2019 Roster Thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by TrueCrew, Nov 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I really think Nagbe has no chance of getting what he wants unless they (Crew FO) have players leaving that we obviously dont know about

2. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There will clearly be some movement, now that we've added a few players to the roster recently,

3. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless he will be Pipa’s backup for this year. We still need someone to either back him up, or use in a different way in a formation change to 4-3-3 or something like that.

He’s on $620,000 a year though. That’s... quite a bit for a backuo or utility player.

Tobias C repped this.
  4. crew2112

crew2112 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Dayton, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I’m curious why Onstad allowed himself to be photographed and tweeted by the player’s management company. It must be a done deal otherwise it’s a bad idea.
    I like the change of pace from the FO. It gives us something to get excited about prior to the season. The closed lip, beat it kid attitude from previous ownership didn’t do them any favors.

catfish9 repped this.
  5. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want to thank some of you for breaking down Nagbe’s ability as a player. Because for the life of me, in all the times I watched him, I never quite figured out what he does.

He’s one of those MLS players in the vein of Sacha Kljestan and Tim Ream and a few others that seemed to get way more drool than they deserve. Everyone else seems really impressed by him, but he must do the impressive stuff in games I don’t watch.

puttputtfc repped this.
  6. rTheMassive

rTheMassive Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 14, 2015
    Pataskala, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure if Onstad knew the agency was going to tweet about him. All tweets/photos of Onstad were deleted today.

Bill Archer repped this.
  7. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nagbe is a bit like Kljestan in the sense that they are both really good at one thing, like one of the best players in the league good. Kljestan positioning and vision allowed him to just get crazy assists with NY. He's not the fastest, or flashy, but he knows where to be and can make the killer pass 9 times out of 10.

Nagbe can dribble and accelerate into space in midfield as well as anyone in MLS, period. Will he get a bunch of goals? No. Will he get a bunch of assists? No. Will he eliminate two or three defenders with one move and open up space on the counterattack? Fvck yeah he will. He plays too safe for my liking, but it is who he is at this point. If we went 4-3-3, with him and Artur together, and Trapp behind, I could dig it. Get the ball to Santos, Meram, and Zardes, they aren't shy about getting into the box and shooting at will.

Tobias C and Bill Archer repped this.
  8. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dont agree with the idea of him playing on top of a 3 person midfield. When you are a possession oriented team which Porter has said we will be then the creativity required in possession comes from that position. He hasn’t shown in his career the ability to be productive in that role.

I actually think that Berhalter in his double pivot 10’s that he has started using with the Nats might work. Don’t think the Crew could play that but he could be more successful when the entirety of the offense doesn’t run through him.

Tobias C repped this.
  9. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That’s what i meant:

———-Trapp
    —-Nagbe—-Artur

And the offense wouldn’t have to run through Nagbe. Trapp can play long or diagonal if needed, and Artur and Nagbe could combine and carry the ball forward, in their different styles. The front three would still be the main playmakers, mainly *shrugs* the wingers...

10. 7Secs

7Secs New Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 15, 2018
    Speaking of Steffen, there was a nice little interview with him last night on 10Tv where the host walks him through 10 prompts.

https://www.10tv.com/article/zack-steffen-plays-wall-10

I only caught the last 6 or so questions last night, but re-watched the clip just now. One thing left off the end of the clip is the host joking with Steffen that the following segment is about Urban (did they recognize him at the basketball game or something?), but Steffen got top-billing. It was funny to see the host acknowledge that the Crew and a player with a massive transfer fee deserves a TV spot over any old football filler story.

11. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand what you are saying but we don’t have playmaking wingers or a play creating forward. That version of this team would struggle to score. Not like we lite the league on fire with our offense last year.

Nagbe fits if he isn’t asked to be the creator so if we had a couple different pieces then I could understand how he fits but for now I am not seeing it.

12. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, just how I see it potentially fitting together. We need at least one starting caliber winger, that’s priority number one.

13. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    As noted previously, Nagbe's role in Atlanta was in transition, linking defense to offense in our quick transition game. He wasn't expected to score goals nor provide a lot of defensive support. In that role he flourished here making the All Star team.

Not sure why he wants out, perhaps Frank de Boer's system will demand more versatility from players, or perhaps he just wants to go home and play for Caleb Porter? I do know he isn't even training with the team and we are less than 2 weeks away from our first CCL match. As far as I know he is well regarded by Atlanta fans and teammates. A final note, we paid a lot to bring him to Atlanta, so this saga is puzzling.

odave, Tobias C and Bill Archer repped this.
  14. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm stuck on this as well. I don't get what's going on here.

MLSinSTL repped this.
  15. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's why they call it the "silly season"....

MLSinSTL repped this.
  16. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know we are all guessing but I dont think this has anything to do with Frank de Boer. Nagbe showed up late to preseason. Unless him and Frank has a bunch of phone calls and detailed conversations it’s kinda hard to have any conclusive understanding how a new manager will play you and thus be unhappy about it. That’s information you get from actual training and time with a new coach. As you said, he hasn’t been with the first team training so I dont think this is a symptom of a new coach.

My guess is Porter + family + new excitement around the team has made him want to come back to Ohio.

17. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Well the local paper is reporting he isn't training with the team at all anymore, so he won't be in a 5 Stripe kit next season and Columbus seems like the logical place for him to land. We also released Chris McCann, freeing up more salary cap room. Perhaps we will hear some real news soon.

18. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #518 Tobias C, Feb 11, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    Take this for whatever its worth but both wikipedia and transfermarkt have him listed as a "midfielder" and "main position: CM. Other positions: CB, DM), respectively. FIFA game kinda corroborates that for what that's worth as well.

The wiki on him says:

Munetsi was signed by South African National First Division side F.C. Cape Town in July 2015. The team released a statement saying that he was "...in the mould of a typical Yaya Touré. Big‚ strong‚ mobile and a good passer of the ball."

So if nothing else...maybe were kinda like getting our new Tony Tchani or something. At 22, hell probably be okay with being depth, a rotational option. And if hes in the mix with his national team in Zimbabwe, then that's great because hell get more playing time, and we still have Clark who's perfectly capable of filling in serviceably.

If this is a real report....I'm cool with it.

(edit) ....and upon looking at Zimbabwe NTs and Orlando Pirates most recent few games... It seems like he primarily plays as a center back for his national team....but spends time between CM and CB at Orlando fairly equally.

19. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    If he is a CB I’m ok with that we may have depth at that position but I’m sure this guy brings athleticism and speed . Maybe Sauro and or Crognale are on the way out. I would think Mensah and Abubakar are safe but with a new staff maybe they will make changes sooner than we thought

20. Dr.Fever

Dr.Fever Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Oct 19, 2018
    It is depth/replacement for Trapp, if true, imo. Trapp could be gone with USMNT for spats. Perhaps actually competing in all competitions means we can't have Trapp starting every game in every competition. If Caleb runs his 4-2-3-1 in the back like GGG did, then the CDM falls back to a CB position anyways, so having a guy that plays CM/CD I think slots right in for Trapp depth, or even a future replacement if the Captain leaves us this summer.

21. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have 6 CBs right now, not counting this guy.

Mensah, Sauro, Williams, Abubakar, Crognale, and Keita.

Tobias C repped this.
  22. jairadballerina

jairadballerina Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    C-Town
    I predict a riot

23. jairadballerina

jairadballerina Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    C-Town
    Please...Herrera couldn't even carry Jamal Sutton's jock strap. I have it on good authority that Junk Shot one timed it off a cross from Eric Vasquez.

Flyer Fan repped this.
  24. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It really doesn’t make sense unless there are plans to move a few let them. Keita needs to be given minutes as the youngest with the most potential. This guy will just get in the way.

25. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Loan out Keita to a USL team?
    (I know Bez has a lot on his plate right now, but an affiliation with a USL side really would help development of younger players like Keita. ISTM It’d be better to have a USL affiliate playing in Cleveland where they could draw independent fans rather than a Crew II playing here. IMO. But I digress...)
    Would Crognale go for another year of being loaned out?
    Sauro is getting long in the tooth but could still be around a year or two. Williams is a serviceable backup. Do we cut ties with him sooner than later?
    This new guy must be cover/depth for the DM spot.
    I don’t know how Nagbe fits in the system, though.