2019 Season Catch-All Thread

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by m vann, Feb 26, 2019.

1. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not much of a long-term (multi-year) thinker, I don't really think of him as a coach who works well with youngsters, his arrogance is annoying in general, etc.

COMtnGuy, Totoro and ogre1976 repped this.
  2. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Definitely need someone who can develop players, yup.

3. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #603 22SteveD, May 15, 2019
    Last edited: May 15, 2019
    Arena isn’t much of X & O’s tactician but a motivator and ego soother, I got a taste of it when he was HC at UVA.

I think he performs best with unlimited budget clubs, although this last spell with USMNT makes me wonder if the game has passed him up.

Also, Like @JasonMa mentioned, arrogant as they come.

JasonMa repped this.
  4. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    Wynalda

I know most on here don’t like the guy but he’s doing fine in Vegas

5. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Get back to me when he actually spends more than 1 year in a job. Also, when he produces something more than PR. Right now his production in Vegas is an 6 way tie for 6th place in an 18 team conference, so he's better than 7 of 18 teams, 2 of which have a game in hand that could catch or pass him.

(Besides, KSE is never going to hire a mouth like his)

6. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Started the game thread for the LA Galaxy game.

SccrDon and Centennial repped this.
  7. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona

Congrats to The Hound!! Wonder if this is why he hasn’t played too much the last couple games - been a little busy with that whole high school thing.

Good on ya kid, you’ve got a bright future

Andy126, SccrDon, AlbertCamus and 3 others repped this.
  8. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Crew are up next. Is Abubakar eligible to play? Some leagues say yes you can play against the parent club. Some leagues say no. Since the inter-league loan is used so rarely, I have no idea what the rule is.

9. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Andy126 repped this.
  10. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Great question and one I didn't think about until you mentioned it. It would really suck for him not to be able to play given what he's done for the Rapids in his first two matches.

11. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Good for him, but part of me doesn't want him to be gone from the Rapids for a month.

12. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was pretty sure there was no rule preventing loaned players from palying against their clubs but looking back I notice that MacMath was not on the bench for us when we played Philly during his loan, and Cascio was not in Houston's lineup when they played against us during his loan. Going to have to do more research.

Andy126 repped this.
  13. wormhole

wormhole Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Westminster, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Intraleague Loans

Clubs may loan a player to another MLS club subject to the following:

• The player must be 24 years old (or younger than the age of 24) at the time of the loan.
    • Each club may only loan one player to another MLS club per season.
    • The loan must be initiated during the Primary Transfer Window or Secondary Transfer Window.
      • Intraleague Loans that are initiated prior to the close of the Primary Transfer Window may allow the loaned player to be recalled during the Secondary Transfer Window as agreed upon between the two clubs. If recalled, such a player must remain with his original club for the remainder of the MLS season.
    • Except in an instance where the player is recalled as outlined above, he must remain with his new club for the entire MLS Season.
    • The player may not compete against his former club during the MLS Season while on loan (includes MLS games and all other competitions).
    • Intraleague Loans may include an option to make them permanent.

COMtnGuy, m vann, Sports Yak and 5 others repped this.
  14. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Well that sucks for the Rapids. I didn't even think about this when he first arrived. It's not gonna go over well with my family either :(.

15. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    A game thread has been started for this weekends match against the Crew.

17. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    Crazy/interesting stat for everyone...this is from the MLS pregame write up for tomorrow’s game at Columbus:

Let me repeat that. The second 1-0 since the start of last season....Now isn’t that one of the most Rapids things you’ve read all day?

fortcollins and COMtnGuy repped this.
  18. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When you've been as bad as we have its not that crazy.

19. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    #619 Totoro, May 24, 2019
    Last edited: May 24, 2019
    We'll have to count the 1-0 wins from 2016. That season seemed just as unusual, only for being on the winning side.

20. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Looks like 8 1-0 wins in 2016.

Overall win totals in years around that:

2014: 8
    2015: 9
    2017: 9
    2018: 8

21. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    I have a question that has been raised more than once before but really needs to be exposed and answered.

Why do so many players and coaches want to leave the Rapids?

Felhalber, Aigner,Gashi recently many many more in the past.

You may hear family matters mentioned or an unexplained illness where they need to go back home for a while never to return but reappearing on another team or league.

This league is mature enough for some in depth reporting into these types of smoke and screen announcements.

Hudson did have a valid point when he mentioned the lack of willingness to invest on DPs but with KSE this runs deeper , much deeper than that.

Single entity may be what has finally enabled soccer to finally stick in this country but when you had Anchutz and a little bit of Kraft financing 99% for years, that promotes picking favorites and conflicts of interest appear.

I can only speculate as to what players and coaches think of working for Anchutz then KSE but after 23 years it sure looks as thought we are considered the laughing stock of the league.

22. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What coaches wanted to leave the Rapids? Hudson, Pablo, Clavijo, Hankinson, and Mooch were all fired. Smith had a falling out with Hinchey and wasn't offered a new contract. Pareja left but that was less about leaving about KSE and more about going home to Dallas.

As for players I think its hard to come up with a universal reason. Feilhaber basically wasn't committed to what everyone knew was a rebuilding effort. Gashi didn't ant to leave but he didn't want to work either, he just wanted to get paid and get to play without staying in shape. Aigner had an ego to match Hudson's and that didn't work out but I'd argue that MLS is better than the German 3rd division where he's playing now so I think that was more on him than anything.

I mean you're not wrong, the Rapids don't have a good reputation and part of that is because KSE has historically been cheap but I think there are varied reasons for players leaving. I think the KSE rep hurts more with signing players in the first place than them leaving.

COMtnGuy, Totoro, TheWarmBurger and 2 others repped this.
  23. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some thoughts on Casey.

His adjustment have the Rapids looking more dangerous. Having Nicholson and Lewis on the wings has opened up the attack. Abubakar is the key to the defense. With Abubakar, Casey has just enough wiggle room to cobble together a barely adequate defense and take some pressure off Howard. The midfield is shaky. Casey has done far better than Hudson on getting the midfield to hold some possession and disrupt some attacks.

All in all, Casey's four matches have shown a relatively short learning curve and pretty solid tactical and lineup changes. The Rapids were a laughingstock under Hudson. Under Casey, the Rapids are still a weak team, but at least have a decent shot at mediocrity. That's a huge improvement.

kucsdat, COMtnGuy, Sal Paradise and 4 others repped this.
  24. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Houghton was really the only one who wanted to leave, and he never really wanted to be anywhere in the MLS. It was beneath his dignity.

JasonMa repped this.
  25. Riccardo55

Riccardo55 Member+

Mar 11, 2001
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BTW long term fans, it is after 5pm and hailing with lightning in Commerce City, and amazingly, there is no Rapids home game tonight!!!!!

Maybe an omen?

R