2019 Revs Pre-Season Roster Thread

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, Nov 2, 2018.

1. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please enlighten us with the Cliff Notes version. I don't know anything about him other than what I skimmed on his Wiki page. Is he a "head case" or injury prone? There are all kinds of reasons why a 28-year old might be available, and the saying goes that if he was any good, his existing team would want to keep him.

2. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rodwell didn't have a Relegation Clause in his contract, so he ended up as one of the highest paid players in the Championship.

Sunderland couldn't afford him and tried to force him to leave the club. They needed bodies, and the manager complained that he could sign four players for what the club was paying Rodwell.

Near the end of the January window, Rodwell received an offer. (Possibly from the Revs???) The club told him that if he didn't tear up his contract and leave, he'd spend the rest of the season training with the Youth Academy.

Rodwell chose to stay. Sunderland were relegated to League One.

dncm and a517dogg repped this.
  4. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the explanation. So his agent didn't negotiate the kind of deal most players have and it created a bad situation all around. Who knows what that offer was? But he wound up at Blackburn, so unless Sunderland is still paying him, it's better than being with the youth team. Maybe the Revs might not be a bad option for him, if he's been in limbo and wants to actually play.

On the surface, he sounds like he might be OK for us. He's even scored a few long-range goals. Now that Rowe is gone, we need someone to keep the defense honest.

5. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I don't think there was the expectation to get there this year - in my memory, I think I remember him including an 'eventually', but maybe that's just how I took it.

6. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And so Project Blackburn continues. Friedel has a Master Plan, and it has the Late Great Fizzy Pop written all over it.

7. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that is a huge jump from 55 to 40 in one off season. I don't think bring in Castillo is going to make a huge impact on those numbers. I still think a seasoned CB, with size, is the answer. Mancienne at 6'1 is the biggest back on the team. Love to find an imposing CB that is 6'3 or bigger

8. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Perfect fit for the Revs front office. "Hey, nobody made you sign that contract."

swedust and TOAzer repped this.
  9. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NFLPatriot repped this.
  10. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think there were multiple clubs that were interested in Bojan, including the Revs.

I sort of think the Bojan ship has sailed with the signing of Carles Gil, though. Or at least it should have.

11. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Things have quieted down on player rumors on Revs front...

12 days till Season Opener. Wow!

12. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With only one and a half weeks until the opener, the Revs have 25 players signed (5 open slots).

I'd assume they will sign SuperDraft pick DeJuan Jones soon, making it 26.

If they sign another foreign player, I doubt they'd have the paperwork done in time for the opener, so what they have now is what they will have for opening day:

Road to March 2: Catch up with your team's moves ahead of the 2019 season
    February 15, 2019, 12:50PM EST
    Tom Bogert

New England Revolution

13. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/01/01/mls-2019-offseason-club-snapshots
    Projected starting XI (4-2-3-1 right to left): GK Matt Turner – Andrew Farrell, Jalil Anibaba, Michael Mancienne, Edgar Castillo – Luis Caicedo, Scott Caldwell – Diego Fagundez, Carles Gil, Cristian Penilla – Juan Fernando Caicedo

The bold above really just scares me. Kinda excited about Diego, Gil, Penilla and JFC. I think they may cause some issues for defenders, certainly more than the Revs attackers did last year. I fear at the end of the year we will hear the annual "we were so close in just about every game" quote from Burns

14. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I'm not sure why Castillo and Turner should scare you - they are MLS quality.

And, I'd be surprised if Anibaba starts ahead of Delamea. While Toni was inconsistent last year, his stellar 2017 season shows what he is capable of in a defense that isn't changing parts constantly.

OTOH, if Mancienne isn't better than what he showed last year, then, yes, there's reason to worry.

dncm, BrianLBI and teskicks repped this.
  15. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    I agree Tony would be my 1st choice at RCB.

I'm a little scared of Farrell at RB, because Brad seems to insist on his FB attacking and Farrell isnt that.

Also that spot next to Caicedo is still way up in the air (and I know a number of people who think Caicedo's spot is too). Lots of unproven candidates who could take over there, some which could probably work within the right scheme. Whether or not Brad is a schemer who can make that happen is probably the biggest ? for the defense

dncm repped this.
  16. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m still thinking we need an upgrade at RB and DM. It’s getting awfully quiet.

17. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see Turner in the same light as Brad. of all the starters in the league I would have him about 18-20, maybe lower. He definitely started off the season looking like a #1 but soon faded and showed why he has been a career back up. While Castillo should be a step above Bye on the left but at 32 he is a patch and not a fix. We are still left with a hole in the middle next to a questionable Mancienne and a very inconsistent Farrell at RB. This is why I am scared.

18. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Being firmly convinced that with the Revs this year will be another example of "What's Past is Prologue", I have no fear. Fear is only for those who have hope.

firstshirt repped this.
  19. teskicks

teskicks Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 14, 2002
    Wrentham, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The little bits and pieces I am hearing make it sound like Bye may be passing Farrell on the depth chart. I would not be surprised to see him starting.

20. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    That would be quite a shocker if it happened. The only clue I remember seeing is Friedel saying something about Farrell as cb depth.

21. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With two games left Brad needs to really start settling in on a lineup. I would think tonight we may see more of what the lineup may look like against Dallas

22. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    I am still interested to see who Friedel goes with in goalkeeper. You would have to think it is Turner, but given the way the year ended until we see the starting lineup, we will not know. If it is Turner, how is he after his "layoff"?

This will be an interesting decision by Friedel and who he goes with. I agree Delemea probably gets the nod first.

I agree here too and am very interested to see how Friedel has grown/changed based on what he saw last year and how Farrell played. Specifically on Farrell and as part of the whole team system.

Amen!

23. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ProSoccerUSA gives the Revs a B for their off-season moves.

24. teskicks

teskicks Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 14, 2002
    Wrentham, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also saw a clip where he praised Bye for the unusual leap forward he has made in the off-season.

25. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting...but wrong IMHO. To be more clear, I give them credit for a couple encouraging signings. But there are a lot of similarities to other off seasons. The roster is short bodies as usual, our DP/TAM buydown player list isn’t all that impressive relatively speaking, they’re still looking and failing to deliver on the last, management identified need, and we’re pondering Annibaba vs. Farrel as starting RB for bleeps sake (not to mention which out of 3 marginal keepers will start).

When I throw in a valid, again IMHO, concern that our coach doesn’t have a deep bag of tactical tricks and enters a 2nd season where everyone has seen him before... I’m concerned we’ll be watching ghosts of seasons past.

NateP and firstshirt repped this.