-year-old keeper led Orange County to the Western Conference Championship of the 2018 USL Cup Playoffs with two clean sheets in three games, tied for the league lead in the playoffs. Rawls joined the Colorado Rapids after being selected third in the 2018 Re-Entry Draft on December 14, 2018.

19. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    1103345686542802950 is not a valid tweet id

SccrDon and COMtnGuy repped this.
  20. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    jayd8888, COMtnGuy and wormhole repped this.
  21. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Since there’s not a thread for the SKC match I’ll post this here.

22. rapidogordo

rapidogordo Member

Mar 12, 2016
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Three guys who are direly needed! This means at least two of them are almost ready for showtime.

23. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://irishtechnews.ie/insight-sf...ch-wearable-fitness-tests-for-elite-athletes/

24. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder