2019 Revs Pre-Season Roster Thread

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, Nov 2, 2018.

1. BrianGockley

BrianGockley New Member

NE Revolution
    United States
    Feb 3, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, any guesses on what the gameday roster looks like? Here is my first take:

Caicedo2

Penilla. Gil. Fagundez

Caldwell. Caicedo1

Castillo. Mancienne. Delamea. Farrel

Knighton

2. Doublecard

Doublecard Guest

My spanish is bad, but I have the strong urge to call one Caiced-uno and the other Caice-dos.

swedust, NFLPatriot and A Casual Fan repped this.
  3. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    I was actually thinking Caicedo and C2, but I like this too.

4. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    I think this will be very interesting how Friedel addresses this. Last year he was saying Turner was worthy of a Nats Call-up.

Cropper then showed up on a milk carton, Turner played the season - until Friedel "gives him a break" and runs out Knighton to end the disaster of a season.

Now we get this:

https://www.revolutionsoccer.net/po...ts-goalkeeper-battle-heats-revs-draw-viktoria

Another goalkeeper battle underway as Cropper, Knighton, Turner all impress

“I thought Cody played well today,” Friedel said. “I thought Matt played well the other day and Brad played well the other day and today, so there’s another battle on for the first position. We’ll see how it shapes out.”

5. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
  6. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    NFLPatriot, BrianLBI and firstshirt repped this.
  7. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    never a bad thing to have competition. Turner came out of nowhere last year. Knighton is basically a career back up keeper. Cropper the young guy with tons of potential. Hopefully Brad handles this the right way.

9. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wouldn't QPR want their loan to have a good chance of getting playing time? At least assuming they aren't just trying to schlub the player off on some other team (loan to transfer)...

tsb11 and BrianLBI repped this.
  10. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    NFLPatriot repped this.
  11. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    He got some good playing time in Spain; lets see how it goes when they get to FL.

12. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As the Revs about that, when they were hoping some of their loanees would get significant playing time in the USL.

13. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Sometimes, yes. But, other times they are just trying to off-load [salary] expenses and/or facilitate a sale.

When a player has little playing time to review, it's hard to settle on a transfer fee - so a loan deal with option to purchase is a way forward.

14. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According this https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/02/11/warshaw-each-mls-teams-most-irreplaceable-player Mancienne is one player we cannot do without. I don't really disagree. I find the underlined interesting. Seems the fans were not the only ones to notice his poor play last year
    New England Revolution
    Michael Mancienne: It was refreshing to see the Revs make a big investment on a center back – upward of $1 million in annual salary, according to MLS Players Association figures. But it also puts a lot more risk on the single player, because they don’t have as many resources to hedge the bet. If he’s poor again, the Revs could have a similar season to 2018.

NFLPatriot repped this.
  15. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Mancienne's play was glaringly bad enough that even a caveman could notice (Yes, I'm looking at you Ben Olson:cool:). I think that's probably correct as issue 1, but issues 1a, b and c are finding more possession, variety of tactical play and scoring.

rkane1226 repped this.
  16. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    #316 rkupp, Feb 12, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    Friedel mentioned that on Sunday, when asked about "the press" (in particular, using it in extremely hot, away games). His response was that he wanted "the press" in some form or another, to always be part of the plan - mentioning that Barca, Man City, etc. immediately go full press when they lose the ball.

But, he said, the plan is to surround the press with more possession, better passing, more skilled play. So, I'd say he agrees with you.

And, he also talked about offense and defense.

- defense: he said we gave up 55 goals last year and 61 the year before that. He acknowledged that you will never challenge for Supporter's Shield, let alone not struggle to make the playoffs, with numbers like that. His goal is to get GA down into the 30's.

- offense: he said the stats showed we were among the league leaders in chances (I forget the stat - I think it was shots from 10 yards and in), but our finishing rate was one of the worst in the league. So, his focus was to improve the finishing rate (and mentioned Caicedo Dos as a key factor there). And, adding in that finishing better will take a lot of pressure off the defense!

17. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Castillo should help but If his goal is to be in the 30's he needs to address his back line more than taking on a young unproven CB on loan. I can only hope that if they continue to give up goals they will look for help this summer or sooner.
    As for goals with the addition of Gil and Caicedo i have the feeling we will see better scoring chances and a higher percentage of those going in. I think Gil, Caicedo, Pennila and Diego will be a handful. If Jones and Rennicks are the real deal that will only help. Teal and Juan are streaky players. I don't see Juan helping out much nor do i see 11 goals from Teal again

18. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    By xG the Revs actually outscored their chances (48 GF vs 45.1 xG). Thats not to say that the Revs didn't let lots of extremely good chances go wanting last season (I'm look at you Juan), but statistically their offense created about as many goals as you'd expect it to have created, which was solidly bottom half of the league

As for GA, getting into the 30's is very ambitious, only 3 teams were sub 40 last year. ~50 seems to be the median, so getting down into the mid 40's, combined with a solid uptick in scoring, would vault the Revs into the east's elite

19. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the goal is to be "in the 30s" for GA and they end up at, say 43, I'll take it! Far better to fall short of an ambitious goal than to settle for "good enough."

BrianLBI and NFLPatriot repped this.
  20. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

21. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone on Twitter suggested that the mystery 2nd signing could be Jack Rodwell, which I have to admit makes some sense on a number of levels.

22. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Between Bojan and Rodwell, they're really going for reclamation projects.

23. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmm, English defender, Blackburn connections, not going to be a high cost transfer fee, not a "name" player, but still could be a good player in this league....

24. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i would not hate this

25. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #325 Mike Marshall, Feb 14, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    Can play in the center of defense or as a defensive midfielder, free agent at the end of the season, might welcome a change of scenery, Revs have been linked in the past, etc...

Then again, it's pretty tough to envision a Manager who's spent the last year and a half talking about mentality signing Jack f***ing Rodwell.

(If you don't know what that means, fire up the Netflix Machine and watch a documentary called "Sunderland 'Til I Die".)