2019 Not Rapids Related Stuff

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by COMtnGuy, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    If you want to take a deep dive on the topic go to the WWC Referee discussion. And speaking of dives, VAR doesn't review anything that happens during the run of play that doesn't lead directly to a goal so no help with one of the biggest problems but lots of 'fixes' for things that may not be all that broken. As someone at the thread I recommended mentioned VAR worked well last summer at the WC because they mostly didn't use it -- now that they are using it more YMMV.

https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/2019-wwc-referee-discussion-rs.2090742/

COMtnGuy and JasonMa repped this.
  2. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we all know the problem with VAR...
    Untitled.jpg

3. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, USMNT is still not looking good and McKennie might be out with injury now.

4. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Panama- T&T score was interesting. Is T&T not good this time around?

Not going to Mile High tonight, but am still curious if Canada can make a game of it.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  5. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Kind of more into the Women's WC, not going tonight either. I might if Mexico or whoever they are playing were my team though.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  6. Sal Paradise

Sal Paradise BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 14, 2009
    Club:
    Jaguares de Chiapas FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do have tickets and figure that the stadium will be about 95% Mexican fans. We don't expect Canada to win but hope they make a game out of it. Just looking for some good soccer.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  7. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Should be fun with all the Mexican fans.

8. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, we have the Las Vegas Wynaldas, the Memphis Howards and soon, the San Diego Donovans....

Landon Donovan is getting his professional soccer franchise and it will play in the United Soccer League.

According to SI, Donovan and Warren Smith, founder and former owner of the USL’s Sacramento Republic FC, will be granted a USL Championship expansion team in San Diego. The new team will launch in either the 2020 or 2020 season and will play at the 6,000 seat Torero Stadium on the campus of the University of San Diego.

https://sbisoccer.com/2019/06/landon-donovan-to-launch-usl-franchise-in-2020-or-2021

9. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well another VAR’d PK ruling sends Scotland home. I just don’t see the need ever for VAR with a PK. You have both a referee and side judge focused on just 3 things.

If they can’t get it right than get rid of them completely and have some digital gizmo referee the entire game, give it a taser so it can be used on any players who approach it to argue calls.

Totoro, SccrDon, Paranoid Coyote and 2 others repped this.
  10. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

SccrDon repped this.
  11. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hooray for Horan! Scored 3 minutes into the US-Sweden match. Shut those Swedes up quick!

12. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crap, thanks for reminder

13. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Backing my nationality over my heritage in this one, obviously, but hoping for good things for Sweden after this match.

m vann repped this.
  14. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I didn't realize Owen Goal was playing in the US-Sweden game....

15. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    DVR'ing it. Looking forward to the knockout rounds live this weekend.

16. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    AlbertCamus and 22SteveD repped this.
  17. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Nope, not good.

US can only play who's in front of them though.

JasonMa repped this.
  18. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    That VAR call on Thauvin of France bufuddled me.

19. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USWNT
    Alright Ladies let's go!

SccrDon and AlbertCamus repped this.
  20. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    What did you think of the second PK call today against Spain? Aye yi yi. I'm glad the US is moving forward, but they need to add a new rule to the book--no PK's unless there is actual contact.

Man, if I'm the ref, I use VAR to overturn that decision. The "her studs were up" explanation doesn't pass the laugh test. Or at least it shouldn't.

21. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was The PK Call That Launched A Thousand Tweets (or millions...)

I think I'm with you. I really don't think that the camera angles conclusively showed one way or the other if any contact was made. It really does look like Lavelle made a meal of minimal or no contact.

As Richard Fleming tweeted, this raises the issue of the fine line between awarding PKs to discourage contact and rewarding embellishment of minimal contact.

22. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not saying she didn’t dive but FIFA TV replay clearer shows studs contact on her shin.

Really hate any PK call when player isn’t moving/ positioning “at goal” but it is what it is.

Will be interesting what FIFA does about Cameroon’s conduct. I go back to my robot taser idea, FIFA will then have fouls, taser fouls, yellows and Red cards.

Paranoid Coyote repped this.
  23. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    No call on the MMA headlock on Rapinoe just a little later (in the box near the post) should have cleared the books on the soft pk. Don't believe in make-up calls but either she didn't see it or saw it and didn't call it. Also not certain if the VAR booth would have had camera angle but the no call sure seemed a clear and obvious error but maybe not eligible for review?

Overall France is licking their chops and Germany is having a laugh at the bracketing.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  24. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    No call on the MMA headlock on Rapinoe just a little later (in the box near the post) should have cleared the books on the soft pk. Don't believe in make-up calls but either she didn't see it or saw it and didn't call it. Also not certain if the VAR booth would have had the camera angle we had on FS1 but the no call sure seemed a clear and obvious error but maybe not eligible for review?

Overall France is licking their chops and Germany is having a laugh at the bracketing.

25. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    I thought both PK's were soft, but especially that 2nd one. Bailed them out, they looked bad today.
    France has not looked great but they have speed and quality. Will the US make lineup changes to counter that? They seemed slow today.